doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: shrapnel New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 03/28/23 06:45 PM
I just got this from Kirby at Vintage doubles. This gun is spectacular. I have showed it to a number of people that are stunned with the condition of this gun dating from the early 1870's. The attention to detail on this gun is beyond compare, what a dandy. I will be shooting it soon...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Fantastic find! Shoot it in good health.
Karl
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 03/28/23 07:59 PM
Very nice!
Posted By: campero Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 03/28/23 09:17 PM
Outstanding hammer gun! Hope you tell us how it "talks".
Posted By: ed good Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 03/28/23 10:57 PM
wonderful looking old black powder shooter...

looks restocked, so a strip an stain to match the forend would make it look even better...
Posted By: shrapnel Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 03/28/23 11:52 PM
Originally Posted by ed good
wonderful looking old black powder shooter...

looks restocked, so a strip an stain to match the forend would make it look even better...

Stay away from my gun...

This is a really cool feature, where it shows if the gun is loaded by the lettering on the firing pin...

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 03/29/23 01:36 AM
Nice touch. Neat fences!
You may have a pin hole in the top of the left barrel about 1"
in front of the standing breech.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 03/29/23 10:12 AM
Originally Posted by Steve Helsley

I think I see what Steve is pointing out. 5th photo down.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 03/29/23 01:38 PM
Originally Posted by L. Brown
Originally Posted by Steve Helsley

I think I see what Steve is pointing out. 5th photo down.

Good Lord! restocked and a pinhole. What a bunch of detectives.

No pinhole and it isn't restocked. Look at a LC Smith or something if you want to pick something apart. Powell guns are top tier English guns and this is a real nice 150 year old survivor...
Posted By: RARiddell Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 03/29/23 02:02 PM
Naw shallow pit, take anything what’s his face says with a grain of salt, he’s been having trouble with his ass from elbow comparisons.
That is a very lovely double. 150 yrs and looking great!!
Posted By: ed good Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 03/29/23 02:07 PM
well, if it is indeed 150 year old wood, then dont shoot it much, as the wood may begin to disentegrate...

and as for the pin hole? seek professional help...better safe than sorry...
Posted By: shrapnel Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 03/29/23 03:09 PM
well, if it is indeed 150 year old wood, then dont shoot it much, as the wood may begin to disentegrate...

and as for the pin hole? seek professional help...better safe than sorry...

You don't know much about 150 year old wood or guns. I have a Daw Shotgun that is even older and I have shot dozens of upland game and turekeys with it. You may need to stick to something else to criticise, because you don't know old high quality shotguns.

Steven Dodd Hughes wrote 2 articles on the Daw for Shooting Sportsman magazine and looked the gun completely over to write the articles and he forgot more about fine guns than you will ever know. Suffice it to say, you need to do something else besides armchair quarterbacking shotguns...

Posted By: Drew Hause Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 03/29/23 04:02 PM
Thanks for posting!
Do you have information as to how the gun remaining in such amazing condition for 150 yrs.?
Was it Nitro Proved at some point?

BTW: the barrels are English 2 Stripe
'Zipper' weld between straight ribband end welds

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

According to Bro. Helsley, the barrels on Best grade were labeled in the Powell ledgers as "Best", and were usually 3 Iron. Other grades were simply "Damascus" (usually 2 Iron) or "Stub Damascus" (usually Laminated Steel).

Tiny superficial pits are not uncommon and were usually from surface inclusions lost during the finishing process. I tried to enhance your image and there are a few more nearby. I can't explain the loss of contrast in that area, other than possibly from light rusting that was successfully scrubbed away. Do you know if the barrels were ever rebrowned?

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Shrapnel,
My observation was meant to be a 'heads-up' - not a criticism.

I have collected Powell guns for over 20-years and have a significant collection. My
collecting focus is the 'lifter' (guns like yours) so I have a firm grasp on their quality.
My collection contains two 'pin holes' - unfortunately.

As to your stock, I believe the wood is original. I have a lifter with similar wood. There
is an easy way to possibly confirm its originality. Remove your right lock. During that
period (1870s), Powell's stockers would usually stamp their initials in the wood below
the front tip of the lock plate.
Best policy on your forearms posted here: whatever "advice" Ed Good offers, just do the opposite and you'll be fine.
JR
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 03/29/23 05:39 PM
I have a similar Powell s/n 4661 and in similar condition. Mine has had some re-blueing and has been nitro proved (by Powells).
Posted By: ed good Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 03/29/23 10:10 PM
regarding old wood on old guns, i only know what i have seen..sorry it aint what you an udders wanna hear...

good luck, an keep your loads light and your screws tight...
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 03/29/23 11:30 PM

You know not of what you speak.

The Lang record book says that my Joseph Lang with original wood was completed March 6, 1866 so it is now 157 years old. I quit counting cartridges shot in it several years ago and that was at 6,000 so it's now fired between 6,500 and 7,000. The wood is still fine and I'll continue shooting it until I pass it down to my grandson or granddaughter. And I suspect that one of them will be shooting when they reach my age of 74 and they are only 16 and 12.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 03/29/23 11:49 PM
I took some pictures of the proof marks...

Posted By: Drew Hause Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 03/30/23 01:20 PM
Thanks again. Birmingham proof 1868-1875, with bore 13 = .710" - .728"
No re-proof.

Possibly Bro. Helsley knows the identity of 'JT' and 'JK'? Tube maker? Barrel finisher?
This list ends in 1857
https://paperzz.com/doc/9021082/birmingham-gunmakers-list

Is there a list in Douglas Tate's "Birmingham Gunmakers"?
Posted By: L. Brown Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 03/30/23 02:19 PM
While Tate's book has an excellent short history of William Powell and how that firm prospered after WWII by which time many Birmingham makers had gone out of business and still more would do so before the end of the 20th century, he doesn't have a list of the craftsmen who worked for Powell. But for those who own and collect Powells, it would be worth the price of Tate's book just to have the information it contains on Powell as well as the history of the Birmingham Gun Trade.
Posted By: 12boreman Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 03/30/23 05:43 PM
What a fantastic Powell. Thanks for sharing. I have one that looks much the same except my wood is not of that caliber. I love my Powell Lifter and have taken many upland birds with it over the last 15 years. I believe my serial number is in the 5000 range.
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 04/02/23 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Drew Hause
Thanks again. Birmingham proof 1868-1875, with bore 13 = .710" - .728"
No re-proof.

Possibly Bro. Helsley knows the identity of 'JT' and 'JK'? Tube maker? Barrel finisher?
This list ends in 1857

My gun (4661) also has barrels by JT. There are no (old) marks on the barrel flats (which now carry the modern nitro reproof marks at 0.732 in). The new marks are small and unusually clear and well stamped. Any earlier mark would almost certainly be still visible.

I will see if I can find out who JT and JK were.
Posted By: Parabola Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 04/02/23 01:05 PM
Pre-1875 Proof marks are usually (as on Shrapnel’s gun) stamped on the tubes rather than the barrel flats.
Posted By: JohnfromUK Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 04/03/23 08:43 AM
Originally Posted by Parabola
Pre-1875 Proof marks are usually (as on Shrapnel’s gun) stamped on the tubes rather than the barrel flats.

Yes, the 'old' marks on mine (including the "JT") are on the barrels exactly as Shrapnel's. Unfortunately, my contact was unable to provide a name for either JT or JK. It is possible Steve Helsley may know, or know someone who does.
Posted By: dblgnfix Re: New William Powell And Sons 12 Gauge - 04/04/23 12:04 PM
I have the exact same model gun. I got it because I had to make the spring that works the push lever to open it. Not an easy spring to make. I was telling someone and he had knowledge of someone who had the same gun that also needs a spring.
I contacted the owner and struck a deal to buy his gun since he was afraid of shooting the Damascus bbls. It was also missing a hammer and several screws all of which I made . That was 12 years ago and I've been shooting mine at vintage events and bird hunting ever since . I absolutely love it
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com