doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Nitrah Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/20/23 06:02 PM
Normally I shoot 3/4 oz in a light 12 ga SxS. Since my wife started shooting I found her a 20 ga O/U not too heavy and when I tried it recently, with factory ammo, I realized why after 50 clays she usually had had enough. So I am going to start loading 20 ga 3/4 oz loads and the formulas I have found so far are 14-15 grns of Green Dot or 17 grns of Unique in AA hulls and the Claybuster 3/4 oz wad. Any other suggestions before I go stock up on powder and wads?
Posted By: GLS Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/20/23 06:38 PM
https://www.shotgunworld.com/threads/the-20-gauge-3-4-oz-thread-of-justice.421067/
Lots of good info above. Gil
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/20/23 08:43 PM
Recognize that placing a cheerio in the shotcup to get a good crimp increases the payload, even if it's not a pellet.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/20/23 09:07 PM
First off... you don't say what you are shooting. Trap? Skeet? Sporting clays? The next thing I noticed-- 50 Birds is a lot of targets to be shooting at. A lot of guys would be tired after 50 targets. So I would say she's doing pretty well in that area. Also, is she getting tired from recoil or is the gun just getting heavy for her?
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/20/23 10:59 PM
The 3/4 oz load you reference is a good one. No complaints here.
They run about $7.00/bx all in. So when I can get Federal 100 packs for $32.50, my press sits, and I accumulate Federal hulls.
Green dot isn't super punchy, and a lighter load softens it even more.
5/8 oz in the 20 is a little more fiddlesome.
I think you can probably get her a long way shooting the 3/4 @ 1150fps.
Every new shooter experiences fatigue at first. Work with her on it. Rest, stay hydrated, use a tote for cartridges.
Posted By: Lucky1 Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/21/23 01:03 AM
I am loading 3/4 oz in my 20 using 13.4 gr of green dot with cb 3/4 oz wad. Breaking 40 yd target pretty regular. Super soft shooting load. She will love them.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/21/23 01:11 AM
Originally Posted by Jimmy W
The next thing I noticed-- 50 Birds is a lot of targets to be shooting at. A lot of guys would be tired after 50 targets.
Are you serious? 50 targets are nothing for most of us. Just getting warmed up.
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/21/23 01:22 AM
It's hard for me to get my head around anyone, regardless gender, getting "taxed" from shooting 50 loads of 7/8 oz. shells. I'm absolutely not saying it can't happen, just hard for me to fathom. I've run through 1300 7/8 oz. loads a day for four straight days without a recoil problem, and I peg the scales at 170 lbs., when wet.

Good luck with the 3/4 oz. loads for your wife, Jeff. I'm sure she will appreciate them, and I know from experience what 3/4 oz. shot will do on clays and small game birds. I've proven it on many dove shoots with WW factory 3/4 oz. .410 loads and with my 3/4 oz. .410 reloads.
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/21/23 02:47 AM
well first thanks for load tips. In our defense I would say we haven't gone to the step to get the gun really adjusted for her fit. I usually shoot 100 while she shoots 50 but she came along to a SxS shoot and it called for 100 clays. By 75 she was losing interest, I think from not good (consistent) gun mount, hot day and poor gun fit. She has a health issue which is worse in the heat, so it was a combination of factors.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/21/23 03:24 AM
Fatigue is real. The activity is supposed to be fun, not punishment.
She might like to start with a round of skeet or 5 stand, just to limit the gun carrying and recoil. Much less strenuous than walking a course carrying a gun and cartridges.
I have found that it takes a while to build up the strength and endurance to shoot all afternoon.
3/4oz loads will really help.
If her shoulder pocket is getting warm, or sore, she's not really ready for greater volume. It takes a while to strengthen/toughen up that area.
No need to make yourself sore right away if the activity could potentially go on for years Ease into it. Her muscles will adapt.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/21/23 04:55 AM
Originally Posted by John Roberts
The next thing I noticed-- 50 Birds is a lot of targets to be shooting at. A lot of guys would be tired after 50 targets.
JR
You're probably a lot younger than I am. And 50 targets for a lot of women is quite a bit since she is a new shooter. I just shot 50 targets at sporting clays Friday and barely made it back to the clubhouse. Ha-ha!! I realized why a lot of guys bring their Gators. Even so, I remember 20 years ago, 2-3 rounds of trap or skeet and most of the guys were ready to quit and have a beer. When it's 90* out you can get pretty tired pretty quick.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/21/23 05:15 AM
Another thing to remember- If she is shooting trap, she won't break anything with a 20 gauge. A lot of times people think a 20 gauge is the answer. She will probably take less of a beating with a 12 gauge. If a person doesn't break anything, they'll get discouraged really quick and want to quit. There are a lot of things involved to consider.
Posted By: Samuel_Hoggson Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/21/23 09:48 AM
I load 5/8 oz 20s for kids. Not just kids.......never ran a straight with a 5# 3 oz AS20EL till it was fed 5/8 oz weenies.

For that payload Promo/Red Dot/Clays works fine, GD would also work. CF Rem or WW hull, CB mint, puffed rice after shot drop. Needless to say, they don't cycle autos.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/21/23 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by Nitrah
well first thanks for load tips. In our defense I would say we haven't gone to the step to get the gun really adjusted for her fit. I usually shoot 100 while she shoots 50 but she came along to a SxS shoot and it called for 100 clays. By 75 she was losing interest, I think from not good (consistent) gun mount, hot day and poor gun fit. She has a health issue which is worse in the heat, so it was a combination of factors.

That makes it much easier to understand, Jeff. All those factors can "pile up" and cause shooting to be uncomfortable in a short while. Hope y'all work it out for the best.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/21/23 11:05 AM
AA hull
cb1075-20 wad
Cheddite 209 primer
20/28 powder
13.8 charge
11/16oz shot
1202 fps
6950 psi

I had these tested by Tom A for a damascus 20ga Flues I use to shoot..

Hope this helps.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/21/23 11:41 AM
You still haven't said what you are shooting. Trap? Skeet? Sporting clays? 5 stand? The event that you are shooting and the gun and load you choose makes all the difference in the world. And a 20 gauge won't work on all of these. Good luck.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/21/23 03:05 PM
JR
You're probably a lot younger than I am.
Fwiw, I'm 72.
JR
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/21/23 04:26 PM
We shoot sporting, walk the course. I started her with a youth model 1100 in 20 ga, but due to my own prejudices switched her to first a 20 skb sxs and then 20 O/U that previous owners had shorted stock. The fit is not awful but pitch probably needs adjustment. She pre mounts the gun but isn't always consistent and it only takes one of two face slaps from not having shouldered it right to make her think she would rather be playing pickleball, indoors. I am on the way to 71 and she is a few years behind me. The 20 ga press should be here tomorrow and hopefully I'll have lighter loads ready for the Vintager event , I appreciate all the feedback and info.
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/21/23 05:22 PM
When my wife first started shooting I loaded her 20 gauge 3/4 ounce at about 1150 fps to minimize recoil. After she had been shooting for a while I goofed and didn't bring enough cartridges for her so we had to buy factory 7/8 ounce at 1200 fps. The recoil did not bother her so since then she has shot 7/8 ounce at 1200/1210. She's 80 years old and 10 days ago shot a round of 100 sporting clays without issue and she'll shoot more than that at the Vintage Gunners Cup the week after next.
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/21/23 05:30 PM
Nitrah, check your PM's.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/22/23 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by FlyChamps
She's 80 years old and 10 days ago shot a round of 100 sporting clays without issue and she'll shoot more than that at the Vintage Gunners Cup the week after next.

And, as an unbiased observer, she is very much a petite female, and very much a lady.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/22/23 01:25 AM
JR
You're probably a lot younger than I am.
Fwiw, I'm 72.
JR
Great!! Good luck, John.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Light loads for 20 ga? - 08/22/23 09:44 AM
I seldom shoot anything other than 3/4 oz loads using either Unique or Green Dot and the Claybuster wad at skeet in my 20s. But I don't own a real target gun, and a couple of my 20ga sxs weigh less than 6#. Not registered, just recreational. But on a couple of lucky occasions, I have managed a straight.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com