doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: GLS Author Guy de la Valdene. RIP - 04/05/23 01:06 PM
https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/guy-de-la-valdene-obit/471452
He has joined his running buddies Jim Harrison and Russell Chatham. Hopefully they find Harrison's basketful of "hot buttered cheerleaders" and will always smell The Fragrance of Grass between a bird dog's paw pads.
RIP. Gil
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Author Guy de la Valdene. RIP - 04/05/23 05:08 PM
Gil,
Another sad loss for us all. I always enjoy reading "Making Game-An Essay On Woodcock" at the season's end.
Thank you for sharing.
Karl
Posted By: Mills Re: Author Guy de la Valdene. RIP - 04/05/23 05:59 PM
Sad news . . .
Posted By: GLS Re: Author Guy de la Valdene. RIP - 04/05/23 07:58 PM
Here's a chapter from his last book.
https://gardenandgun.com/feature/the-hidden-caribbean-an-island-education/
Posted By: Tim Carney Re: Author Guy de la Valdene. RIP - 04/05/23 08:39 PM
Evocative prose, GLS, thanks for posting. Surprised to read about Deep Water Cay as my late mother and her husband were staff at the lodge for a number of years in the 60s.

Regards, Tim
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Author Guy de la Valdene. RIP - 04/05/23 08:39 PM
I really enjoyed “For a Handful of Feathers” and his realization that it was futile to attempt to create a quail paradise without consideration for everything else in nature. He lost a daughter under tragic circumstances a few years past and lived an amazing life.

Godspeed.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: spring Re: Author Guy de la Valdene. RIP - 04/06/23 03:02 AM
If you haven't watched it, I think you'll enjoy the movie that Guy helped produce and direct in the early 1970s, Tarpon.
Interesting that the Fly fishing mag article on Guy's death quotes my good friend, Jackie Hutwagner, and his FB page as its source. I was chatting with Jackie about some other issues with dogs a couple of days ago.

Here's an interview with Guy about all of this.

[video:youtube]
[/video]
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Author Guy de la Valdene. RIP - 04/06/23 12:05 PM
Here's another fan of "Making Game". His reaction to being served "toast and trail" in France as a youngster is priceless.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com