doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ed good hunting with hank - 01/27/23 12:06 AM
found this on the net...

very cool...

https://www.google.com/search?q=Hun...u7dXSueb8AhWrjYkEHbjfCLgQv-YBKAV6BAgREAs
Posted By: CJ Dawe Re: hunting with hank - 01/29/23 12:28 PM
Can you watch the actual programs Ed?
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: hunting with hank - 01/29/23 01:27 PM
I watched a couple on You Tube CJ but the two I saw were terribly out of focus. Others may be better. There were quite a few episodes on You Tube.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: hunting with hank - 01/29/23 03:42 PM
Most everything associate with "Bosephus"Hank Jr. tended to be out of focus-wonder why.By chance, do you know who gave Hank Jr, that nickname, and it wasn't his Daddy-?? RWTF
Posted By: AGS Re: hunting with hank - 01/29/23 08:33 PM
I can't really find anywhere the videos are available. Most of these really old shows are literally taped off a TV broadcast, hence the fuzz. Amazon has official DVD's listed but are out of stock and have no idea as to availability. I did see that the made some Podcasts of the originals, but they are a mixture of discussion and film clips I believe.
Posted By: AGS Re: hunting with hank - 01/29/23 08:41 PM
Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
Most everything associate with "Bosephus"Hank Jr. tended to be out of focus-wonder why.By chance, do you know who gave Hank Jr, that nickname, and it wasn't his Daddy-?? RWTF
According to Wikipedia, he was named Randall Hank Williams when born. It states that the nickname Bocephus did come from his father before he died and gave the source. Like a lot of famous people he likely just adopted the Jr for publicity.

We had a local congressman that was in office for around 40 years. His son was appointed to the seat and ran with the old congressman's name, even though he had never used it. Surveys revealed that something like 30-40% of the electorate were not even aware the elder congressman had died and thought that they were still voting for the old man. The new guy didn't last long. He went to prison for a couple of years because he helped institute the House Banking Scandal of the time. THe name subsequently disappeared from politics.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: hunting with hank - 01/29/23 08:45 PM
You may well me correct. I had thought it came from Waylon Jennings- either way, it does have a nice ring to it- like a well played Martin HD-28 in std. E tuning!!RWTF
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: hunting with hank - 01/29/23 09:32 PM
Ah, Gents, somewhere we lost direction to this discussion. We were talking about hunting with Hank, the bird dog of Dez Young and the TV show made from their hunts for upland birds!!
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: hunting with hank - 01/29/23 09:40 PM
Anyway, the name Bocephus was in fact given to Hank Jr. by Hank Sr. and it came from the name of a vetriloquist dummy of a Grand Ole Opry comedian, Rod Brasfield.
Posted By: mc Re: hunting with hank - 01/29/23 11:08 PM
Did he tune to open E or standard orchestra tuning" eadgbe"
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: hunting with hank - 01/29/23 11:27 PM
????
Posted By: DaveB Re: hunting with hank - 01/30/23 03:12 AM
Originally Posted by mc
Did he tune to open E or standard orchestra tuning" eadgbe"

Depends on the song. Sometimes drop D, sometimes C6, but mostly standard.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: hunting with hank - 01/30/23 07:22 PM
Drop D is often used for Blues based songs- Robert Johnson used it a great deal, ditto Elmore James- great slide guitar man, along with Duane Allman.. If you are tuned to EADBGE and you play all 6 strings in sequence, you have a 2 octave span and a E flat natural.. Just as I have way more than one Model 12, I have several acoustic 6 string guitars--Martin, Guild, Taylor and Gibson-- but my "workhorse" for Bluegrass is a vintage Martin HD-35, with fishman pickup. Kinda like a pre-1950 Model 12- 12 gauge 28" mod. solid rib--IMO anyway. RWTF
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: hunting with hank - 02/02/23 10:20 PM
Looking for something else this morning I came across this picture of Dez (with Dash not Hank).
Anyone know or recognize what he's shooting?

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: mc Re: hunting with hank - 02/02/23 10:59 PM
Merkel?
Posted By: LeFusil Re: hunting with hank - 02/02/23 11:00 PM
Looks like a Merkel 147E to me.
Posted By: DaveB Re: hunting with hank - 02/03/23 12:13 AM
Yep, Merkel 147E with SST
Posted By: CJ Dawe Re: hunting with hank - 02/03/23 11:43 AM
Too bad this got off track ,I've been trying for quite some time to get my hands on the DVD collection, have some but not all
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: hunting with hank - 02/03/23 01:24 PM
Do I remember correctly that Dez favored the 20b?
Posted By: tut Re: hunting with hank - 02/03/23 04:11 PM
Originally Posted by FallCreekFan
Do I remember correctly that Dez favored the 20b?

He shot a 20 Merkel. Not sure who the importer was (GSI Perhaps) and they provided him the gun as I recall to use during the show.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: hunting with hank - 02/04/23 12:28 AM
It was a good show.
Dez was a great ambassador for the upland life.
He represented our sport well.

“In the uplands of North America you can always breath free….”

We still sing his song around the house.
Posted By: tut Re: hunting with hank - 02/04/23 10:33 AM
He is still around btw. Posts on facebook fairly often. Mostly about the old show.
Posted By: canvasback Re: hunting with hank - 02/04/23 12:29 PM
For some reason I can no longer remember, I ended up talking on the phone with Dez while he was producing the Hunting with Hank series. No doubt it had something to do with dogs as Hank was a Llewellin from the King kennels and my first Llewellin had ties to King’s dogs as well. I do recall he was a gentleman and a pleasure to speak with. Odd to read Tut’s “those old shows” comment as in someways it seems like just yesterday. Nice memories of that time of life.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com