doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Run With The Fox remington double guns - 04/06/23 08:20 PM
Local dealer has a nice M1900 12 ga. 28" M&T-Damascus barrels- no damage, they ring whenh hung= good dims, why are the 1894 Remingtons listed in the Blue Book as being worth somewhat more, conditions being equal. I believe this is a K--dt, ext. nice older gun..RWTF
Posted By: KY Jon Re: remington double guns - 04/06/23 08:48 PM
The 1900 was a simplified version of the 1894 with a snap on for-end. Most I have seen were A and B grades.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: remington double guns - 04/06/23 08:51 PM
Thanks- all I know about them is that the Edmund Osthaus shot quail with Remington double guns, just as Odgen Pleissner shot a Francotte..RWTF
Posted By: canvasback Re: remington double guns - 04/06/23 09:30 PM
Think Fox A grade and Fox Sterlingworth.

Ive had all four. The Remington's and the Foxes. Remington build quality is right up there with Parker. And it's a A&D boxlock design. Fox is an entirely different design and the build quality isn't quite as good.
Posted By: canvasback Re: remington double guns - 04/06/23 09:38 PM
42,000 Graded Remington 1894 made. Roughly 90,000 1900 made.

The reason you see mostly A and B grades is VERY Small numbers of the higher grades made. No hard records but the known E and D grades are both less than 100 including all gauges produced (10, 12 and 16). E grades number around 50 now and when I bought my first Remington, there were only about 33 known E grades.

I don't know the C grade numbers off the top of my head but it will be small as well.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: remington double guns - 04/06/23 11:56 PM
The 1894 had some of the nicest case colors of any American made double. I had a BE grade with some of the nicest colors on any gun I ever owned. The blues were so subtle but vibrant at the same time. Hard to describe. Kind off like oil and water colors mixed in the same painting. I am not a big fan of the stock cracking but it is an easy repair if caught soon enough. The 1900's I have seen have mostly been driven hard and put up wet. Different group of owners and they mostly seemed to have been used much harder. Quality they were a lesser well made gun but still a very solid gun. Price point is a fair description.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: remington double guns - 04/07/23 12:34 PM
The same dealer also had a Fox 12 A grade, with Krupp steel barrels, 28" DT, Ext. in the same good condition, which I bought--I thought I read that between the Fox (Phila mfg.) and the 18 pc. actioned Parkers, the Fox guns were somewhat simpler, and although they did not have rebounding hammers, their cocking system was fairly simple, and not as complicated as the 18 pc. Parker design. RWTF
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: remington double guns - 04/07/23 09:51 PM
Just wondering, if I buy this 12 Rem 1900 with 28" Damascus barrels, where can I buy factory black powder shot shells so that I can shoot it. Nice gun, well balanced, well cared for, the way all good guns should be..RWTF
Posted By: Researcher Re: remington double guns - 04/08/23 01:48 AM
From the introduction of the Remington Hammerless Double in the October 1894 Remington Arms Co. catalog They stated all their guns were suitable for nitro powders.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

While no one can tell you over the internet what ammunition may or may not be safe in a given gun, the heaviest smokeless powder 12-gauge loads our North American ammunition manufacturers offered during the time the Remington Hammerless Doubles were being built were actually a bit higher pressure than today's SAAMI specs.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: remington double guns - 04/08/23 10:25 AM
Fox locks are indeed very simple, which points towards the reason they so seldom are seen in gunsmith shops for repair. They contain only three moving parts per lock.

My only Remington double is a 1889 hammergun, and is exceptionally well made for the grade. Metal parts are excellently finished off, showing no tooling or file marks at all.
Posted By: canvasback Re: remington double guns - 04/08/23 11:02 AM
I’ve had 3 Remington with Damascus barrels. Two 1894 B grades and a 1900. All three guns had the thickest barrel walls of any shotgun I have owned. MBWT in all three was over .045 with zero pitting. I shot lower pressure (8000 psi) nitro powder commercial shells in all three. In one B grade I regularly shot modern target loads.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: remington double guns - 04/08/23 04:16 PM
If I can get it for my price, I think I'll pick it up. Is RST still making the ower pressure paper shells that I would plan to shoot in it? What other shell companies in today's market make lower pressure loads, pls?? RWTF
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: remington double guns - 04/08/23 07:39 PM
RST is producing low pressure loads in limited quantities, but they're pricey. B & P Comp Ones are nice, low pressure loads ......... 12 ga., 1 oz., modest velocity. Polywad is out of the low pressure shotshell retail business.
Posted By: AZMike Re: remington double guns - 04/09/23 01:41 PM
I like to shoot my BEO Remington Trap gun at ZZ birds, Doug Mann stocked, checkered and leather seat cover...... Even when I shoot crappy I look real good!
Posted By: canvasback Re: remington double guns - 04/09/23 06:54 PM
They can look pretty good. Here are some shots of my BE after it's restock and rehab:
[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Posted By: Kutter Re: remington double guns - 04/09/23 07:44 PM
I've got an 1894 D grade ejector that's in parts. It got too close to a fire of some sort at some time in it's life, so the forearm is charred. The buttstock is salvageable I think.

A few small hardware pieces were missing from the pile of scattered parts that it was when bought the mess. Story was it had been sent to a Master Restorer for a make-over and nothing ever done to her. When it was finally gotten back after 2yrs those parts were missing.

Nice case colors yet and clean bores. IIRC the ser# is lower than the one in Semmers book. But I might be remembering wrong. That happens now.
I will check.

Should put this one into the 'To be Done' rotation.
Posted By: Southern Sport Re: remington double guns - 04/09/23 11:53 PM
In my opinion the Remington 1894 may be the finest American sxs. I'm a big AH Fox fan but have been very impressed by the 1894's I have handled. When the right one at the right price comes my way I will certainly close the deal.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: remington double guns - 04/10/23 11:49 AM
If I might inquire, what is your opinion of the 1900 series shotguns. Am "on the fence" about buying this 1900 12 bore-kinda waiting until I scope out the low pressure shells available and cost. Your comment is most impressive, if you appreciate the quality in the AH Fox guns, and then also embrace the quality of the Remington 1894. RWTF
Posted By: AZMike Re: remington double guns - 04/10/23 01:13 PM
I own/shoot two 1900's, one 16 gauge (5.5 lbs) another 12 gauge w/light weight frame (6 lbs).
Both corner well but don't have the lovely charm of a graded Remington - mechanically perfect but I like some engraving!
**I wonder if Joe Loy (Remington master engraver) was related to Myrna Loy (one of my favorite 30's/40's actresses)??
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: remington double guns - 04/10/23 02:38 PM
Thanks Mike--my favorite actresses from that era-- hands down: Mae West. "Goodness had nothing to do with it, Dearie""RWTF
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: remington double guns - 04/10/23 04:08 PM
At this time I own a 1873 hammer lifter, 1882 10ga with a barrel rifle liner in 40/60, two 1889s, and six 1894s. There's a A, B, C, and three F grade trap guns. The 1900s where just as good but only had the steel barrels or the simple Damascus pattern and the snap on forearm. I like the better patterns and the looks of the 1894 forearm. The only cracked wood I've had on a Remington SxS is a 1984 that had cracks between the lock plates. I've seen many a LC Smith with cracks in the stock behind the locks. Yes, the A&D action is the simplest, easy to work on if necessary, trouble free action there is. About the only thing that has ever broken are a couple of top lever springs. The 1900s just had the lower grades without engraving or pretty wood with lower priced Damascus or steel barrels.

I think you're worrying too much about shells. Winchester also makes a low recoil, low pressure shell. I shoot mine every week [ one or the other ] with nitro shells. Sherman Bell did test with 20 Damascus Wall Hangers and couldn't blow any of them up with Remington proof loads at 18,240 psi. Many of those guns were Remingtons. If you're still worried please re-read Researchers post. Everyone gets it hammered in their head that Damascus barrel guns are unsafe to shoot unless it's black powder shells. Nonsense. Yes modern steel barrels are stronger, but Damascus barrels are plenty strong enough for what pressures shotgun shells produce, even todays ammo. JMHO
Posted By: gold40 Re: remington double guns - 04/20/23 11:54 PM
I have hunted pheasants for the last 16 years with a Remington 1900 SxS 12 gauge that was restored by Buck Hamlin. It has steel 30" barrels, and I handload 1-1/4 ounces of #5 lead shot. Works great...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com