doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: I. Flues USPS to Gunsmith? - 07/30/07 10:53 PM
Hello,

I know this has been covered before, but.....

1.) Is there anything I should be aware of before I waltz (or maybe I should just walk.... ) into the post office w/ my unloaded firearm to send to a gunsmith?
2.) Where are the post office regulations on-line so I can beat the postmasters over the head with their own regulations should there be a problem?
3.) Where can suitable packing material be obtained? I've heard of some people using cheap plastic cases. Is this the best way?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Doerner
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 07/30/07 11:21 PM
Well, I'd put it in a box first~!

I mail long guns all the time (NO AMMUNITION)

If the clerk doesn't like it, ask for the postmaster. Very easy to do.

plastic cases work, cardboard, peanuts, plastic wrap. Lots of stuff works. A packed box, packed inside another box with peanuts in between is one of my favorites.

Ask for a confirmation of delivery and issure it, of course.

Brent
Posted By: Chris Baumohl Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 07/30/07 11:27 PM
Registered mail is the way to go. Has to be signed for by everyone that touches it. Do not use clear tape on the box. you have to use that brown paper tape so they can stamp all over it.

At least that was my last experience. No problems with the clerk. He knew the drill.

CB
Posted By: APS Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 07/31/07 12:11 AM
I only ship on Moday or Tuesday so there is little chance of it sitting over a weekend.

al
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 07/31/07 01:25 AM
I used to brown tape the entire box but found out recently that I only need to brown tape all the seams. Apparently it makes it easier to see if the box has been tampered with. Insurance is cheaper by registered also.

I also believe that you are supposed to notify them in writing that it is an unloaded firearm. They looked at it the first time, the second time they just threw it away. Now I just write it on any scrap of paper, "I am shipping an unloaded long gun."

Rob
Posted By: eightbore Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 07/31/07 01:31 PM
Forget the foam peanuts. Your gunsmith may treat you more fairly if you use bubble wrap or newspaper.
Posted By: Marc Stokeld Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 07/31/07 01:58 PM
Amen to that! Foam peanuts reaaly bite. Bubble wrap is easier for the recieving party, plus I think it works better anyway
Posted By: I. Flues Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 07/31/07 09:40 PM
That'll work guys. Anyplace that sells a long box? Uhaul?

Mike Doerner
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 07/31/07 09:44 PM
Originally Posted By: I. Flues
That'll work guys. Anyplace that sells a long box? Uhaul?

Mike Doerner

Make one -- find some heavy cardboard from an appliance dealer (e.g., Sears, Best Buy) and make a smallish box and then put that box inside a bigger box.

Pack the gun with the barrels off.

Brent
Posted By: shinbone Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/21/07 01:05 PM
I just noticed this morning that MidwayUSA sells cardboard boxes lined with "egg crate" foam for about $14.00 a pop expressly for shipping long guns. I would describe them as a cardboard version of a doskocil-type gun case. They look to be very convient to use, and are probably easily re-used too. I bought a half-dozen, myself.

--shinbone
Posted By: Chuck H Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/21/07 01:41 PM
When shipping a long gun in a cardboard box for sale, I go to my friend's mfg shop's shipping dept and I wrap in many layers of a commercial foam sheet wrapping mat'l, up to a couple inches or more thick. Then make a box the correct size from a larger box by cutting it down. I then take sheet cardboard and line all sides inside the box with at least 2 or 3 addition layers to protect from sharp penetration. Then I put the foam wrapped gun in and pack all around with additional foam wrap until it's tightly fitted. Sounds like overkill? Well maybe. But I don't think it is.

Most people don't know this, but all cardboard box mat'l is not anywhere near the same strength. Look at the boxes for Chinese products and then compare to a 220 psf rated new box made in the US. Big difference.

If I'm shipping to a stockmaker or gunsmith and expect the gun back, I put it in a inexpensive hard guncase first then pack it up in a cutdown box fitted with multi layers of sheet cardboard for protection.

Although I know a lot of dealers and others do it and get away with it most of the time, I would never ship in a single layer cardboard box, never.
Posted By: Chicago Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/21/07 05:08 PM
Shinbone........Welcome aboard......Chicago Mike
Posted By: Hussey Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/21/07 06:50 PM
Spend the money and buy a mod-priced take down gun case; wrap the pieces separatly and pack in the case. Then take the gun case to a UPS Store or other packing store and have a heavy box made for the case. I have done it this way for the past 8-9 years and that case has more more mileage that I have frequent flyer miles.
Posted By: APS Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/21/07 07:25 PM
I just has a stock returned from Umberger- they forgot to wrap in newspaper or tissue papaer and the stock imprinted the finish of the foam packing.

I always wrap in newspaper and with hammer guns i add a piece of packing around the hammers then bubble wrap.

I have had no damage in over 100 shipments. Over do it- it is worth it.

al
Posted By: Montana Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/21/07 07:48 PM
What they said. It cannot hurt to overdo the wrapping. I too use newspaper in the case, case wrapped in foam or equivalent (but NOT PEANUTS) and a good corrugated box. Works well no matter which shipper. Here in SE Michigan, UPS works best. USPS is second because it is slightly less convenient for me. I understand this varies all over the country but UPS has worked for me in Montana, Maryland, New York and Michigan. I ship overnight or registered and never let the gun sit somewhere over a nonbusiness day.
Posted By: James M Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/21/07 08:22 PM
The last double I shipped was in a hard takedown case. I don't know what some have against peanuts but I filled all open spaces around the gun with them. I then constructed a heavy cardboard box myself to enclose the case. I shipped it USPS Priority with $201* insurance and signature required.
*All of my collectible firearms are insured with CIA so I just needed the minimum postal insurance for tracking and signature to meet their shipping requirements.
jim
Posted By: builder Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/22/07 02:21 AM
The gun can travel within the box using peanuts. Sometimes the box is thrown around a lot or bumped a lot in transit. I have had a trigger guard banging against the wood stock. It is wise to first wrap the gun in common newspaper.
Posted By: builder Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/22/07 02:22 AM
A $20 plastic gun case is perfect for shipping but it is way too long. Does anyone make a takedown inexpensive case that we can use for shipping?
Posted By: Jolly Bill Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/22/07 02:50 AM
Italiansxs;

You said: "I shipped it USPS Priority with $201* insurance and signature required.
*All of my collectible firearms are insured with CIA so I just needed the minimum postal insurance for tracking and signature to meet their shipping requirements."

Specifically; "$201* insurance" and what is "CIA"?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Thanks for more info.

Jolly
Posted By: Brian Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/22/07 03:22 AM
SHIP USPS Priority if you dont need much Ins. Registered is cheap when it comes to high dollar items but does take longer. There is a price point for registered versus Priority. i dont have it in form of me. go to the USPS website.
ship take down guns broken down. Even if you use a full size case. You must have it signed for, new ATF rewuirement so 210.00 ins. means signature so that covers you.

I ship USPS only and have had great results.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/22/07 05:16 PM
I have shipped several guns in old leg of mutton cases. Acid free paper wrap over the entire gun, bubble wrapping, small bubble size, the stock, barrel and for-end makes a real tight fit in the case. Then I wrap the case in foam wrap, put in a double thickness cardboard box and fill any areas of space with either foam peanuts or the air filled packing bags which are getting very popular. This makes a snug, well protected package which has traveled well.

Long guns, rifles, are shipped in a plastic case with four or five layers of protection. Never a claim and hope to never have one. Have had several receivers make remarks about over kill but I ask each of them to return it just like I shipped it. Easy for them to do as all the material is right there and they just have to reassemble when done to ship. A few have made positive remarks about the level of packing and have told me stories about what junk packing others use with very bad results. I would rather pay five dollars more in postage than have to file a claim.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/22/07 05:35 PM
Jon,
Good point about the acid free paper. Newsprint has tons of acid. I wouldn't want to have a gun in newprint for very long. There are rust preventative treated kraft papers available for those that ship a lot. I like a cheap bath towel or other cotton cloth and some sort of oil on the metal.

Builder,
There are some $39 takedown cases on ebay but the $20 case is a memory of yesteryear.
Posted By: Montana Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/22/07 07:01 PM
What about just the paper newspapers are printed on? How acidic without ink?
Posted By: Jakearoo Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/23/07 04:29 PM
Originally Posted By: Chuck H

Builder,
There are some $39 takedown cases on ebay but the $20 case is a memory of yesteryear.

This looks like it would fill the bill. (Sorry, don't seem to be able to post the link directly.) Jake

Ebay Item # 230172807436

Posted By: jjk308 Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/23/07 08:05 PM
CIA doesn't insure all shipping methods. Check their website http://www.collectinsure.com/

I usually use FedEx for convenience. - have an online account and print my own labels, saves some money and time. I honestly haven't seen any real difference in service between fedEx, UPS and USPS.

Shipping cheaper long guns I put a wad of newspaper in the bottom of the box, wrap some scrap box cardboard a couple feet square around the vulnerable wrist area of the stock, then stick the stock in the box butt first so its butt is bedded in the newspaper. Then I pack more newspaper around the muzzle end, topping it with an empty tuna can so it doesn't poke through. Wrap with shipping tape a few places in the middle and cover both ends. 150 rifles, zero losses.

Expensive shotguns - I use a cheap plastic gun case - buy a few when they're on sale, wrap a few places with shipping tape. Only mod is that I think its a good idea to roll some tight cardboard cylinders, stick them in the box around the gun to keep the top and bottom parts of the cases from collapsing together when they're closed, just in case somebody steps on it.
Posted By: builder Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/24/07 02:20 AM
Thanks, I bought that one off ebay.

jjk308-do you put case in cardboard box?
Posted By: MnFn Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/24/07 03:09 AM
Google USPS.gov, select the Offcical web site for the US Postal Service, select "All products and Services, select DMM, (Index)firearms, it will be under DMM 601.11.1, you will find everything you need to know there. I am a retired postmaster. If I send a firearm, it will only be sent registered. It is slower because each person handling it has to sign for it. It is the most secure method. The Hope diamond was sent via registered mail. All seams have to be sealed with water soluable tape, so the clerk can stamp the tape with thier red postmark stamp,( so they can prove the package has not been tampered with).

The Post Office should have the form you should be required to sign regarding the acknowledgement that gun is unloaded. It is the PS 1508. I think you can print one from the forms section of the web site.

If it is damaged you will have to prove value. But I think the USPS is just as fair as anyone out there. Sentimental value will not be considered.
Posted By: Chuck H Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/24/07 03:11 AM
Builder,
I put the case in a box with several layers of cardboard around them. My thinking on shipping guns in cases is starting to change a bit. I'm thinking if it's my gun that's going out and back, why wouldn't I use a really good case? I think the next gun I send for work will go in a pretty good case like a SKB or something.
Posted By: AMtrico Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/25/07 01:55 AM
I went go the local Gander Mtn & asked for the cardboard boxes they had recieved guns in & were throwing away. They saved a few for me & I put one inside the other w/ packing material. I was shipping two different sxs to two different locations - one went to the gunsmith the other had to go all the way back to Spain. Both came back to me in good condition in the boxes I sent.
Posted By: James M Re: USPS to Gunsmith? - 09/25/07 11:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Jolly Bill
Italiansxs;

You said: "I shipped it USPS Priority with $201* insurance and signature required.
*All of my collectible firearms are insured with CIA so I just needed the minimum postal insurance for tracking and signature to meet their shipping requirements."

Specifically; "$201* insurance" and what is "CIA"?

I'm not sure what you mean.

Thanks for more info.

Jolly

http://www.collectinsure.com/
Here is a link to CIA which specializes in insuring collectibles including firearms.
The $201 amount I mentioned in my post in the minimum USPS insurance required by them to get tracking and a signature at the receiving end. Both tracking and a signature are shipping requirements under your CIA policy. The rest of the value is covered by your CIA policy. Hope this helps.
Jim
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com