doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Bob Cash How to...Case Repair - 03/10/23 10:04 PM
I picked up a decent Tolex case.
Any suggestions on how to clean up the scuffs?
Thanks

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: How to...Case Repair - 03/11/23 11:30 AM
I can't remember what Kevin McCormack told me he uses to clean up leather, but I do remember he uses BlackRock Leather 'N' Rich to "feed" the leather after cleaning. It's some good stuff, and I use it now on all my LOM cases, but would likely darken that light colored case somewhat. Maybe he will see this thread and provide and answer for you. Some "Neutral" color paste shoe polish might work well in place of the Leather 'N' Rich to prevent darkening the leather. Good luck.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: How to...Case Repair - 03/11/23 04:33 PM
Only an idiot would tamper with the honest wear on this fine little Tolex case.
JR
Posted By: keith Re: How to...Case Repair - 03/11/23 04:58 PM
Originally Posted by John Roberts
JR

Is there some way I can "Like" John's post more than once???
Posted By: Calgary Bill Re: How to...Case Repair - 03/11/23 07:17 PM
I have used Pecard Leather Dressing for similar projects. It's made in USA and they have a web site and it can be purchased on line.
Bill
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: How to...Case Repair - 03/11/23 11:53 PM
JR
Were I you, I would be less concerned by our differing opinions about honest wear versus carelessness
and more concerned about a guy like keith liking your style and how you communicate and relate to others.
Posted By: Buzz Re: How to...Case Repair - 03/12/23 12:25 AM
Originally Posted by Bob Cash
JR
Were I you, I would be less concerned by our differing opinions about honest wear versus carelessness
and more concerned about a guy like keith liking your style and how you communicate and relate to others.
That is a very nice vintage Tolex case and I would leave it alone too….but, Aha, here comes more incoming and chastising from the DoubleGun junk yard dog, Mr. Bob Cash. Go Bob….Grrrrrr!
Posted By: John Roberts Re: How to...Case Repair - 03/12/23 12:31 AM
Originally Posted by Bob Cash
JR

Yes, you surely would.
JR
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: How to...Case Repair - 03/12/23 02:43 PM
Ol'bOb is just trying to spiff it up so he can turn a buck on it....give him a breAk bOb can't hep it
Posted By: damascus Re: How to...Case Repair - 03/14/23 03:07 PM
Your case is made from modern surface textured and coloured Leather not not Vege tanned leather also it is rather a light colour. One of the most problematical Leathers to remove scuffs and marks from also if you apply any oil based preparations all the places that have had the top coloured finish Leather removed revealing the leather fibres below will darken and stand out. So to cover blemishes in this type of leather will need a little more effort than rubbing on some wonder potion.
Looking at the photographs I feel that it may be the corners that are bothering you, from what I can see the finish has gone and the Leather fibbers are showing, and to fix this you must start by removing the fibbers that are sticking out by cutting them off then smoothing the area with some very fine abrasive paper making the leather smooth again. Now you must repeat the first part of the first treatment that was originally given to the Leather before the colour was applied so you will need to obtain what is in the photograph. It does not have to be that make and for small areas I have found Acrylic varnish will work as a sealer.

You apply this to the damaged Leather surface this will seal the leather to allow you to apply some Acrylic colour matching the rest of the case then polish the case with some clear wax finish. Though a good finishing treatment for light Leather is a mixture of white Bees Wax and Petroleum Jelly. Looking at the stitching it does not look like the traditional Linen thread it could be man made or cotton so rubbing a little Petroleum Jelly into it would be a benefit.
I ask is it worth the effort.
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: How to...Case Repair - 03/14/23 05:10 PM
Perfect, thank you damascus.
You too Bill.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com