doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: FallCreekFan OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/04/23 05:52 PM
Another (rare) rainy day here and thinking about what to cook outside when the sun next shines. What’s your favorite wild game fare? Or, in light of our grandkids’ answer, what’s your most unusual favorite?

I just asked our three local grandkids whom we’re keeping this weekend what theirs was and they immediately and enthusiastically answered, “Panda!” (as in Panda Express 😉)
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/04/23 05:56 PM
Squirrels, marinated and grilled
Posted By: spring Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/04/23 06:07 PM
Dove and eland.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/04/23 09:08 PM
Dove, wild bobwhite, and duck.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/04/23 10:32 PM
Elk, ruffed grouse, and walleye.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/04/23 11:05 PM
Elk, most upland birds probably Bobs first, and waterfowl off their nesting grounds. But, if you want fresh and unusual, 'yotes are in season?
Posted By: GLS Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/05/23 12:17 AM
Snipe, woodcock, dove, woodduck, GW teal, acorn fed greenheads, wild quail. Gil
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/05/23 12:47 AM
Snapping turtle stew.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/05/23 01:31 AM
One fine morning in the duck blind in eastern Arkansas we were joined by a good friend who was a restauranteur in Forrest City. He loved to cook more than hunt ducks and would often go with us just to cook our breakfast. This particular morning he had a couple armloads of stuff loaded into the boat headed to the blind, including a small charcoal grill. By about 9 a.m. he said it was ready and we wanted to eat it while it was hot. He had made duck "rolls". They were absolutely the most heavenly duck blind breakfast of my life. Filleted mallard breast meat, sliced thin, and rolled up in the right "direction" to bite through tenderly, with ground sausage and cream cheese rolled into them before grilling. I'll never forget them, and make them occasionally for myself and friends. Just wonderful.
Posted By: NTaxiarchis Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/05/23 02:59 AM
The small inner venison loins sliced lengthwise, marinated, and grilled. It's tradition for the first deer killed every fall. Weirdest was probably cobra. I was very very hungry so "good" is relative.
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/05/23 09:02 AM
Wild rabbit provencal, woodcock no matter how it is cooked, hare, and a recipe concocted on a whim: woodpigen breasts cooked the way of Spanish oxtail (rabo de toro) in a pressure cooker.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/05/23 02:07 PM
Fried Bobwhite quail...Geo
Posted By: OldMaineWoodsman Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/05/23 02:33 PM
Moose, Wood Duck.
Posted By: Southern Sport Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/05/23 02:58 PM
Bob White, Wood Duck, elk and cotton tails.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/05/23 05:15 PM
I had mountain lion once at a game dinner, quite tasty and tender. I read that on the Lewis & Clarke expedition it was the men's favorite meat after buffalo hump.
Posted By: Tamid Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/05/23 05:19 PM
Bighorn sheep antelope and the straps off a grain fed mule deer. Unfortunately the sheep only comes a few times in ones lifetime.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/05/23 05:34 PM
Fried quail, chukkar breasts in mushroom gravy
Oryx
Crappie, Freshwater Perch and Bream, Flounder
Southern style baby shrimp
Salmon fire roasted on a cedar plank
Posted By: RyanF Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/06/23 08:48 PM
Originally Posted by craigd
Elk, most upland birds probably Bobs first, and waterfowl off their nesting grounds. But, if you want fresh and unusual, 'yotes are in season?

LOL. Collard doves might be a better "fresh" choice. Sandhill crane is my favorite bird.
Posted By: playing hooky Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/06/23 09:12 PM
Aged venison loin grilled to medium rare (125 degrees)
Sauteed mallard breast with Cumberland (cherry) sauce
Squirrel parboiled then fried in butter, pan gravy to sop rolls in
Smothered birds (braised quail)

Wild game = better than 5-star big city restaurant fare
Posted By: craigd Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/07/23 01:04 AM
Originally Posted by RyanF
....Sandhill crane is my favorite bird.
This is a good choice. I don't run into it too often, but a friend of mine calls it, ribeye in the sky.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/07/23 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by craigd
Originally Posted by RyanF
....Sandhill crane is my favorite bird.
This is a good choice. I don't run into it too often, but a friend of mine calls it, ribeye in the sky.

That's strange to me. I've heard others say the same thing, but I would rate it among the worst birds I've ever eaten. We can blame the cook, I suppose.

Everyone is different.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/07/23 03:22 AM
I’ve never had much Sandhill, nor consistently. Maybe, it is just luck, but high heat seared, pinkish on the insides of a not too thick breast fillet. Just some sea salt sprinkled after it’s fairly thin sliced across the grain. We eat it finger food style, I guess not really as a meal. It’s a nice side dish to a game sampler type spread, I would say. I don’t think it’s ribeye, but I think it’s enjoyable, probably comes down to preference.

I’ve seen a fair bunch of nesting Sandhills, so the ones I’ve eaten, may not have done much migrating. It’s a huge contrast to diver duck, for my taste buds. I absolutely can’t get enough wing shooting Scaup, but I suppose it’s a good thing I don’t run into many, way down on the table fare list for me
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/07/23 11:10 AM
These white wings were very good.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Feel the stag Macleod!

Rabbit?

I like all of it for what it is.

Grilled sheep loin is pretty special.
Might be the rarest, and possibly the most delicious.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/07/23 02:32 PM
Shanks from deer, antelope, or elk, braised in liquid for a long period. When the shank breaks down, it is wonderful eating.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/07/23 07:35 PM
Hard to beat bacon wrapped Dove but last week I Smoked a Splatchcock goose with candy-bacon over the breast. It was superb. Moist, Smokey meat, crispy skin with that candy bacon on top. Served with wild rice and grilled asparagus.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/09/23 01:46 PM
I'm with Daryl on the shanks...

Served over rice with a nice Red.....not bad at all.
Posted By: Jimmy W Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/10/23 12:49 PM
I can't eat red meat anymore because of my Gout. But I made some Elk burgers one time years ago in french onion soup. My gosh were they ever good. And pheasant.....oh yeah!!
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/11/23 02:22 PM
I had catfish for the 1st time in something like 30 years the other day. Freshly caught and with a couple of decent size fish (3/4 lbs), it was pan-fried in vegetable oil and was shockingly good.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT Favorite wild game fare - 06/11/23 03:41 PM
Nothing wrong with a fried catfish. I prefer it to cod. That said, I don’t turn down cod.

Best,
Ted
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com