doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: spring A small LOP adjustment - 09/09/23 11:45 PM
I’m looking at a new gun that has a slightly longer LOP than I’d like… it’s 15” and I need 14 3/4”. The needed adjustment is small, but I’m thinking that just a thinner pad will do it as I’d prefer not to cut the stock.
Take a look at this pad. Think there’s a thinner pad that would work? Who would you recommend to handle this?

[Linked Image from iili.io]
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: A small LOP adjustment - 09/10/23 12:02 AM
Probably just a nice horn butt plate, usually.25” thick. Not much of a pad there. I think Larry at Dutchman woodworks makes a nice one.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: A small LOP adjustment - 09/10/23 12:17 AM
Microcell pads come as thin as 11mm. That would probably be just about perfect.

I would do it myself.
Posted By: spring Re: A small LOP adjustment - 09/10/23 12:50 AM
Think the pad would be too thin for a leather covered pad? I had Paul Hodgins do one for me a couple of years ago.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: A small LOP adjustment - 09/10/23 12:51 AM
Originally Posted by spring
Think the pad would be too thin for a leather covered pad?

Which pad? The one I posted? No.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: A small LOP adjustment - 09/10/23 12:51 AM
Have SKB do it. You won't be disappointed.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: A small LOP adjustment - 09/10/23 04:52 AM
What kind/brand of gun is it? How thick is that pad that is on there? Do you have to replace it with a pad? Would a buttplate suffice? I don't believe I would mess up a pad that nice over 1/4 of an inch. I would ADAPT. smile Good luck.
Posted By: spring Re: A small LOP adjustment - 09/10/23 01:33 PM
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
What kind/brand of gun is it? How thick is that pad that is on there? Do you have to replace it with a pad? Would a buttplate suffice? I don't believe I would mess up a pad that nice over 1/4 of an inch. I would ADAPT. smile Good luck.

Jimmy,
I haven’t held the gun yet; leaving it as is would be nice but getting the gun fit right for me certainly has appeal. I don’t know the exact size of the current pad but it does appear that a thinner pad could be an option without cutting the wood. The current pad, I think, was put on by H&H.
Leather pads are nice and ideally I’d like to stay with that.
Thanks, Jimmy.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: A small LOP adjustment - 09/10/23 01:45 PM
If you are careful, you could probably pull that pad off- Take needle nosed pliers down in and pull the plugs out to get to the screws. ( I take a belt sander) Then just grind a little off of the gun. After doing that, it still would be a good length if you ever decided to sell it. Then you could put that pad back on. Or you could just get a thinner pad. If it was put on by H&H, you could also put one of their pads or butt plate on it and still have it original. (I like original) You have a lot of options. It looks like a nice gun. Good luck.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: A small LOP adjustment - 09/10/23 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
If you are careful, you could probably pull that pad off- Take needle nosed pliers down in and pull the plugs out to get to the screws. ( I take a belt sander) Then just grind a little off of the gun. After doing that, it still would be a good length if you ever decided to sell it. Then you could put that pad back on. Or you could just get a thinner pad. If it was put on by H&H, you could also put one of their pads or butt plate on it and still have it original. (I like original) You have a lot of options. It looks like a nice gun. Good luck.

Looks like nice wood, anyway.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: muchatrucha Re: A small LOP adjustment - 09/10/23 03:11 PM
I seriously doubt that a 1/4” difference in LoP would affect your shooting performance.
Leave it as is until you pattern it. Then remove the pad and pattern it again. See how much difference the pad length really makes. DaC will have a much more dramatic effect. If after patterning the gun you have determined that the LoP really makes that big of a difference, then go with a nice horn plate or similar. Save the current pad. Do NOT shorten the stock!
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: A small LOP adjustment - 09/10/23 04:24 PM
Originally Posted by muchatrucha
I seriously doubt that a 1/4” difference in LoP would affect your shooting performance.
Leave it as is until you pattern it. Then remove the pad and pattern it again. See how much difference the pad length really makes. DaC will have a much more dramatic effect. If after patterning the gun you have determined that the LoP really makes that big of a difference, then go with a nice horn plate or similar. Save the current pad. Do NOT shorten the stock!
^^^2nd this^^^
Posted By: spring Re: A small LOP adjustment - 09/14/23 12:17 PM
I got the gun yesterday and really like it. I can feel the longer LOP but will give it a chance as it is. The pad that's on it is the same as you can see that was spec'd out on the original order form, and in total is about 5/8" wide. Making it a bit thinner without cutting the wood appears to be an option but I'll hold off for now.
Thanks to all for the advice and insight.
Posted By: Wonko the Sane Re: A small LOP adjustment - 09/14/23 12:41 PM
I've always considered the whole "caretaker" argument to be absurd. The original owner was not told how the gun had to be configured, and neither should you. It's your gun, do whatever you want to it.
Posted By: spring Re: A small LOP adjustment - 09/15/23 12:15 AM
The new gun shoots well. Took it out and targeted it a bit today. When shooting it I didn’t notice the 1/4” at all. I’m sure it helped only wearing a t-shirt today; a plus when a gun made for someone else has measurements very close to your own.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: A small LOP adjustment - 09/15/23 09:35 AM
Wow!! That's gorgeous!! I'd see how it shoots with a shooting vest, if that is what you normally shoot with. That pad is really nice, too. Take care and good luck with that!!
Posted By: JNW Re: A small LOP adjustment - 09/16/23 10:20 PM
https://www.hastingsdistribution.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=388

This will work well.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: A small LOP adjustment - 09/17/23 12:43 AM
Wonko is right. It is your gun and you decide what you want to do. But keep in mind, when people on here say you can do this or that, they are only making suggestions and trying to give you ideas that you may not have thought of and they are only trying to help you. So, I apologize if I went overboard suggesting what to do. You make the decision on how you want the gun to be and enjoy your gun. Good luck.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com