doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Owenjj3 Spring Southern - 04/26/23 09:07 PM
I am booked to go to the Southern this weekend and hope to see some of you there despite the rain forecast for Friday & Sunday. Saturday looks to be a good day. I hope they have solved the traffic issue on the course this year.
Posted By: eeb Re: Spring Southern - 04/26/23 11:58 PM
Tomorrow afternoon should be good shooting. Friday will be spent dodging raindrops. Safe travels to everyone
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Spring Southern - 04/27/23 12:07 AM
Plan on being there all four days.
Posted By: Southern Sport Re: Spring Southern - 04/27/23 10:53 AM
I'll probably only make Saturday and Sunday. Work gets in the way. It's a short drive for me.
Posted By: CJF Re: Spring Southern - 04/27/23 11:46 PM
Going Saturday
Posted By: tut Re: Spring Southern - 04/29/23 10:16 AM
Folks, been here every day working the Fox booth with Kevin McCormack. Bring cash, lots of cash. Lots of eye candy in here. Everything was slow on Thursday due to horrible weather. Good weather started yesterday about 10 am, but its still muddy. Weather looks outstanding today. PS. If you shoot plan on having some damp and muddy feet.
Posted By: Mills Re: Spring Southern - 04/30/23 12:57 AM
Friday was supposed to be a downpour, but fortunately it missed us and was fairly pleasant Friday and Saturday. Lots of familiar faces and a bunch of new ones too.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Spring Southern - 04/30/23 02:38 AM
What a great event this year. The traffic issues that plagued last year have been solved with the addition of more stands. So good to catch up with a number of friends and witness a few “holding court” in their traditional locations. Saw some amazing guns (a mint 20 bore BIW Purdey comes to mind) bought a nice Boss and discussed potential trades. Shot a hammer event poorly but redeemed myself in a hammerless follow up. More fun to come tomorrow…
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Spring Southern - 04/30/23 12:40 PM
Sounds like you missed some of the soggy stuff. As the old USMC Mantra said: "It never rains on the rifle range"-- just wondering, do they halt the clays events because of the weather. I won't duck hunt in the rain, so not likely I would be thrilled about shooting clays in the rain. RWTF
Posted By: Southern Sport Re: Spring Southern - 04/30/23 02:29 PM
Yesterday was beautiful weather. The crowd was very large by mid-day. Good to see so many folks out. I was unable to make a deal on a Fox CE but did pick up a nice Beesley London side lock. That CE was there last year and was over priced. It was $900 less this year and still over priced. The folks at Atkin Grant and Lang told me they view this as the best SxS event top to bottom, a great diverse selection of guns. They said this is the only US event they will be doing going forward. A great day and a great event.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Spring Southern - 04/30/23 02:37 PM
Owen, was the Boss a sidelever hammer BTW? I did make a purchase first thing as I could not resist, a 1898 Joseph Lang & Son pigeon hammer gun that had been sleeved to 32". It's a beast of a gun.
Posted By: CJF Re: Spring Southern - 04/30/23 03:10 PM
I went yesterday. Only purchased a brass cornered leather case that now holds one of my double rifles. Took a friend who was new to classic side by sides but who shoots a ton. He loved it. And he was kind enough to listen what I could share on what we were seeing. Great event.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Spring Southern - 04/30/23 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by PALUNC
Owen, was the Boss a sidelever hammer BTW? I did make a purchase first thing as I could not resist, a 1898 Joseph Lang & Son pigeon hammer gun that had been sleeved to 32". It's a beast of a gun.

I'd love to see pics if it. Pigeon guns are very special to me.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Spring Southern - 04/30/23 04:33 PM
Second pigeon gun I have picked up this year. First one was a 1906 Purdey that has been restocked in a very nice piece of wood. It weighs in at 7lb / 12oz.
The Lang hammer gun that has been sleeved to 32" weighs in at 8lb /3oz.
I sent the Lang straight away to Gunter for some freshening up. Now I need a case that will accommodate a 32" hammer gun.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Spring Southern - 05/01/23 12:51 AM
I'm with Stan, Mike. Would really love to see photos of the Lang. Many.
JR
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Spring Southern - 05/01/23 01:16 AM
Originally Posted by John Roberts
I'm with Stan, Mike. Would really love to see photos of the Lang. Many.
JR

If you can't post pics yourself send them to me via email and I'll post them here. The more the better.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Spring Southern - 05/01/23 11:53 AM
Sorry guys, I gave the Lang to Gunter on Saturday at the event to start working on a few things. When I get it back will share pictures with everyone.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Spring Southern - 05/01/23 01:25 PM
Mike, Yes it was a side lever hammer from 1881 still in original BP proof. Sounds like you saw it, too! There were a lot of guns moving at the event. Two vendors in one tent sold > 1/2 of their inventory.
Posted By: PALUNC Re: Spring Southern - 05/01/23 03:35 PM
Owen, I am guessing Francis Lovell? I also bought the Lang Pigeon gun from him on day one. I looked at the Boss and almost pulled the trigger on it. Did not realize it was BP though if that is the one.
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Spring Southern - 05/02/23 01:45 PM
Mike, Yep you guessed it. Thanks for leaving it for me. Congrats to Chuck De Vinnie running 5 birds clear of the runner up in the Main Event hammerless with 80/80. Matthew Hunt of AG&L (as the event sponsor) presented the hammer trophy to himself with 73/80. Great shooting gents!
Posted By: aw1776 Re: Spring Southern - 05/02/23 10:02 PM
Chuck devinnie he is a great guy I have personally met him and he’s wonderful, helpful person. a great shot he shoots a CSMC model, 21s and rbl’s. And he don’t miss
Posted By: Rebel Sympathy Re: Spring Southern - 05/02/23 10:06 PM
I was there for a while on Saturday. Saw Landon and Stu. Were you there, Mike? If you were I missed you. (Hate that). Was at Westley Richards booth a lot with L.D. and Jim Lampy. Anyone else?
Posted By: DGM Re: Spring Southern - 05/04/23 01:51 PM
Scores for the Southern are posted on Scorechaser: https://app.scorechaser.com/tournament-ML0YEKJOGM0FUd

Over 300 total entrants - a strong turnout.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com