doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Chawk Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/13/23 10:10 PM
Hi everyone, first post here. I am a relative newcomer to SXS and a few days ago I picked up a 28 gauge Bernardelli Roma 3 (sideplated boxlox). I was able to take the barrels and forend off and put it back together a few times but now I cant close the action as the ejectors hit on the extended firing pins. The firing pins move if I press down on them so I know they aren't stuck. Like I said, I'm fairly new to SxS's so it could be something very simple that I'm doing wrong but any help would be appreciated.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Fudd Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/13/23 10:26 PM
Have you tried pressing the ejectors flush into their pockets before you attempt to mount the barrels on the action? If yes, do they go in smoothly?
Posted By: Chawk Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/13/23 10:39 PM
Pushing both ejectors in results in the same situation. The right ejector goes in and out smoothly the left hits a 'snag' at some point and requires much more effort.
Posted By: Fudd Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/13/23 11:14 PM
I just put one of my boxlock ejectors (an old Browning B-SS) together. Its ejectors do stand proud, after I've pushed them flush, when I mount the barrels, but they have no problem camming over the extended firing pins when I reassemble and close the shotgun. You were able to do it a couple of times before this problem appeared, though?

Are you remembering to keep the opening lever fully to the right throughout the entire re-assembly process?

And... There ought to be a screw between the two protrusions on the underside of the barrel. It's a fore-and-aft travel-stop for the ejectors. Is it sitting flush with the surface it's inlet into, or is it standing proud a bit? Because maybe your ejectors are sticking out a bit too much after you went through your takedown exercises. The screw might have backed-out a bit.

Note that I'm pretty new at this, too. I've had my share of DOH! moments with my shotguns.
cock the hammers/tumblers. you released them (pulled the triggers) while you had the barrels off the action.
Posted By: Fudd Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/14/23 01:19 AM
Originally Posted by bushveld
cock the hammers/tumblers. you released them (pulled the triggers) while you had the barrels off the action.

Given that the original poster can't get the shotgun to close in the first place in order to recock the hammers, is this done by pushing the receiver's cocking dogs (or whatever they're properly called) against the edge of a workbench or kitchen table, or something? (I seem to recall a Midway video wherein their ancient British gunsmith did just that.)
The edge of the wooden workbench is the classic method. Removing the false sideplates may allow access to the hammer/tumbler.

I assume that you are referring to Jack Rowe as their "ancient" British gunsmith in the Midway videos. If you had known him you would have more respect of him and his years than that. I suspect that you are of the generation where the most common word in their vocabulary is "awesome".
Posted By: Fudd Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/14/23 03:45 AM
Yes, Mister Jack Rowe. Your assessment of my age is incorrect, and I expected the term "ancient" to be interpreted in the most honorific manner. As in, having the knowledge of the Ancients.

Now. Let's dust our hands and help this 28-gauge owner solve his problem. Constructively.
]
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/14/23 01:04 PM
I suspect, as others have suggested, you need to cock the gun by pushing on the cocking dogs. I would only add to do one at a time. Pressing them on the edge of a table takes a good bit of force.
Posted By: mark Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/14/23 02:02 PM
If you’re going to try cocking this way don’t do it on a piece of furniture. Do it on the edge of a wood bench or a piece of wood clamped into a vise.
Or…..you can remove the actions cover plate and cock the action by pushing down on the seam created by the cocking limb & hammer/tumbler. This cocks the action. Do this by using a piece of wood or a non-marring tool made from copper or brass. Do not use a screwdriver or a steel punch.🤨
This method will save the edge of the table and also prevent you from potentially damaging pieces like ejector cocking limbs etc.
This method is also useful if you have the barrels attached and you can’t open the action (striker/tumbler issue, etc).

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Would removing the extractors from the barrel and then assembling the gun work. I'm thinking one might then cock the gun.
"I suspect, as others have suggested, you need to cock the gun by pushing on the cocking dogs. I would only add to do one at a time. Pressing them on the edge of a table takes a good bit of force." Nitrah

However, do not use your wife's antique dining room table for this operation...Geo
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
"I suspect, as others have suggested, you need to cock the gun by pushing on the cocking dogs. I would only add to do one at a time. Pressing them on the edge of a table takes a good bit of force." Nitrah

However, do not use your wife's antique dining room table for this operation...Geo

now, that is truly sage advice....

best regards,
tom
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/14/23 05:58 PM
It's really simple don't work on the gun without proper tools don't remove anything you don't have to and jack was a great guy always treated me great .when I have questions about the trade or gun work I really miss jack and len.
Try using the forend to re-cock it.
Originally Posted by mc
It's really simple don't work on the gun without proper tools don't remove anything you don't have to and jack was a great guy always treated me great .when I have questions about the trade or gun work I really miss jack and len.

Mark;

When Jack Rowe (one of the Dean's of British Gunsmithing) agreed to work with Midway to produce the videos of Jack demonstrating techniques mostly of Boxlock British guns, Jack was already about 5 years into suffering significantly from Parkinson's Disease. He had only a couple of more years to live. In his case the Parkinson's caused many issues, one of which was his word pronunciation and in a year or so it was almost impossible for me to understand what he was saying our telephone calls of about every two weeks--sometimes I could only pick up maybe 20 per cent of what he was telling me about the gun trade of Birmingham to where I could take note.

Jack was extremely interested in teaching others how to properly repair and build British guns and he wanted to do the Midway videos very much. One of the venues of his teaching was down at Tishomingo, Oklahoma at the Murray State College where he was scheduled to teach several days. Jack did not show up for this class and someone drove up to his home and found him dead (I think my memory was correct in this).

Back in 1999 I videoed much of his lecture at Murray State College and have it on a VHS video--all in the clear voice and humor of his own. If there is a reader here who is capable of taking this video and downloading it to modern video format I would like to know about it so that I can then have it to give to others at only the cost occurred in making the copy. This video shows Jack's famous flaming linseed oil soaked T shirt wrapped bun buttstock bending as well as some of the "tales" of the Birmingham gun trade---Jack did not suffer the under-educated easily.

Unfortunately, I never met Len.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/14/23 08:37 PM
Everytime I talked to jack he asked how len was, when len died I called jack to tell him he was surprised because len was so young I think 10 years between them.i would contribute to having the video tape transfered that would be great to have.Mark
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/14/23 08:39 PM
I think jack died in a retirement home I had talked to him when he was there he wanted to get back to work but passed soon after I might have the home messed up.
Posted By: Chawk Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/14/23 10:40 PM
I was able to cock the gun on a wooden table and it went right back together. Thank you so much for your help everyone. Once I get a chance to take some pictures tomorrow I'll start a new thread about this little gun.
Posted By: Fudd Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/14/23 11:37 PM
Excellent news. And, I'm a fan of the 28-gauge, and I look forward to your next thread.
Posted By: keith Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/14/23 11:38 PM
Originally Posted by bushveld
Back in 1999 I videoed much of his lecture at Murray State College and have it on a VHS video--all in the clear voice and humor of his own. If there is a reader here who is capable of taking this video and downloading it to modern video format I would like to know about it so that I can then have it to give to others at only the cost occurred in making the copy. This video shows Jack's famous flaming linseed oil soaked T shirt wrapped bun buttstock bending as well as some of the "tales" of the Birmingham gun trade---Jack did not suffer the under-educated easily.

Unfortunately, I never met Len.

Kindest Regards;
Stephen Howell

Stephen, There are several ways you could accomplish transferring this VHS tape to a digital format. You can purchase the equipment to do it yourself at a relatively modest cost, and then burn DVD's. Or you could use a service that does it. The Photo dept. at your local WalMart will transfer VHS to a DVD or a USB stick for $12.99, and I would imagine that additional copies get even cheaper. Legacybox is currently running a 60% off Christmas promotion doing transfers for $7.99. There are numerous other services that do this that can be found on a Google search. Several years ago, my sister had the old 8mm home movies my parents took converted to DVD's for a fairly nominal cost, and gifted a copy to each sibling.

In any event, you might want to convert at least one copy for yourself since VHS tapes deteriorate over time. Even the most common digital storage mediums can become corrupted and unplayable over time, so storing an additional copy as a file on your PC is a good idea too. I learned this the hard way with some photos I had stored on old USB sticks. But fortunately nothing too important, and not as bad as losing the information about how the ancients built the pyramids. Cloud storage on Dropbox, Google Drive, Microsoft OneDrive is also extra insurance against loss.

Once the video is converted to a digital format, you could sell copies as you suggest, or even upload it to create a YouTube video, just as Midway did.
Posted By: Fudd Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/14/23 11:46 PM
And now I have a follow-up question for the hive mind: Is it a general rule that a boxlock side-by-side (or a sidelock, even) should not be reassembled with the hammers down? Is the risk of damaging the firing pins a given? Or does it vary design by design, maker by maker?
Not to stray from nor hijack the thread or Fudd's question either, but in regards to Jack Rowe: About 25 years ago, I had picked up a really clean Greener field-quality 12 ga. extractor that was truly in nice condition with most all blue and case color, but the wood needed a refresh. I had no idea how to pull the buttstock off with the side safety and all, so I called Mr. Rowe. He was unbelievably gracious and helpful. He walked me through it step by step, without a hitch. It was a sublime experience I will always cherish, from a brilliant gunsmith and true gentleman.
JR
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/15/23 03:11 AM
Good storie keeps them alive thanks Mark
The Roma series of sxs guns are well made for the price point. The side plates mimic a side lock better than most side plates. The tumblers and firing pins are one piece. Some boxlocks can be assembled in the fired position and some can't.
I met Jack Rowe at the first SHOT show I went to. He wasn't busy at the AyA booth so I struck up a conversation. He was very kind to someone just getting started in the double gun business. I shared I had a Bernardelli Roma 6. He smiled broadly and said "Oh a Burning Belly. Those are pretty good guns." I talked to him several times after that, and I was scheduled to take his class when it was canceled. I took Dennis Potters class instead. ( I still haven't gotten my grades) That's where I met Len Bull. He brought in a pair of Dickson round actions. They had the balance and wand like character that was unforgettable.
We do all move around in a small world don't we.
Posted By: GLS Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/15/23 11:08 AM
Wasn' t it Jack who in a midwayusa youtube video, showed how to tighten up a double's action by peening the underlug of the barrels? Ouch...Gil
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/15/23 12:36 PM
Wasn't that on my a gun that wasn't worth even peening the hook?perspective is important unless your being a turd?
Originally Posted by GLS
Wasn' t it Jack who in a midwayusa youtube video, showed how to tighten up a double's action by peening the underlug of the barrels? Ouch...Gil

I have always wondered about that video.
]
How else you gonna tighten a JABC or another clapped out tomato stake of a gun? Any other method is going to be cost prohibitive (ie making a new pin, welding up the hook and fitting, etc). If someone has one of these guns, and wants to hunt or shoot it (family heirloom, necessity, etc) I don’t see how the repair isn’t commensurate with the value of the gun. You have to be smart about it.

I’d hate for you guys to see how a gunsmith tightens up a forend. And ya’ll think there’s no place for a sledge hammer in gunmaking!😂

I doubt Jack ever meant for the “peening” repair to be done on a gun of any real monetary value.
Originally Posted by LeFusil
How else you gonna tighten a JABC or another clapped out tomato stake of a gun? Any other method is going to be cost prohibitive (ie making a new pin, welding up the hook and fitting, etc). If someone has one of these guns, and wants to hunt or shoot it (family heirloom, necessity, etc) I don’t see how the repair isn’t commensurate with the value of the gun. You have to be smart about it.

I’d hate for you guys to see how a gunsmith tightens up a forend. And ya’ll think there’s no place for a sledge hammer in gunmaking!😂

I doubt Jack ever meant for the “peening” repair to be done on a gun of any real monetary value.

Maybe so, and I do not recall the gunshot was used, but I also do not recall him saying, "reserve this method for absolute clunkers".
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/15/23 03:37 PM
Jack said it was for people who couldn't afford a proper repair because the gun wasn't worth much but wanted to use there gun.give it a rest.
Posted By: GLS Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/16/23 01:01 PM
Here's the video of Jack Rowe peening a British double that doesn't quite need a "rejoining" but barrels rattle when the gun is shaken with forend off. There is no qualifying by him or Porterfield that the method of hammering the rear hook is for inferior guns only. He further states that the method is the standard in the British Gun trade. No reason to believe otherwise. Gil

https://vimeo.com/352928443
Originally Posted by GLS
Here's the video of Jack Rowe peening a British double that doesn't quite need a "rejoining" but barrels rattle when the gun is shaken with forend off. There is no qualifying by him or Porterfield that the method of hammering the rear hook is for inferior guns only. He further states that the method is the standard in the British Gun trade. No reason to believe otherwise. Gil

Yup. That's the one I was thinking of as well. I was pretty surprised by it on a couple of accounts.
Originally Posted by GLS

The method he is using is peening the bite.Thats for up & down movement of the barrels. Not the hook or rear of the hook. That would be to bring the barrels back to the face. Totally different. The method he’s using is entirely acceptable to slightly tighten the bite. It’s exactly the way a forend is also tightened, by peening the bite.
When someone talks about peening the hook, or giving the bottom lip of the hook a couple whacks… that’s when someone uses a punch to peen the sides of the hook to move material to set the barrels back on the face. Again….not ever the preferred method to put a gun back on the face but acceptable on guns commensurate with the price of the job.
And BTW…he does mention at around the 10 min mark about doing a rejoint on a gun vs the peening method (it’s hard to understand but he does begin to talk about the cost).
]
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/16/23 01:48 PM
brentD gls did either of you talk to jack about this subject ?I think jack says something about the value of Larry's gun v making a pin
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/16/23 01:59 PM
Jimmy w how do you think Winchester tightens a forend iron do you think they go get a new one and refit it,?when things wear you either add material move material or use a new part .what do you think the cost is of refitting a new m21 forend is for parts and labor
It's hard to watch the sausage being made! I think that it is a practical repair in some circumstances. When Jack is done the work doesn't show. Some of the guns that you fellows use and enjoy may have already had this done. Think about that.
Originally Posted by mc
brentD gls did either of you talk to jack about this subject ?I think jack says something about the value of Larry's gun v making a pin

Nope. Not me. I can only judge what I see in the video. It wasn't a clapped out Belgian clunker or a tomato stake. It was an excepted and common British method of fixing a loose gun, one that rattles a bit but is still on face, according to the video.
What’s your point Brent? What is the point of a BrentD? Just bouncing your gums constantly about shit you have no clue about? Thinking your un-informed opinion matters? Always running your mouth, constantly. Why don’t you seriously just sit back, STFU and learn something useful.
What do you know about the gun being worked on in the video? Does it appear to be a higher grade gun or a pretty standard even a lower grade boxlock? What is the guns actual dollar value?? Is it’s intrinsic value worth fitting up a new locking bolt or even having the locking bolt welded up and re-fitted to tighten the bite?
I’ll take the opinion of a trained gunmaker on that all day everyday over some Internet trained, former professor , self proclaimed gun wiz kid has been that never was.
Have you ever fitted up a new locking bolt? Fitted up a welded hook or locking bolt? I certainly have. I know the time and skill involved. What’s your work experience like doing a job like this?? We’re all dying to know.
If this specific gun happened to be off the face…would it be worth the time to either make a new pin + the time to put the barrels down onto the action? A proper rejoint or tightening of the bite could cost in excess of $1k….is this gun worth that kind of effort?? You seem to know everything about the gun in question. You always seem to have some stupid snarky retort or answer. Fact of the matter is, you, as usual, have no idea what you’re talking about. Acting like you’re the smartest guy in the room has always been tiresome. You probably sit around at night wondering why so many people don’t like your dumb ass. Not hard to figure out.

Jimmy W. It’s hard to make any sense of you either. It’s pretty obvious that you don’t know a whole lot about double guns, so Instead of trying to emulate the nutty professor, why don’t you try doing the same thing and just learn instead of flapping your giblets.
one of the great things about this once fine forum is that members can say pretty much what they want...
What’s your point Brent? What is the point of a BrentD? Just bouncing your gums constantly about shit you have no clue about? Thinking your un-informed opinion matters? Always running your mouth, constantly. Why don’t you seriously just sit back, STFU and learn something useful.
What do you know about the gun being worked on in the video? Does it appear to be a higher grade gun or a pretty standard even a lower grade boxlock? What is the guns actual dollar value?? Is it’s intrinsic value worth fitting up a new locking bolt or even having the locking bolt welded up and re-fitted to tighten the bite?
I’ll take the opinion of a trained gunmaker on that all day everyday over some Internet trained, former professor , self proclaimed gun wiz kid has been that never was.
Have you ever fitted up a new locking bolt? Fitted up a welded hook or locking bolt? I certainly have. I know the time and skill involved. What’s your work experience like doing a job like this?? We’re all dying to know.
If this specific gun happened to be off the face…would it be worth the time to either make a new pin + the time to put the barrels down onto the action? A proper rejoint or tightening of the bite could cost in excess of $1k….is this gun worth that kind of effort?? You seem to know everything about the gun in question. You always seem to have some stupid snarky retort or answer. Fact of the matter is, you, as usual, have no idea what you’re talking about. Acting like you’re the smartest guy in the room has always been tiresome. You probably sit around at night wondering why so many people don’t like your dumb ass. Not hard to figure out.

Jimmy W. It’s hard to make any sense of you either. It’s pretty obvious that you don’t know a whole lot about double guns, so Instead of trying to emulate the nutty professor, why don’t you try doing the same thing and just learn instead of flapping your giblets.
]
Originally Posted by Jimmy W

I know enough to know that I don't want someone beating on my guns with a hammer and a chisel.

No you don’t. Perfect example of what I was talking about. How about you tell us how YOU would fix it Jimmy. That’s what I thought. You just joined the clown shoes brigade with Ed Good, BrentD & others. STFU.
Re-Jointing a Gun

Article by Delbert Whitman Jr in Shooting Sportsman

I know enough to know that I don't want someone beating on my guns with a hammer and a chisel.

No you don’t. Perfect example of what I was talking about. How about you tell us how YOU would fix it Jimmy. That’s what I thought. You just joined the clown shoes brigade with Ed Good, BrentD & others. STFU.
]
JimmyW, good lord you blabbering idiot, just shut up and go away.
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/16/23 06:26 PM
When you lengthen the metal on a forend with a specific tool you are filling the gap and tightening the forend .it like some times you guys have brain cells holding hands and are quite reasonable, then your braincells start clapping and you just start blabbering and attacking .go figure
Originally Posted by mc
When you lengthen the metal on a forend with a specific tool you are filling the gap and tightening the forend .it like some times you guys have brain cells holding hands and are quite reasonable, then your braincells start clapping and you just start blabbering and attacking .go figure
]
If you’re referring to me as having a bad day, you couldn’t be more wrong. Life’s good. Even suffering fools like the clown shoes gang, things couldn’t be better. Still relatively young, I can still see my feet and pecker (aka I’m not sporting a front butt), still active, still killing birds, hunting over fully trained dogs that have trouble keeping up with me.

ALL. IS. GOOD.

JimmyW, don’t be such dork and stop trying to chat about things you have no clue about.
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/16/23 08:10 PM
And that is not what I said jimmy ,unless you pull the forend wood you won't know if your forend iron has been adjusted.

Let me explain something very clearly to you, while stepping down to that level of vocabulary you choose to learn just so you don't misunderstand.

I'll flap my gums about anything I want, anytime I want. I don't really give a [censored - come on man!] what you think. When it comes to flapping and shutting the [censored - come on man!] up, you could learn something by listening to yourself.

Do you recall where I offered an opinion on the correct way to do this job? Of course not. You made it up.

Can you point out where, in this video that any of this issue about gun value relative to the method of repair is mentioned? Of course not.

It's interesting you don't go after Gil for basically pointing out exactly the same things I did.

Maybe you should spend some quality time pondering what people don't like your dumb ass either. What the [censored - come on man!] is wrong with you anyway?

Here, Fuse, flap your gums at this again. It was humorous the first time. I'm sure it will be again. Remember? Let's hear it. Come on now, let it all hang out. Again.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
BrentD, you unhinged windbag.😂😂.
BrentD, you unhinged windbag.😂😂. STFU you gum flapping moron.

Listen to yourself. If ever there was a windbag, it is you. Check your word count. And remember - I'll type whatever the [censored - come on man!] I want. You got it?
Originally Posted by BrentD, Prof

Listen to yourself. If ever there was a windbag, it is you. Check your word count. And remember - I'll type whatever the [censored - come on man!] I want. You got it?

No. I don’t got it. You got it, moron?

No. I don’t got it. You got it, moron?

You're doing a great job of making my point.
You’ve been making my point for years with your 6,370 post of hot garbage, soon to be 6,371. Keep it up! I get the feeling you’re losing your cool….like if I was there with you, you might just try and take a swing at me😂😂😂
You’ve been making my point for years with your 6,370 post of hot garbage, soon to be 6,371. Keep it up! I get the feeling you’re losing your cool….like if I was there with you, you might just try and take a swing at me😂😂😂

You bet. I'm going to post like crazy now, just to irritate the shit out of you. It's all due to you. Congratulations.

Meanwhile you could point out where I offered an opinion on the value of this repair method - but you can't because I never did. Obviously, you lost your mind.

Or you could point out at what point in that video either of them say this this should be reserved for cheap, junk guns? But you can't because they don't. So basically, you haven't got a leg to stand on other than attack me for the hell of it. Which you do a lot. And that's fine. But when it comes to being a moron, few can be more moronic than you.

So, let's see you post up some more made up garbage. Come on now you can do it. Your fuse is short and hot today....:)
BrentD, 6,371 post of hot retarded garbage! Yep. You built that😂😂
BrentD, 6,371 post of hot retarded garbage! Yep. You built that😂😂

Try harder. Please.

You the only garbage is yours. You continue and I'll just keep on posting. Go nuts. I'm happy to keep this up.
6,374=trash
6,374=trash

I sense you are fading.

Yet, you cannot respond to direct queries. Where did I say one should never use this method? Come on, quit ducking the direct question and admit that I never did say such a thing.

And where did Jack and Dennis say this was only to be used on Belgian junkers and other low quality guns? Again, you can't seem to focus and address the challenge to your assertions.

But don't you just LOVE that picture, and especially that German Gun? Get used to it, you are going to see it a lot.

Now, please back up your baseless claims or, as you like to say, Shut The [censored - come on man!] Up.
6,376=💩
6,376=💩

Can't back up your words or address a pair of simple questions. Keep it going. You've got the emojis down like a millenial. smile smile

Don't you just LOVE that Merkel?
On many Italian guns, and I imagine there are exceptions, the gun must cooked before disassembly. One reason is shown the op's pictue, and the other reason is the kickers release as soonas you remove the forearm. You can't reattach the forearm with the kickers fired. Forcing the forearm on will damage the ejector ends. Always cock the gun before disassembly.
6,378 post of pure, 100% grade A, meaningless, long winded, nonsensical, hysterical, cry babying, poop.
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/16/23 11:17 PM
I have decided those that can do do ,those who can't teach
Originally Posted by mc
I have decided those that can do do ,those who can't teach

Oh so cute and original. You get an A for unoriginal Bullshit. But that's to be expected. You can't back up your assertions either, so attack away. It's all you've got.

As a person who "can't" you coulda been a hell of a teacher, eh? wink
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/16/23 11:36 PM
Come on have a sense of humor,brentD I know the difference in a box lock Birmingham gun and a first tier London gun and how repairs are handled get a grip. I know no one said on the video just for cheap guns .but I did watch a couple of jacks videos so thanks for that.Mark
Originally Posted by mc
Come on have a sense of humor,brentD I know the difference in a box lock Birmingham gun and a first tier London gun and how repairs are handled get a grip. I know no one said on the video just for cheap guns .but I did watch a couple of jacks videos so thanks for that.Mark

Tons of humor MC. I've been laughing at The Fuse all afternoon. Some folks made some claims that turned out to be unsupportable. Yours were among them. No big deal.

Don't thank me for the clip. I didn't post it. I just watched AND listened to what they actually said.
Originally Posted by BrentD
Let me explain something very clearly to you, while stepping down to that level of vocabulary you choose to learn just so you don't misunderstand.

Be a bit more careful, professor, when you "step down" to someone else's level of vocabulary, that you don't embarrass yourself. To wit ......

It was an excepted and common British method of fixing a loose gun, one that rattles a bit but is still on face, according to the video.

The correct word to use was accepted, professor, not excepted. The two have entirely different meanings.

An old saying comes to mind here ........ something about the pot calling the kettle black.

If you're wondering how I saw this while having you on "Ignore", I chose to open it up and look when I saw the set-to between yourself and Dustin. Nice how that feature works. G'day.
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis

Be a bit more careful, professor, when you "step down" to someone else's level of vocabulary, that you don't embarrass yourself. To wit ......

It was an excepted and common British method of fixing a loose gun, one that rattles a bit but is still on face, according to the video.

The correct word to use was accepted, professor, not excepted. The two have entirely different meanings.

An old saying comes to mind here ........ something about the pot calling the kettle black.

If you're wondering how I saw this while having you on "Ignore", I chose to open it up and look when I saw the set-to between yourself and Dustin. Nice how that feature works. G'day.

Stanly!!
I love it. You been reading my posts all along. I new it. Any time now, you will be sending me more of your infamous snippy private messages, no? Your always my best proof reader.

Please continue with the grammer sessions. (you should find three or for or maybe more to work on in this message wink
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/16/23 11:57 PM
That repair is for guns that the owner isn't going to pay for a new bolt like it or not you can blow a gasket talk crap but that's the way it is .senario ,guy walks into a gun shop says my guns lose gunsmith looks and say 20 pounds for a new bolt!,, guy..I only paid 10 pounds for the entire gun ?well for 50 p I can work up the lump ..guy says work up the lump it is..see how that works brentd
Originally Posted by mc
That repair is for guns that the owner isn't going to pay for a new bolt like it or not you can blow a gasket talk crap but that's the way it is .senario ,guy walks into a gun shop says my guns lose gunsmith looks and say 20 pounds for a new bolt!,, guy..I only paid 10 pounds for the entire gun ?well for 50 p I can work up the lump ..guy says work up the lump it is..see how that works brentd

No doubt, but that's not what they said, is it, MC? Really, you got so defensive so quickly that you just made shit up. Between you and The Fuse, you could make up a whole new encyclopedia of alternative facts.
I remember my visit to the old Westley Richards factory at Bournbrook, back in ~1987 or so. I was given a factory tour by Walter. I was astonished when I stepped onto the shop floor, it was like I had entered a time portal to late victorian England. Each work area had a blacking lamp burning, and all I heard and observed were hammering and the stroke of files. I will never forget that. I understand they do make use of CNC these days, but still adhere to the old ways.
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/17/23 12:35 AM
Nope brentD I had productive conversations with jack you are clueless it was the acceptable way to tighten the bite on a certain gun type and not on others I notice they didn't say that aliens had landed either so suck it big boy
Posted By: mark Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/17/23 12:44 AM
So what is the great sin in moving a .001 or .002 inch of metal to compensate for a little ware? Much kinder to an old gun than welding or adding a piece. Gun is still original and good for many more years of service.

It’s a time proven and effective repair that’s been widely used and approved by the English trade to tighten up bolt fit.
Ummm, they build sidelocks in Birmingham, Ya know. I've seen 'em working on 'em, with just files, blacking lamps, and hammers.
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/17/23 01:06 AM
Mark it's because in the video they didn't specify what specific gun would be repaired in that fashion and because some people have no experience or training everything is made up. at the end of the video jack says something about the repair very hard to understand.
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/17/23 01:07 AM
Jimmy its about 100.000
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/17/23 01:09 AM
Droplockbob ,side lock, box lock see? This has gotten weird
Originally Posted by mc
Nope brentD I had productive conversations with jack you are clueless it was the acceptable way to tighten the bite on a certain gun type and not on others I notice they didn't say that aliens had landed either so suck it big boy

I never said jack about your convo with Jack. You might not even be lying. I don't really care. But what was said in that video was what was said. What wasn't said in that video, that you claim was, wasn't. Dang this is complicated. Maybe you should watch it again.
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/17/23 01:16 AM
Don't care I am correct and will always be correct don't care what you think about anything while I am being productive and happy you can sit around and enjoy the snakes in your head.
Originally Posted by mc
Don't care I am correct and will always be correct don't care what you think about anything while I am being productive and happy you can sit around and enjoy the snakes in your head.

ROTFLMFAO (Stanly, please correct my akronym, if necessary)!!!!

God knows we need more humor around here. That's absolutely the best post I've ever seen on this board. Congratulations!!!
Originally Posted by mc
Droplockbob ,side lock, box lock see? This has gotten weird

Yeah, all I was saying is that at least during my visit to an allegedly first class english gunmaker, all I saw were workers with files and hammers. Of course there is a lot more to the story, but that is what I observed during my time there. But, maybe I have snakes in my head. lol
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/17/23 03:22 AM
Droplock bob what does that have to do with the cost of fixing a inexpensive gun so now your a first class gunmaker because you spent a half hour on a tour ?you might have snakes in your head
Originally Posted by mc
Droplock bob what does that have to do with the cost of fixing a inexpensive gun so now your a first class gunmaker because you spent a half hour on a tour ?you might have snakes in your head

Huh? Wasn't I just reporting on what I observed? Maybe you should re-read my post. I was simply telling the story of my visit to the Westley Richards factory. And BTW, I spent several hours there, getting measured, shooting the try gun out back. I even got to shoot a .470 NE double rifle, in the middle of Birmingham! (in the rear of the factory). The video that was linked showed an english gunsmith hammering and filing a sxs action, to tighten it up. I was trying to relate that to what I saw in an english gun factory?????

I was just imagining snakes in one's head. I thought it was funny.
Originally Posted by DropLockBob
Originally Posted by mc

Huh? Wasn't I just reporting on what I observed? Maybe you should re-read my post. I was simply telling the story of my visit to the Westley Richards factory. And BTW, I spent several hours there, getting measured, shooting the try gun out back. I even got to shoot a .470 NE double rifle, in the middle of Birmingham! (in the rear of the factory). The video that was linked showed an english gunsmith hammering and filing a sxs action, to tighten it up. I was trying to relate that to what I saw in an english gun factory?????

DroplockBob,
You know, you have to get permission from MC and The Fuse to post stuff here. They are the British gun gods and they don't like anything that might be construed to upset their apple cart.
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/17/23 04:04 AM
I love fishing worm hook boom gotum
Well, I'm certainly not attempting to jostle anyone's apple cart. My Father loved shooting in england, and english shotguns and double rifles. The same bug bit me. I would never hold myself out to be any kind of expert on the subject, just a journeyman on a learning adventure. I was just sharing a story I was lucky enough to experience, that's all.
Originally Posted by mc
I love fishing worm hook boom gotum

Bait fisherman, eh?
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/17/23 05:01 AM
No I like to fish nothing but suckers tonite
Originally Posted by mc
No I like to fish nothing but suckers tonite

The Brits call that "coarse fishing".
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/17/23 05:48 AM
Yes it's been pretty coarse around this place today
Originally Posted by mark
So what is the great sin in moving a .001 or .002 inch of metal to compensate for a little ware? Much kinder to an old gun than welding or adding a piece. Gun is still original and good for many more years of service.

It’s a time proven and effective repair that’s been widely used and approved by the English trade to tighten up bolt fit.

Thank you so much for being gracious enough to explain that you CAN in fact "weld or add a piece" in the forearm rather than beat on it with a hammer and a chisel. I knew all along that I knew what I was talking about. And that is definitely the route that I would have taken. Regardless of the cost and the amount I paid for the gun. That is just the way I am. My theory is- if you can't afford to do something properly, you're in the wrong business. And regardless of whether or not that I could actually see the "repair", I would still know that my gun was beat to a pulp and that would have bothered me. So, thanks again for your reply. It is appreciated.
That’s what you got out of Marks post? You might have a reading comprehension problem. I believe what Mark was saying is that welding up or adding a piece of metal to something that needs .001-.002 when you can move the metal using tools is unnecessary and potentially more intrusive and detrimental to the part than the peening. Not to mention the time it’s going to take to fit the parts back up.
So again, you don’t know what you’re talking about. You do realize that some of the guys that have commented on here are actually working professional gunsmiths, pretty highly regarded in the business right? Have years of actual training, experience and real hands on know how? Taking the time out of their day to explain what is a universally accepted method is…..And then there’s you.
Posted By: mark Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/17/23 03:12 PM
Theirs often many different ways to repair or restore something. As long as the results are good that’s what matters.

If you don’t like a method don’t do it or don’t hire it done that way.

What’s going on over the last several pages is what has driven away a lot of very knowledgeable folks.
That’s what you got out of Marks post? You might have a reading comprehension problem. I believe what Mark was saying is that welding up or adding a piece of metal to something that needs .001-.002 when you can move the metal using tools is unnecessary and potentially more intrusive and detrimental to the part than the peening. Not to mention the time it’s going to take to fit the parts back up.
So again, you don’t know what you’re talking about. You do realize that some of the guys that have commented on here are actually working professional gunsmiths, pretty highly regarded in the business right? Have years of actual training, experience and real hands on know how? Taking the time out of their day to explain what is a universally accepted method is…..And then there’s you.

Okay Repunsil, I think it is time to stop listening to your insignificant drivel. You have been proven wrong. You won't bully and name call me from posting. It is obvious now that most people ignore your unknowledgeable blather. I will happily join them. I have friends who are gunsmiths and they told me they would never beat on a Model 21 the way Larry Potterfield did. So please, as you said earlier, enjoy your day by going out and hunting over trained dogs, while you "look down at your pecker". 😂😂😂 And have a nice day, Repunsil.
Originally Posted by mark
Theirs often many different ways to repair or restore something. As long as the results are good that’s what matters.

If you don’t like a method don’t do it or don’t hire it done that way.

What’s going on over the last several pages is what has driven away a lot of very knowledgeable folks.

You are right. Screaming vulgar, language is wrong. If I make an error I have always acknowledged it. I didn't try to lie and bully my way out of it.
[quote=LeFusil]That’s what you got out of Marks post? You might have a reading comprehension problem. I believe what Mark was saying is that welding up or adding a piece of metal to something that needs .001-.002 when you can move the metal using tools is unnecessary and potentially more intrusive and detrimental to the part than the peening. Not to mention the time it’s going to take to fit the parts back up.

Okay Repunsil, I think it is time to stop listening to your insignificant drivel. You have been proven wrong. You won't bully and name call me from posting. It is obvious now that most people ignore your unknowledgeable blather. I will happily join them. So please, as you said earlier, enjoy your day by going out and hunting over trained dogs, while you "look down at your pecker". 😂😂😂 And have a nice day, Repunsil.[/quote

Time to stop listening? JimmyW, you never listened to begin with. Talking about insignificant drivel, did you just read your last post!??😂😂. WTF was all that jibberish!! You wish you could hunt over my dogs and you wish you could still see your pecker too. Hell, you can barely get through a round of trap let alone go out and actually do any type of hunting I do you clapped out old prick.
I don’t bully anybody. I call it like I see it and don’t suffer fools. That’s not bullying.

Same to you, have a nice day.
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/17/23 04:18 PM
This goes with,,this isn't cogswell and Harrison ,,now do it right!
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/17/23 05:13 PM
Before anyone gets angry I'm being funny in the above post
Posted By: mark Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/17/23 05:34 PM
Mark, I can’t pick up a Cogy with out hearing Lens voice!
Originally Posted by mc
Before anyone gets angry I'm being funny in the above post

laugh
[quote=LeFusil]That’s what you got out of Marks post? You might have a reading comprehension problem. I believe what Mark was saying is that welding up or adding a piece of metal to something that needs .001-.002 when you can move the metal using tools is unnecessary and potentially more intrusive and detrimental to the part than the peening. Not to mention the time it’s going to take to fit the parts back up.

Okay Repunsil, I think it is time to stop listening to your insignificant drivel. You have been proven wrong. You won't bully and name call me from posting. It is obvious now that most people ignore your unknowledgeable blather. I will happily join them. So please, as you said earlier, enjoy your day by going out and hunting over trained dogs, while you "look down at your pecker". 😂😂😂 And have a nice day, Repunsil.[/quote

Time to stop listening? JimmyW, you never listened to begin with. Talking about insignificant drivel, did you just read your last post!??😂😂. WTF was all that jibberish!! You wish you could hunt over my dogs and you wish you could still see your pecker too. Hell, you can barely get through a round of trap let alone go out and actually do any type of hunting I do you clapped out old prick.
I don’t bully anybody. I call it like I see it and don’t suffer fools. That’s not bullying.

Same to you, have a nice day.

Blah! Blah! Blah!! Blather! Blather!!
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/17/23 05:42 PM
I did see a coggy that was really nice great engraving and finish
Mark you forgot the adjective used before Cogswell and Harrison :-) .
Posted By: mark Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/18/23 01:59 AM
The way I remember it is “this isn’t Cogswell and F&cking Harisson “
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/18/23 03:40 AM
Me too but with so much friction I was being kind to the sensitive types
Not to open old wounds, but when I originally posted the video of Larry Potterfield beating on the Model 21, of the people who saw it- one person on here who I always considered to be knowledgeable stated that you could "weld it, solder in a shim or do it this way." "Or leave it lose." Others agreed with my feelings. I first said that I
would try to JB Weld in a shim, if I remember correctly. Nuff said. And my feelings were never hurt. Although, I am now a bit ashamed that I created an obscene thread and I apologize to everyone about that. Thank you.
Perhaps you all could have a vote (for humor's sake) for who is the champion bull moose snapperhead of the forum. Seems many of us have serpents slithering about in the cerebrum.
I venture I'm in the running right now, just for posting this.....
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/18/23 03:06 PM
Or you can let it go
Originally Posted by mc
Or you can let it go

Heck no. No one else can let it go, why should he? Let's make this the quintessential doublegun thread of all time.
A vid clip for those of us with the with the serpents-in-cerebrum problem

Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/18/23 03:34 PM
Okidoki I have work to do so have a great day
Originally Posted by mc
Okidoki I have work to do so have a great day

Good luck with it, and keep that hammer swinging. smile
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/18/23 03:58 PM
At least I can identify a hammer .you and side show bob have a great day
Originally Posted by mc

Oh, I know what they are. I'm going to start beating on guns with them and call myself a gunsmith> smile
Posted By: mc Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/18/23 04:22 PM
It's sad when you think your the smartest person in the room then discover your knowledge is lacking on a subject ,you project your discomfort with your lack of knowledge by insulting other who do have the training and knowledge you don't.
Originally Posted by mc
It's sad when you think your the smartest person in the room then discover your knowledge is lacking on a subject ,you project your discomfort with your lack of knowledge by insulting other who do have the training and knowledge you don't.

I suppose that's true. That seems to happen to you often here. Your quickness to swing insults (like The Fuse) are a tell-tale sign of your discomfort.
Posted By: keith Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/18/23 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by mc

Oh, I know what they are. I'm going to start beating on guns with them and call myself a gunsmith> smile

It should not have to be spelled out in minute detail that there is more than one way to put a gun back on the face or to tighten up loose bolting or a loose frond. Various methods have been discussed right here on this Forum for years, including laser welding, TIG welding, machining new hinge pins, soldering or gluing in thin steel shims... or even using shims made from aluminum pop cans. One of those many methods, and one that has been used for over a hundred years by factory trained gunsmiths and gun assemblers is the judicious use of hammers to peen, upset, or otherwise displace metal.

It should by now be obvious to all but the most thick-headed and brainless morons that a good gunsmith will choose a method that is appropriate to the gun he is working on. The method he chooses should consider the amount of wear or looseness to be taken up, along with the intrinsic value of the gun. To spell it out for fools like the Nutty Professor & Co., it just wouldn't be smart or economically sensible to do the same costly hinge pin replacement and hook TIG welding on a cheap Crescent or Worthington as one might on a Holland, Purdey, or high grade Fox.

I have a pretty good collection of Gunsmithing books, and just about every one has a chapter on the tools required to get started in the trade or hobby. Just about all of them talk about the various types of hammers that are essential to some gun repair jobs. Then they go on to discuss correctly using those hammers.

I don't see here or in the attached video where anyone was advocating any blacksmith type sledge hammer forging work. I don't see anyone suggesting indiscriminately beating on guns like apes with hammers. I don't see where anyone was suggesting that the peening method of tightening up a loose gun was the only way to do it, or the way it should be done on a rare or valuable gun. Unfortunately, the video doesn't spell out the obvious in detail that even a complete idiot would comprehend.

What I do see once again is the spoiled man-child, the Nutty Professor, once again pretending to be an expert, and hoping to keep his childish rant going on forever, even as mc attempts to quit:

Originally Posted by mc
Or you can let it go

Heck no. No one else can let it go, why should he? Let's make this the quintessential doublegun thread of all time.

Funny thing is, here he wants to be as relentless as a Pit Bulldog... but he ran away like a little girl from Ted's questions about how he blew up a nice low number 1903 Springfield (Rock Island manufacture), and cannot admit that it was his fault due to a careless reloading error. I wonder how Brad Eden would react if he acted this way over on the Upland Journal forum, which he says is so much better than DoubleGunShop??? What this place needs is more Moderation.
Originally Posted by mc

side show bob. Good one. I like the cut of your serpents. Lol
Posted By: mark Re: Cant close action: Firing pins in the way - 12/18/23 07:06 PM
Where do you guys find the time and energy for this?
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com