doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Mike Harrell my xmas present has arrived. - 12/29/22 04:12 AM
My Christmas present, a custom inlayed wall hanging, from the wife, son and daughter arrived 2 days late. It's worth the wait.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: skeettx Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/29/22 05:14 AM
Semper Fidelis

We done, THANK YOU for your service

My Mother was one of these 1943
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:First_group_of_Women_Marine_Officer_Candidates_1943.jpg

Dad retired as a CWO3 in 1955 (Master Sergeant, 2nt Lt, 1st Lt, Master Sergeant, the the Warrants
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/29/22 05:33 AM
… … ._. ._ …. !

Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/29/22 05:36 AM
SSRAH?
Posted By: skeettx Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/29/22 05:38 AM
Sierra Hotel smile
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/29/22 05:50 AM
Originally Posted by Mike Harrell
SSRAH?

Been awhile since i copied code.

Was up to 35 gpm about three lifetimes ago.

- - -

Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/29/22 05:57 AM
I had to learn 12 gpm by stick. My MOS was Non-Morse intercept operator. lol
Posted By: L. Brown Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/29/22 12:08 PM
A present of which any Marine would be proud.
Posted By: ed good Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/29/22 03:56 PM
there is something about that image that makes one come to attention and salute...

display it proudly...

and thank you for keeping us safe during your time of service...
Posted By: lagopus Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/29/22 04:15 PM
Here is the oldest known Royal Marine;

The church of St Bartholomew at Longnor in Staffordshire was rebuilt in the 18th century and stands on foundations at least 800 years old. It has an embattled western tower with pinnacles and contains a Norman font, though on the whole it is a rather grim looking building. Its churchyard contains the grave of a William Billings who following his birth in a cornfield, saw the capture of Gibraltar, suffered wounds at the battle of Ramillies and later saw action against the Stuarts in both 1715 and 1745 and finally expired at a grand old age of 112 years.

My brother is the Vicar there and each year a detachment of Royal Marines visit the grave for a service. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/29/22 04:22 PM
My first duty station was at Edzell Scotland. We did a lot of joint activities with the Royal Marines. I've never met a finer bunch of people.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/29/22 04:39 PM
My first duty station was at Edzell Scotland. We did a lot of joint activities with the Royal Marines.

Getting hammered?

I've never met a finer bunch of people.

They must have been buying.

Posted By: ed good Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/29/22 04:44 PM
an as to the Jacobite risings...

many other clans beside Stuart and including MacAdam, rose up in those efforts to throw off the yoke of british tyranny...

and then there was the rising of 75, where it was confirmed...

"he's no king of mine"
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/29/22 04:53 PM
Originally Posted by ed good
…rose up in the efforts to throw off the yoke of british tyrany...

an then of course, there was bunker hill...

Yer gonna get Stan fired up, ed.

Posted By: ed good Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/29/22 05:25 PM
roads, remember, small people discuss other people...
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/29/22 05:45 PM
Originally Posted by ed good
roads, remember, small people discuss other people...

Right on, ed.

Just sayin’ yer gonna trigger Stan with that talk of yokes, tyranny and Bunker Hill.

Posted By: ed good Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/29/22 06:53 PM
? lets take it private...
Posted By: mc Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/30/22 11:24 AM
Edd just asked lonesome roads out on a date
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/30/22 12:52 PM
Originally Posted by mc
Edd just asked lonesome roads out on a date

ROTFLMAO !!!!!!!
Posted By: ed good Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/30/22 01:57 PM
MC...
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/30/22 01:58 PM

My Dad hated Adak. He said Hawaii was an expensive rock, and Adak was just a rock. You really didn’t want to get him started on Diego Garcia.

Best,
Ted

Posted By: lonesome roads Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/30/22 03:38 PM
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
My Dad hated Adak. He said Hawaii was an expensive rock, and Adak was just a rock. You really didn’t want to get him started on Diego Garcia.

F.cking guy like anywhere he was stationed?

Posted By: mc Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/30/22 04:04 PM
Home with his family no doubt
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/30/22 04:16 PM
Originally Posted by lonesome roads

F.cking guy like anywhere he was stationed?

Puerto Rico, New Orleans, Colorado, Alaska. Didn’t have much good to say about the East Coast.

Guessing you might have loved Diego Garcia.

Best,
Ted

Posted By: lonesome roads Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/30/22 04:30 PM
Puerto Rico, New Orleans, Colorado, Alaska. Didn’t have much good to say about the East Coast.

MOS?

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/30/22 04:55 PM

MOS?

Which decade?

You got 3 to choose from.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/30/22 05:02 PM
Which decade?

All three I guess.

Didn’t care for LeJeune, eh?

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/30/22 05:16 PM
Which decade?

All three I guess.

Didn’t care for LeJeune, eh?

Only number I remember was 1101. His favorite spots aligned with the time he spent recruiting. He instructed marksmanship to reservists with 7th rifle corps at NARTS (naval air rocket test station) prior to that.

Was orphaned at birth in 1929. Came out of boot camp a PFC. I suspect he felt he had something to prove.

Loved his Corps. Wasn’t a drunk.

Best,
Ted

Posted By: lonesome roads Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/30/22 05:30 PM
I was the kid in the backseat of the Olds, moving to a new assignment/duty station.

No wonder you’re so f’ed up.

Pretty interesting career there.

He get over to ‘nam?

Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/31/22 12:43 AM
I was the kid in the backseat of the Olds, moving to a new assignment/duty station.

No wonder you’re so f’ed up.

Pretty interesting career there.

He get over to ‘nam?

Yea, he did, in unusual fashion. Detached with the Coast Guard, prior to the beginning of festivities. The Coasties were sounding the rivers, and started taking fire from the commies. The cutters were unarmed. They tried a mortar on the bow, but, figured out right away that it didn’t work as well as a jarhead with a rifle on each end of the boat. Short deployment, 12 weeks, I think. He didn’t talk about it. Wasn’t supposed to.

Dad really didn’t want his kids in the service. Said he did enough for all of us, and told me to find a job where I wasn’t doing a mental cost/benefit analysis of my career choice, with bullets wizzing past me.

Teamsters kept me out of that.

Best,
Ted

Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/31/22 02:11 AM
My MOS was 2631 in the Corps. I ETSd and after 8 years and no future at home I joined again. They decided not to live up to the contract I signed so I joined the Army for 17 years. 98K MOS in the beginning and finished as a 98U. Stationed in Pensacola a few times, huachuca arizona, Aurora CO, Ft Lewis in the states and Edzell, Augsburg German, and Menwith Hill England twice.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/31/22 10:24 AM
Dad really didn’t want his kids in the service. Said he did enough for all of us, and told me to find a job where I wasn’t doing a mental cost/benefit analysis of my career choice, with bullets wizzing past me.

Would have been ironic, don’t you think, if just after taking a long pull off your bottle of High Ten (you keep it in the glove box or under the seat?) on your way to your Teamster job a Molotov cocktail came winging through the window of the Olds during the riots in that bunghole town you live in.

And you get a government pension just like pops. Win win!

Posted By: GLS Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/31/22 12:16 PM
My MOS was 2631 in the Corps. I ETSd and after 8 years and no future at home I joined again. They decided not to live up to the contract I signed so I joined the Army for 17 years. 98K MOS in the beginning and finished as a 98U. Stationed in Pensacola a few times, huachuca arizona, Aurora CO, Ft Lewis in the states and Edzell, Augsburg German, and Menwith Hill England twice.

Mike, Johnny Cash in 1953 was a USAF staff sergeant with a similar MOS to yours. He spent his duty in postwar Germany monitoring the Soviet's CW transmission and was the first American to learn of Stalin's death after listening to code transmissions throughout the night concerning his health and ultimately his death. You and LR obviously reached the skill level of hearing words rather than individual letters in CW. I never got beyond 20 wpm listening and at about the same speed sending (with a readable fist) with a straight key. I keep my head in the game by occasionally "sending" in my head roadside signs, etc., and have small QRP battery powered transceiver (Elecraft KX1) hooked to a random wire and counterpoise and monitor 40 meters. A lot of 35 wpm CW is sent on a computer keyboard and decoded on a computer and fewer and fewer ops use keys or bugs to send. Gil
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/31/22 04:12 PM

Would have been ironic, don’t you think, if just after taking a long pull off your bottle of High Ten (you keep it in the glove box or under the seat?) on your way to your Teamster job a Molotov cocktail came winging through the window of the Olds during the riots in that bunghole town you live in.

Like most things, you’ve got it backwards. The commies run the university, the unions are just happy to be there. Teamsters are out of my little corner of it, January 1st. Just be the GCC at that point. The Olds doesn’t go to work, and various people right here will tell you I haven’t touched hard stuff in 40 bird seasons.

Hey, you get a government pension, me too. People in glass houses...

The irony is Dad saw what was happening to his Corps 50 years ago, and suggested there were better alternatives for his own kids, and still loved his Corps. Said he wouldn’t change a thing, except, maybe moving further west, but, he had job offers right near the area he grew up in. When he became a reservist in 1969, he picked up a job at the State, that he worked for 21 years. Triple dipper, State, Federal a SSI pensions, should get your blood pressure up just thinking about it. My mom was the real winner, it was easy to find lifers in my Dad’s circle who hadn’t given a minutes thought to the future, who checked out one day, and left momma with nothing. Surviving spouse benefits were a big deal to Dad.

Opportunities are were you find ‘em. The orphan did OK.

Best,
Ted

Posted By: lonesome roads Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/31/22 07:53 PM
Like most things, you’ve got it backwards. The commies run the university, the unions are just happy to be there. Teamsters are out of my little corner of it, January 1st. Just be the GCC at that point. The Olds doesn’t go to work, and various people right here will tell you I haven’t touched hard stuff in 40 bird seasons.

Hey, you get a government pension, me too. People in glass houses...

The irony is Dad saw what was happening to his Corps 50 years ago, and suggested there were better alternatives for his own kids, and still loved his Corps. Said he wouldn’t change a thing, except, maybe moving further west, but, he had job offers right near the area he grew up in. When he became a reservist in 1969, he picked up a job at the State, that he worked for 21 years. Triple dipper, State, Federal a SSI pensions, should get your blood pressure up just thinking about it. My mom was the real winner, it was easy to find lifers in my Dad’s circle who hadn’t given a minutes thought to the future, who checked out one day, and left momma with nothing. Surviving spouse benefits were a big deal to Dad.

Opportunities are were you find ‘em. The orphan did OK.

Best,
Ted

I think I know why King ignored you.

Yer a f.cking idiot.

ps: orphan did ok? you mean knew how to milk the system. not judging. just sayin’. (credit to Stan for “just sayin’)

pss: are you ready for some football?!
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/31/22 08:19 PM
King didn’t ignore me. He didn’t ignore anybody.

You were just enough of an idiot to milk the same system, apparently. Just sayin’.

Football is for idiots. I get it, you are ready. If I owned an RBL, I’d be ready to watch football, too, I suppose.

Best,
Ted

__________________________________________________________________________________
Been an excellent year for pheasant hunting. The Vikings are keeping the idiots out of the field.
Posted By: Mike Harrell Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/31/22 08:44 PM
Hey Lonesome and Ted, if you two have a bone to pick with each other please do it somewhere else. You two are dragging this off on a personal tangent. Please don't do it on my posts.
Posted By: lonesome roads Re: my xmas present has arrived. - 12/31/22 09:47 PM
Hey Lonesome and Ted, if you two have a bone to pick with each other please do it somewhere else. You two are dragging this off on a personal tangent. Please don't do it on my posts.

Sorry.

Michigan getting smoked.