doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Marks_21 F^%$&# lost resources - 03/17/23 02:50 PM
I just got off the phone with Bachelder and was told they are currently discontinuing Damascus Barrel work.
I STRONGLY prefer to just leave them as they are, but for the stuff so far gone it needed attention Bachelder did the most pleasing finish I have seen.
All good things must come to end...
Posted By: Mills Re: F^%$&# lost resources - 03/17/23 02:55 PM
Break Gorman is the best there currently is for Damascus barrel work
Posted By: SKB Re: F^%$&# lost resources - 03/17/23 03:50 PM
Bill Graham does nice work as does LeFusil.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: F^%$&# lost resources - 03/17/23 04:10 PM
Originally Posted by Mills

I just got a set of barrels from a board member here that Gorman did. They’re awful. Poorly polished. Absolutely no pit removal or draw filing done., sharp edges on the lugs rounded over, and the color was way way off. Terrible job.
Posted By: eeb Re: F^%$&# lost resources - 03/17/23 04:51 PM
Not denying your observation but I have had Breck do both Damascus and fluid steel barrels and he did a superb job on both.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: F^%$&# lost resources - 03/17/23 05:06 PM
Good for you. With that said, just from my observation of his handiwork alone, he is absolutely NOT “the best” there is currently doing Damascus work. Not by a long shot.

Glad you had a good experience.
Posted By: susjwp Re: F^%$&# lost resources - 03/17/23 05:12 PM
Terry Deem, Vincent OH., both black and brown; Buck H. In Peveley, MO, does brown damascus. Both are excellent.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: F^%$&# lost resources - 03/17/23 05:21 PM
Bill Graham at "Nice Old Doubles" in North Carolina...Geo
Posted By: keith Re: F^%$&# lost resources - 03/17/23 09:08 PM
Originally Posted by LeFusil
Originally Posted by Mills

I just got a set of barrels from a board member here that Gorman did. They’re awful. Poorly polished. Absolutely no pit removal or draw filing done., sharp edges on the lugs rounded over, and the color was way way off. Terrible job.

I've seen several examples of Dustin's rust bluing and browning work on both fluid steel and Damascus. He does a superb job, and is obviously very careful with the prep work that is required to obtain a very nice result. He is eminently qualified to know the difference between great work, and mediocre work.

It doesn't take much for a good reputation to be ruined. The poor prep work observed by Dustin could have been done by a helper or apprentice. But poor work should never be returned to the paying customer, even if it constitutes only one percent of the work that shop turns out. Some things like shipping damage may be unavoidable. But final inspection before shipping should catch the types of errors Dustin described. Some errors can be fixed. But once metal, engraving, and other fine detail is removed, the damage may be permanent. That's a big reason I prefer to do my own work.
Posted By: NCTarheel Re: F^%$&# lost resources - 03/18/23 03:11 PM
Bill Graham at "Nice Old Doubles" in Durham, NC, was just accepted as a member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild as a finisher. I just received the latest issue of the ACGG's magazine; and in that magazine, Glenn Fewless states that the damascus barrels Bill Graham submitted for his acceptance review was as nicely done as any he had ever seen. That's high praise from where I sit. When Glenn Fewless praises work, you can have confidence that work has passed a critical eye of the highest standard in gunmaking. I've seen Bill Graham's work, and I absolutely agree with Glenn Fewless' assessment.
Posted By: 67galaxie Re: F^%$&# lost resources - 03/18/23 04:38 PM
I agree. I have several he has done over the years.
Originally Posted by NCTarheel
Bill Graham at "Nice Old Doubles" in Durham, NC, was just accepted as a member of the American Custom Gunmakers Guild as a finisher. I just received the latest issue of the ACGG's magazine; and in that magazine, Glenn Fewless states that the damascus barrels Bill Graham submitted for his acceptance review was as nicely done as any he had ever seen. That's high praise from where I sit. When Glenn Fewless praises work, you can have confidence that work has passed a critical eye of the highest standard in gunmaking. I've seen Bill Graham's work, and I absolutely agree with Glenn Fewless' assessment.
Posted By: Bill Graham Re: F^%$&# lost resources - 03/19/23 12:01 AM
Mr. Gorman’s black/white is great from what I’ve seen. Bachelder, Hamlin, and the work of Dale Edmunds before he retired: all really good.

I believe it to be a stylistic pursuit, where we each have our different looks. Personally, I enjoy English browns the most.
Posted By: eeb Re: F^%$&# lost resources - 03/19/23 01:37 PM
Last year at the Southern I shot with a young man from Raleigh who was shooting a 10 gauge LC Smith restored by Mr Graham. The work was superb in every way.
Posted By: spring Re: F^%$&# lost resources - 03/19/23 02:12 PM
Last year I pretty much "challenged" Bill Graham on a tough rebuild. I have had around about all my life an old Ithaca Flues that belonged to my grandfather. It has always been in bad shape and I've never seen it shootable. Would have made a good boat paddle. I mentioned it to Bill after listening to him on a podcast where he discussed his interest in saving old guns. I told him that this might be his biggest challenge and he laughed and doubted that description. After I gave it to him when at the Southern last year, however, he agreed!
He told me that project would take about a year. I haven't heard anything from him over that time but I suspect I'll soon see what kind of magician old Bill is. Should be interesting!

[Linked Image from iili.io]
Posted By: John Roberts Re: F^%$&# lost resources - 03/19/23 02:31 PM
New wood, many dollars.
JR
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: F^%$&# lost resources - 03/19/23 02:37 PM
I don’t have any guns that belonged to my Grandfathers. My maternal Grandfather delivered coal and, later, drove a cab in New York city his entire life. I don’t believe he ever lived outside the city limits, and I am certain he never owned a gun.

Dad was an orphan.

That said, if I did, I might think twice about doing what you are doing!

Best of luck, I hope it remains an heirloom of your family’s forever.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Bill Graham Re: F^%$&# lost resources - 03/19/23 04:50 PM
Originally Posted by spring
He told me that project would take about a year. I haven't heard anything from him over that time but I suspect I'll soon see what kind of magician old Bill is. Should be interesting!
Working on it, but underestimated how long some things would take. Thank you again for the opportunity to help your grandfather’s gun.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com