doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: battle John Dickson round action - 06/20/23 07:43 PM
I've been offered a very nice Dickson. It's in the UK and could have it added to my next shipment. Should I buy it?
Posted By: KY Jon Re: John Dickson round action - 06/20/23 08:04 PM
I’ve never seen a bad round action. I have seen a few which were very well worn. They have a following and most are quickly snapped up. Barrels good, I assume.
Posted By: susjwp Re: John Dickson round action - 06/20/23 08:08 PM
Post some photos and information and see the response.
Posted By: battle Re: John Dickson round action - 06/20/23 09:26 PM
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: John Dickson round action - 06/20/23 10:18 PM
Yes, you most definitely should!

Thats a dream gun right there. At least it is in my dreams.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: John Dickson round action - 06/20/23 11:41 PM
It really depends on the cost and barrel thickness. Not a bad looking gun, but looks like it’s been lightly buffed.

Ken
Posted By: battle Re: John Dickson round action - 06/21/23 12:30 AM
Would you give 5 American for it?
Posted By: battle Re: John Dickson round action - 06/21/23 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by KDGJ
It really depends on the cost and barrel thickness. Not a bad looking gun, but looks like it’s been lightly buffed.

Ken

Just curious. What are you basing your statement off of "looks like it's been lightly buffed" ? The makers name in the banner? At that angle it does appear lightly engraved.

What would the minimum wall thickness you/anyone would feel good about? I have asked and waiting numbers.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: John Dickson round action - 06/21/23 02:30 AM
The action looks very bright in the pictures is why I think it may be lightly brushed. It also could be the lighting. This is an action has the cocking indicators and most would have had Damascus barrels with 29” barrels. Can you tell if these are the original barrels? As far as wall thickness, 21 or 22 thou wouldn’t bother me depending on the location. If the barrels are nice, $5k is a great price.

Ken
Posted By: GETTEMANS Re: John Dickson round action - 06/21/23 06:15 AM
Not nice but very nice.
Marc.
Posted By: susjwp Re: John Dickson round action - 06/21/23 11:33 AM
Is that a crack in photo one near the action? The wood extension appears thicker in photo three than two. Are they the same stock?
Posted By: vam5067 Re: John Dickson round action - 06/21/23 12:21 PM
Yes
Posted By: Nitrah Re: John Dickson round action - 06/21/23 12:43 PM
I don't think it has been buffed, the engraving looks appropriate for a gun of that age. If you post the ser #, I'll tell you when it was made, I am guessing 1890 to 1900. I will warn you once you have one, you will want another.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: John Dickson round action - 06/21/23 12:46 PM
I don't think it has been buffed. Maybe it was run through an ultrasonic cleaner, but that is all. I wonder what it's original finish looked like?

Great gun though. I would love to just handle one once, but I've never seen one in real life.
Posted By: Nitrah Re: John Dickson round action - 06/21/23 01:06 PM
I should have mentioned, reach out to JP Daeschler, Dir of Dicksons. He is a great guy and as he explained to me because the # of guns is so small he knows most of them. He saved me from buying a worn out gun and gave me a thumbs up on another.
Posted By: SKB Re: John Dickson round action - 06/21/23 01:21 PM
The action looks brushed to me, not a trace of CC even in protected areas is what I see. Appears to have a very low comb as well. Good looking gun, as Ken says, check wall thickness but that is a great price if it checks out.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: John Dickson round action - 06/21/23 01:56 PM
With these types of rare guns it always comes down to barrel condition first. If they are too thin your options are sleeve, shoot very light/low pressure loads or put a set of Brileys in it. Sleeving will change the barrel dynamics’s but make it usable. Social loads will restrict shooting options a bit but that is not a Sporting Clays gun. Briley tubes will make it swing like a fence post. If the barrels are .020 or under, a real chance, I would only buy it if it were sleeved. Just me. I’ve got enough thin walled guns already.
Posted By: Chukarman Re: John Dickson round action - 06/29/23 03:19 PM
That gun is very similar to a RA Dickson that I owned for many years. Mine was made and delivered in 1893 and had the same cocking indicators, which disappeared when Dickson modified the design to accommodate overhanging intercepting sears. Mine was originally 29" Damascus barrels, but was rebarreled (by the maker) with 27" chopper lump steel barrels. It was a delight to shoot.

I believe that these Dicksons must have used some type of high nickel-steel alloy for the actions, as most of the ones I see appear to be 'polished' with little or no case colors evident.
Posted By: battle Re: John Dickson round action - 06/29/23 06:57 PM
So not all were care color hardened?
Posted By: ed good Re: John Dickson round action - 06/29/23 08:10 PM
thats a nice gun...

particularly like the scabbed on wood extension to butt stock...a sign of true wood working skill...

instead of a bright red condom, one often sees screwed on to the wood...
Posted By: HistoricBore Re: John Dickson round action - 06/30/23 03:59 PM
I should grab it!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com