doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Marks_21 A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/15/23 05:00 PM
I am thinking Christmas came a little early this year.
Hollenbeck 28 ga.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: John Roberts Re: A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/15/23 06:07 PM
Wow! That is an extremely rare piece, Mark. Beautiful little gun. Looks to be basically untouched and tight. Give us more details please.
JR
Posted By: campero Re: A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/15/23 06:10 PM
I'm in love with 28 ga since years ago and your gun is a pretty lady handmade. Enjoy a lot with it!

Yes, please, give more details as John says.
Posted By: Mark II Re: A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/15/23 07:18 PM
Very nice!
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/15/23 07:26 PM
Beautiful and clearly very rare. If I might ask, what are the specifications (LOP, drop at comb, drop at heel, barrel length, weight, chokes, etc.)?
Posted By: eightbore Re: A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/15/23 08:11 PM
Not an ugly gun.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/15/23 08:12 PM
]
Posted By: 12boreman Re: A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/15/23 09:33 PM
I didn't even know they did one in 28 gauge. I have a Hollenbeck drilling in 16x16x25-20 s.s. What a wonderful gun you have. Christmas candy indeed!
Posted By: Fudd Re: A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/15/23 09:47 PM
I love the way they sculpted the backsides of the breeches. Lovely shotgun.
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/15/23 09:53 PM
My favorite three barrel gun is a 16 x 16 x .25-35. I wish I had tried harder to bag a buck with it. I guess there’s always tomorrow.
That is gorgeous. As beautiful as it is now can we even imagine what it looked like when new?
Posted By: Fudd Re: A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/16/23 03:14 AM
I keep coming back to look at this subtle, glorious thing.

Originally Posted by Marks_21

Look at the way the cheat-line at the back of the fence runs so perfectly into the carving on the buttstock.

This is Art.

Exquisite acquisition, Mister Sir.
Posted By: Tamid Re: A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/17/23 01:53 PM
Originally Posted by Fudd
I love the way they sculpted the backsides of the breeches. Lovely shotgun.

And the way the lines meet the stock and carry on along the cheeks. Very symmetrical.
What does the 28 ga. weigh ?
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/18/23 09:17 PM
It weighs an even 6 lbs. The barrels are quite substantial. 26 inches - moderate chokes - short chambers. A case of 2.5 in RST shells really brought out my alligator arms!
Posted By: ed good Re: A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/19/23 02:48 PM
very nice...
Interesting on the weight. I have one in a similar grade with ejectors that weighs #5 15 oz. It is a 16 ga. Back in the day it was common to have 20 gauges weigh more than 16 gauges of the same make since the 20 ga required more steel to be left to fit the same frame as the 16 ga,.

Posted By: eightbore Re: A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/19/23 11:18 PM
Did this wonderful prize surface from West Virginia or maybe the Shenandoah area? It doesn't look like it travelled far.
Wow! Love that little 28!
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/20/23 01:35 PM
I’d say I brought her about halfway home here in VA. I don’t do much waxing nostalgic about weight and dimensions but I sure do wish these guns to tell details of where they’ve been and what they’ve seen.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/20/23 02:20 PM
For those of us who like and use these old guns, weight and dimensions are how we compare and contrast what works and doesn't work for ourselves. It would be interesting to understand how early subgauge American guns were set up in the very early day of production here. For something as clearly unique as this little 28, those dimensions would tell us an interesting tale.
Posted By: eightbore Re: A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/20/23 02:40 PM
Wouldn't it be nice to know when this West Virginia beauty was made in contrast to the first production of the 28 gauge Parkers in 1899.
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/20/23 03:11 PM
I like and use them just fine, thank you wink
I would like to know where they’ve been though. I found my eight gauge in Galveston, Texas. I can’t imagine the birds ( and storms) it must’ve seen.

EIGHTBORE -
Very low serial number going to assume first year of production —-should that put us at 1901?
Posted By: doublenut Re: A "little" West VA Christmas Candy. - 12/23/23 03:08 AM
Marks 21,
Very nice Hollenbeck/TBG Co. 28 gauge. Very few made as I am sure you are aware!! Would love to know serial number. I have a copy of factory records and would be curious to see if it is listed. Love it!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com