doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ClapperZapper Coming Soon… - 07/26/23 07:44 PM
The 2023-2024 game shooting seasons will soon be upon us.
Aug 12 is only 17 days off.

Got any big plans for this year?

2023 should be action packed.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Coming Soon… - 07/26/23 07:52 PM
CZ: you beat me to it. Hopefully a fishing trip or two in late August/early September, Minnesota for grouse and walleye (& maybe ducks too this year) in September/October, hopefully a trip to the Dakotas for pheasant this year, Elk & deer tags in November. Bring it on!
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Coming Soon… - 07/26/23 07:53 PM
Ruffed grouse in at least 2 states. Pheasants in at least 2 additional states. One new gun to try for grouse.

Looking like a great year for squirrels as well.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Coming Soon… - 07/26/23 09:41 PM
Doves in two states, ducks in two as well. I loaned my Buffalo cultivator to a neighboring plantation to help them control the weeds in their sunflowers, several hundred acres scattered in dozens of fields across 50,000+ acres. In return the game managers told me I had invites to every dove shoot they have in the coming season(s). I call that a pretty good swap. I'm excited.

Now, if we only get the right weather for good woodcock numbers here this winter ..........

37 days, 18 hrs., 17 minutes and 16 seconds
Posted By: Dan S. W. Re: Coming Soon… - 07/26/23 10:55 PM
Booked my first grouse hunt. Outfitter in Western NY. Fingers crossed.
Posted By: oskar Re: Coming Soon… - 07/27/23 02:53 PM
Looking forward to dove and early teal here in NM. Good time to shoot the double flint.sxs that will arrive tomorrow. I might even work up a load with NP BBs and give the coyotes a shot. I just got wads for light loads in my hammer 10ga so that might go along.
Posted By: liverwort Re: Coming Soon… - 07/27/23 03:48 PM
I admire the Scottish traditional grouse hunting. There is something special about those green hills backed by blue sky and stone-stacked hides, the latter the most modern feature of the three, but all as traditional as things get. Of course, there are the grouse. Wild birds, living the way they should. American grouse and woodcock hold on to the same natural world life too, something that seems so fragile in these modern times.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Coming Soon… - 07/27/23 04:00 PM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Doves in two states, ducks in two as well. I loaned my Buffalo cultivator to a neighboring plantation to help them control the weeds in their sunflowers, several hundred acres scattered in dozens of fields across 50,000+ acres. In return the game managers told me I had invites to every dove shoot they have in the coming season(s). I call that a pretty good swap. I'm excited.

Now, if we only get the right weather for good woodcock numbers here this winter ..........

37 days, 18 hrs., 17 minutes and 16 seconds
Dang. Stan. As my Dad used to say about someone who married up (I did), you stuck your tallywhacker in a tub of butter with that move. Congrats!
JR
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Coming Soon… - 07/27/23 05:34 PM
It is a shame that grouse shooting in the UK is under such virulent attack.
I don't know how much longer it will be possible for non Royals to participate.
Every year more concessions, rules, and declining opportunities.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com