doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Brian Browning Citori grade question - 09/03/23 12:05 AM
A widow came to me wanting to have me sell her late husbands Browning. its a 16 Ga Citori, Grade II??
cant find info on it. can anyone identify grade and ballpark what I can tell her its worth?
I dont want it but will sell for her through my own FFL.
wood is better than standard grade. lighting doesnt show grain very well

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Browning Citori grade question - 09/03/23 03:50 AM
I believe that is higher than a Grade II. And being a 16 gauge? I'd compare it with the ones on Guns International or another website to find the grade and get an idea of the price.
Posted By: OldMaineWoodsman Re: Browning Citori grade question - 09/03/23 11:06 AM
This appears to be a Grade III Citori. The wood is group 2-3 grade with a high gloss finish. Should be quail on one side, with grouse on the other.

Use the Blue Book along with a couple of the auction sites to form a consensus. The 16 gauge with 28" barrels tend to generate plenty of interest.
Posted By: Brian Re: Browning Citori grade question - 09/03/23 02:19 PM
I looked on GI and nothing I could find similar. I use Blue Book but we all know their prices dont always reflect reality. some high, some low.
But thanks f
Thanks for confirming Grade III.
Thats a start
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Browning Citori grade question - 09/03/23 02:38 PM
Rare gun. Super wood.
JR
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Browning Citori grade question - 09/03/23 02:57 PM
There is a grade II and a grade III on Guns International. But, that gun is kind of rare. You'll probably have to figure out by comparison or have it appraised, maybe? Good luck.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Browning Citori grade question - 09/03/23 10:40 PM
Sheesh.

Beat around the bush much?

It's a common commodity gun, it's not rare. It's not ANIB.

$2,000 +/- the 16 gauge factor which today given the ammo supply problem is likely a negative.

Still, there are guys enamored with 16 for less than logical reasons.
Posted By: DaveGG Re: Browning Citori grade question - 09/03/23 11:02 PM
The Matt Eastman book says the Grade II wasn't available in 16 GA. It was available in the grade III in 16 GA and in the round knobs Lightning configuration. 12 ga had different mottif then the 16-20-28-410, they had grouse on one side and quail on the other the 16 ga was discontinued in 1990 so I don't expect there are many out there. The 16 is a square load like the 28 ga and pattern well.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Browning Citori grade question - 09/03/23 11:06 PM
The problem withBluebook values is they have not been updated to my knowledge since the original author died. Many years out of date now. Use only as a starting point. I know they are attempting to update it but are far behind I think. Some low but many too high.
Posted By: DaveGG Re: Browning Citori grade question - 09/03/23 11:17 PM
I used to have a shop and specialized in doubles and Winchesters. The bluebook is good for info but the values seldom align with actual values.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Browning Citori grade question - 09/04/23 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by Shotgunjones
Sheesh.

Beat around the bush much?

It's a common commodity gun, it's not rare. It's not ANIB.

$2,000 +/- the 16 gauge factor which today given the ammo supply problem is likely a negative.

Still, there are guys enamored with 16 for less than logical reasons.
No offense but--I can tell you right now that it is worth a lot more than $2000.00. My regular Citori Lightning will run about $1600.00 plus, it has no engraving and the lower grade of wood. And yes people do like the 16 gauges and pay a little bit more, crazy as it seems. I'm guessing that is easily a $3000-$4000.00 gun. Depending on the condition, which I can't really tell from the pictures.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: Browning Citori grade question - 09/04/23 05:05 AM
But you didn't venture that opinion until I threw a number out there.

They are harder to sell than you might think. 16 gauge eliminates a large percentage of your audience.

It's a nice gun but it's still just a Citori.
Posted By: OldMaineWoodsman Re: Browning Citori grade question - 09/04/23 09:47 AM
A quick look on Guns International shows four different Grade III guns for sale, all 12 gauge.

They range in price from $1999.99 to $4500, with the high one being a pawn shop offering. This is what I meant by forming a consensus.

A 20-gauge Grade III recently sold here in Virginia for I believe just over $3K, not long after it was listed.

For at least the past three decades the 16 has never enjoyed the same range of ammunition choices as the 12 or 20. 16-gauge fans have always known this, but it remains in the field and blinds, and new shooters discover it every day.

They did not produce the Grade III very long, especially in the 16, so it will generate plenty of interest. Yes, it is a Citori, a mass-produced, machine-made gun. But they have a solid reputation, and to many, especially young shooters it would be a nice step up from what they currently have.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Browning Citori grade question - 09/04/23 11:41 AM
We'll just have to wait and see what he sells it for. smile
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Browning Citori grade question - 09/04/23 01:52 PM
It only takes one buyer. Years ago I had an ocean front lot on the outer banks. Bought it when there were five left on my street. Held it until it was the last one. My price was the combined price for the last two lots. Mine was slightly bigger, which meant you could build a slightly larger house. When I told the realtor the price she said it will never sell at that price. List it anyways I said and tell the buyer that price is firm, not open to offers. Of course she brought me an offer a few month later. I hung up on her. When she called back, which I knew she would, I again told her no offers. Half an hour later the buyer met my price.

Point is, it only takes one buyer and this is something they may wait a very long time to find another. 16's do sell. I find 12's a harder sell right now unless it is higher grade. And I have been offered low prices for even high condition lower grades, just like they were well worn shooters. The market is, what it is, right now. Soft on most things not black, high grade, or rare for the right buyer. With good pictures, which I can not take, I would list it on the web at what we would call a high price and see what happens. You can always go down in price but you can not always go up later.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Browning Citori grade question - 09/05/23 03:41 PM
And just like that an ANIB Grade 3 12 gauge appears on GunsInternational.
$2500 shipped.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Browning Citori grade question - 09/05/23 07:15 PM
Originally Posted by Bob Cash
And just like that an ANIB Grade 3 12 gauge appears on GunsInternational.
$2500 shipped.
Tack about $500.00 on to that price and you'll have what a 16 gauge will go for. I have been in the market for a Model 21 and I have been watching them every day. The 16 gauges go for a lot more than the 12s and the 20s are ridiculous. I'm with Shotgunjones on the high prices of the 16 gauge ammo. But some people have money burning a hole in their heads. Errrr...... pockets, I mean. smile
Posted By: OldMaineWoodsman Re: Browning Citori grade question - 09/05/23 07:23 PM
I gave up on a Model 21 (for now, anyway). I understand the attraction and demand, but I'm just not going to pay that kind of money that most sellers are asking. Nothing against those who can and do, just not me.
Posted By: Brian Re: Browning Citori grade question - 09/06/23 01:06 AM
Thanks for all of the insight. Blue Book is a guesstimate and says 2000 plus 15% for 16.

If I listed it here for 2995 most guys here would say its over priced.
The same ones who say they buy 20 Ga ejector Sterlingworth's all day long for under 2K!!!!!

I might list it here and pay Dave his vig before I go to GI.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com