doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Edm1 Adding LOP - 09/10/23 12:33 AM
I’m 6’3”. Today I had my all original 20g nitro special out and realized it was really short. I need to add maybe an inch or inch and a half. I want to keep it as original as possible...no doing anything that can’t be undone. What is my best option? Thanks,
Posted By: mc Re: Adding LOP - 09/10/23 02:02 AM
Pad
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Adding LOP - 09/10/23 02:10 AM
If you actually need an inch and a half I'd add a pad and a leather lace-on. The pad could add an inch, then the lace-on another 1/2". There is always the wooden butt extension, but if you're not going to let someone like Mark Larson do it, I wouldn't recommend it. Too ugly, otherwise.

Realistically, it's a Nitro Special. Move it and find anther 20 ga. with more suitable dim's.
Posted By: coosa Re: Adding LOP - 09/10/23 04:20 AM
I had a similar problem with my Beretta due to a previous owner cutting some length off the stock. I actually needed about 2", so I used a couple of these:

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/Black-Buttstock-Spacer-Flat-1_2/productinfo/1513112/

I think I used 2 of the 1/2" spacers and a grind to fit recoil pad that adds an additional inch. The spacers are glued together and then the recoil pad was glued to them and the whole thing ground to fit the stock. It attaches to the stock with 2 woodscrews, so I can restore the original pad at any time, though I will never do that as long as I am able to use the gun.

The spacers look like part of the recoil pad, though I wouldn't say that a 2" recoil pad looks exactly right. It works, and I don't think the doves know any difference.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Adding LOP - 09/10/23 05:13 AM
You might want to check out Connecticut Shotgun (Galazan's). They have the (original copies) Ithaca Sunburst pads that are 1" thick for $30.00. And you can always add a 1/4" plate underneath it.
Posted By: Edm1 Re: Adding LOP - 09/10/23 12:46 PM
Thank y’all very much. It isn’t the most expensive shotgun, I know, but with my budget, it is a pretty nice piece. And this is a 1928 in GREAT shape. I’d like to be able to use it well.
Posted By: oskar Re: Adding LOP - 09/11/23 05:53 PM
Adding big pads and spacers leave me cold but then I'm one of the guys that has to shorten them. I much prefer a NICE leather slip/lace on extension.
Posted By: gil russell Re: Adding LOP - 09/11/23 06:22 PM
There are good quality 1 1/2" pads out there. CSMC has one--Winchester red. There are probably more. I did a leather covered 1 1/2" pad just because it's a Winchester 21 that was too short for me. This one was special because if belonged to my grandfather, has a really good piece of wood and I wanted to keep it as original as possible. I may restock it some day but I doubt it. gil
Posted By: canvasback Re: Adding LOP - 09/11/23 07:33 PM
If you are concerned about originality but need to lengthen the LOP and are planning to add a pad, make sure the butt stock is not cut flat to make adding the pad easier. Keep the original curve of the wood and shape the pad to fit.
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: Adding LOP - 09/11/23 07:52 PM
CSMC is the only one offering 1 1/2 pads. I have at this time about a dozen old SxSs and in the past always installed a thick pad but have changed my habits. I now just use leather wrap on pads. They use velco . I cut pieces of leather for spacers when needed.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Adding LOP - 09/11/23 10:45 PM
Kick-Eez has a "Magnum" sized pad that works very well in attenuating recoil (not that you need it with a 20 ga.) that is 1 3/8" thick.
Posted By: Ken Georgi Re: Adding LOP - 09/12/23 01:22 AM
Once a pad's length gets beyond an inch, the aesthetics of the gun go south quickly. If it was my gun, and I needed to add 1.5" to the LOP, I would add a 1" pad and then slip on a temporary leather pad to get the other 0.5". Cheap slips-on pads be had for $30 and nicer leather pads are less than $100.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Adding LOP - 09/12/23 02:08 AM
Originally Posted by Ken Georgi
Once a pad's length gets beyond an inch, the aesthetics of the gun go south quickly. If it was my gun, and I needed to add 1.5" to the LOP, I would add a 1" pad and then slip on a temporary leather pad to get the other 0.5". Cheap slips-on pads be had for $30 and nicer leather pads are less than $100.

I concur with Ken, be wary of the extra 1/4 in thickness and aesthetic effect. Be sure you really need that 1/4 inch, with hunting coats etc some guns end up too long too fast. That said also more important than the look, is the effect on balance. Thick heavy rubber pads can really change a guns performance, which is why I am a big fan of the lighter cervallati microcell pads, half the weight or so of the same thickness Silver or Kickeze pad. They will move that center of balance less than otherwise, and not raise overall weight as much.
Posted By: old colonel Re: Adding LOP - 09/12/23 02:17 AM
An additional thought, once you know for sure what dimensions work well for you for a particular gun, after a season with a pad, get it restocked in wood without the thick pad. Thick if you hunt for the correct dimensions a step in the journey to getting a gun that i# just right for you.
Posted By: JBLondon Re: Adding LOP - 09/12/23 10:44 AM
I recently replaced the hard plastic butt plate on a BSS 12 ga to get more LOP and a little cushion for factory loads. The extra length moved my cheek weld to a thicker part of the stock and now I can't hit anything with it. The gun points to the left severely when mounted. Now going to have to thin down the butt with a rasp and then refinish the stock. Yes, I could have it bent but don't think I will.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Adding LOP - 09/12/23 12:17 PM
This is a 16 gauge L.C. Smith Specialty Grade that someone cut the stock to 12 1/2" and then added the recoil pad, still too short for me. I added the wooden extension only using two 2" dry wall screws, no glue. The LOP is now 14 1/8" over the butt plate. I know this is not for everyone, but using black spacers to make up the difference is not for me.
The next owner can do what they want but replacing that stock with a similar piece of walnut would be in the thousands and selling it you would never make up the cost.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Adding LOP - 09/12/23 12:44 PM
1" pad with a lace on, or Galco with Velcro is much nicer looking than a 1-1/2" pad.
When I see a 1-1/2" pad or 1" with spacers, I move past them quickly as they almost hurt my eyes.
The Galco with velcro looks cleaner to me than a lace on. YMMV.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Adding LOP - 09/12/23 07:01 PM
Originally Posted by JBLondon
I recently replaced the hard plastic butt plate on a BSS 12 ga to get more LOP and a little cushion for factory loads. The extra length moved my cheek weld to a thicker part of the stock and now I can't hit anything with it. The gun points to the left severely when mounted. Now going to have to thin down the butt with a rasp and then refinish the stock. Yes, I could have it bent but don't think I will.
You should be able to check around and get another stock for that gun. Or couldn't you just go back to the original butt plate?
Posted By: JBLondon Re: Adding LOP - 09/13/23 11:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
Originally Posted by JBLondon
You should be able to check around and get another stock for that gun. Or couldn't you just go back to the original butt plate?

Well, a replacement stock would put me back where I was - with a gun that's too short and for some reason beats up my shoulder when I shoot it with 1oz target loads. This one is a 12 gauge 'magnum' with 30" barrels and handles like a (heavy) oar. Strictly a boat gun. I want to use it for waterfowl loads that are much hotter so feeling like I need the decelerator type pad. This gun has been bothering me for a refinish anyway since a previous owner had stripped the gloss finish and then did a poor finish of perhaps a walnut penetrating oil. So I haven't liked it and taking a rasp to get a better fit doesn't bother me with this one. Much of my shooting is with 19th century guns and this one is for modern ammo and when conditions perhaps are not going to be ideal.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Adding LOP - 09/13/23 11:41 PM
I agree that if 1 oz. loads are "beating you up", then something's bad wrong. I normally shoot 1 oz. loads in a 20 ga. AH Fox with no issues.
Posted By: JBLondon Re: Adding LOP - 09/14/23 12:04 AM
Stan, I have a lot of guns without a pad that I shoot without issue. To some extent though I am feeling recoil more than I did in the past. Perhaps related to losing a bit of weight? Certainly my guns fit me differently now than they did 35 lb.'s ago.
Hey, it's that special time of year! Best wishes to everyone for the 2023 fall season.
Posted By: Edm1 Re: Adding LOP - 09/14/23 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by David Williamson
This is a 16 gauge L.C. Smith Specialty Grade that someone cut the stock to 12 1/2" and then added the recoil pad, still too short for me. I added the wooden extension only using two 2" dry wall screws, no glue. The LOP is now 14 1/8" over the butt plate. I know this is not for everyone, but using black spacers to make up the difference is not for me.
The next owner can do what they want but replacing that stock with a similar piece of walnut would be in the thousands and selling it you would never make up the cost.

Did you do that yourself? That’s impressive. Yes you can tell, but it matches well and the seam is very well done.
Posted By: David Williamson Re: Adding LOP - 09/14/23 12:26 PM
Edm1 thank you, yes I did the wooden extension mixed up some stain to get the right color and then faux grained it with a marker. What a shame that someone cut this magnificent piece of walnut, someone who did not appreciate wood.
Posted By: playing hooky Re: Adding LOP - 09/14/23 01:39 PM
Beartooth slip-on pad kit

This increases LOP variably by about 1/8 to 3/4 inches. Very stable and soft, and uses different thickness inserts for adjustment of LOP. Not real elegant but cheap, and adjustment or removal are trivially easy. Also useful to experiment with LOP and the attendant changes in drop and cast, in preparation for installation of a more durable pad or wood extension. And a good way to vary LOP depending on weather (ie you can easily reduce LOP a little to accommodate a thick coat).
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com