doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: eeb Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/08/22 11:47 PM
I read Shooting Sportsman, which I consider by and large an advertisement with mediocre content. I used to read Greys but I don’t consider that much of a gun magazine. Any suggestions? Any Brit magazines worthy of subscription?
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/09/22 12:32 AM
I just cancelled my subscription to Shooting Sportsman because of the lack of content I'm interested in. The articles were even advertisements. Diggory Hadoke puts out a few monthly articles on vintage guns in digital form. VG Journal. He hasn't put anything out this month probably because he's busy shooting.

Ken
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/09/22 01:19 AM
Shooting Sportsman was much better when Galen Winter and Michael McIntosh were alive. I noticed that the articles seemed to devolve into ads for canned hunts after they were both gone. Even if I could afford to do that sh1t, I wouldn’t. Not my cup of tea.

I like looking at the English articles, above, but, they don’t hold my interest like a magazine in my hand does.

The decline continues. Joe’s Sporting goods, in St. Paul is swimming in guns in the used department, that have pretty much been dumped there by the family of elderly bird hunters and shooters.

They literally can’t display it all.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/09/22 01:24 AM
I subscibe to the British publication "The Field" it covers several sporting subjects and always includes a British gun artilcle or two. It seems to focus on driven shooting events. Another well turned out but pretty much an advertising magazine is "Covey Rise" includes articles on guns, dogs, as well as canned hunt ads. (articles) "Project Upland" magazine is a nicely turned out quaterly magazine with main focus on upland hunting but includes gun articles as well.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/09/22 03:59 AM
I read Shooting Sportsman, which I consider by and large an advertisement with mediocre content.

Amen!!
Posted By: HistoricBore Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/09/22 09:12 AM
Here in England I read The Field, which is very glossy and covers fishing and foxhunting as well. The newish lady Editor is a horsey person but there are still good articles and gun tests.

I also subscribe the the USA version of Shooting Times. Not too much about shotguns, but useful articles about older firearms. Terry Weiland is good.

HB
Posted By: lagopus Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/09/22 10:18 AM
I'll put a word in for 'The Field' magazine. Monthly and with a broad spectrum of articles. Donald Dallas contributes an interesting piece quite often. I don't subscribe to any other shooting/gun magazines in England but will sometimes pick up an odd copy of something if there is something of interest. Lagopus.....
Posted By: eeb Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/09/22 12:18 PM
I’ve seen the Field and I like it. The in-laws never know what to get me for Christmas so I’ll put that on the list. I’ve been hopeful that the editors at Shooting Sportsman will gather in the contributors from DGJ. Great opportunity to improve that magazine. Thanks for the suggestion.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/09/22 01:23 PM
I cancelled Shooting Sportsman last year after being a charter subscriber of that magazine and its predecessors. A friend gave me a lifetime supply of The Field, so I don't have to subscribe. I also cancelled American Rifleman, so I no longer wait at the mailbox for any print items.
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/09/22 03:12 PM
Just go back and start reading DGJ over again, one a month will last you about 12 years, then you can start over....
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/09/22 03:24 PM
It's all passe'. There's nothing left to write about or introduce that hasn't already been done 100 times. Of course, there's always minutiae to discuss among us hardcore enthusiasts, such as the ridiculously long thread here on E. M. Reilly guns awhile back, on this and other online boards, but otherwise it's all about run its course.
JR
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/09/22 03:54 PM
Years ago, when Sporting Classics started, they had an offer for a lifetime subscription. It has only a few articles on double guns, but I am always amazed at the fine color illustrations throughout the magazine.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/09/22 05:18 PM
Ted:

What sort of gun are predominating at Joe's Sporting Goods? Pumps? autoloaders? doubles? I'm assuming the vast majority are 12 bore. That hasn't seemed to have happened here quite yet. There are good selections of used guns here if you look for them, but most are very pedestrian. Nicer stuff simply isn't for sale in the big boxes or the smaller gunshops that I know about. Folks still seem to be hanging on to the more well-made stuff.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/09/22 06:24 PM
I'm re-reading books, and reading a new one for the first time ..... The Bullet's Flight by Mann. Fascinating.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/09/22 06:37 PM
Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Ted:

What sort of gun are predominating at Joe's Sporting Goods? Pumps? autoloaders? doubles? I'm assuming the vast majority are 12 bore. That hasn't seemed to have happened here quite yet. There are good selections of used guns here if you look for them, but most are very pedestrian. Nicer stuff simply isn't for sale in the big boxes or the smaller gunshops that I know about. Folks still seem to be hanging on to the more well-made stuff.

You want a 12 gauge A5 or a model 12 in the same gauge, you might have a dozen of each to choose from. Plenty of 1100s, too.

The metro area here is not really a gun snob zone. Working mans stuff. to a very large degree.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Mills Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/09/22 07:26 PM
The early Shooting Sportsmans were great. I loved how they had sections devoted to upland hunting, waterfowl hunting, etc.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/10/22 12:41 AM
Ted:

Glad to hear it. Sounds like it's still safe to be a gun snob.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/10/22 01:23 AM
Originally Posted by Lloyd3
Ted:

Glad to hear it. Sounds like it's still safe to be a gun snob.

I shoulda’ mentioned at least half of them will have a rock hard, white line pad of some sort, and a vented Cutts or a Poly Choke.

They’ll be there next time you drive through. Probably the next time after that, too.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/10/22 01:10 PM
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Shooting Sportsman was much better when Galen Winter and Michael McIntosh were alive. I noticed that the articles seemed to devolve into ads for canned hunts after they were both gone. Even if I could afford to do that sh1t, I wouldn’t. Not my cup of tea.

I like looking at the English articles, above, but, they don’t hold my interest like a magazine in my hand does.

The decline continues. Joe’s Sporting goods, in St. Paul is swimming in guns in the used department, that have pretty much been dumped there by the family of elderly bird hunters and shooters.

They literally can’t display it all.

Best,
Ted

Sounds like a good place to shop for a shotgun.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/10/22 04:45 PM
I continue to subscribe to Shooting Sportsman as it helps me keep up with the trends of shooting in America. I noticed several years ago that the magazine and its chief editor were focusing upon what younger shooters were doing and their choice of guns for whatever shooting that they are doing. From a business perspective that probably is prudent for Shooting Sportsman. I will also keep subscribing to their magazine as it still keeps me informed although the content is not focused upon things that interest the technical minded shooters---which is what I enjoy reading.

What is wrong at Shooting Sportsman and why are they loosing subscribers? One problem is technical content, and another is a "star" writer who produces monthly articles of significant interest each issue that the subscribers await eagerly.

America does not have a Michael McIntosh now and that absence still is discussed throughout the entire spectrum of shooters of classic shotguns and is demonstrated in the "black holes" of content in publications that these shooters read. That said, the influence of Diggory Hadoke in the shooting press of the UK has grown over the last 10 years and at the same time Hadoke's knowledge and writing skills about classic shotguns has gotten better substantially. I see no other writer in America that is forming in the background to be another McIntosh or a Hadoke. The younger shooters that Shooting Sportsman magazine wants to attract do not know who McIntosh was, but such a writer would have similar strong influence on them as McIntosh did on his generation of readers; and importantly for Shooting Sportsman produce additional revenue.

The majority of shooters are interested in learning more about the technical issues of the guns they like and it seems to me that Shooting Sportsman Senior Editor Vic Venters has more gun technical knowledge than did McIntosh and I think you can see that demostrated as McIntosh relied on his Purdey trained "stocker" British friend and colleague from his workshop in Maine to fill in all the areas that McIntosh needed technical reinforcement---this was a superb duo of writing talent and gun making skills.

Years ago when Michael McIntosh exited the role he had of writing about guns each month at Shooting Sportsman, a void was never filled by the subsequent writers who attempted to take up the baton and run with it. That void has not been filled even today after all these years. From time to time an article will appear about some task at gunmaking that is written by a gunsmith; and although the content is interesting these article do not go into the details of the particular task the way that David Trevallian would show us and tell us in the words written by his colleague Michael McIntosh. You will remember that the articles that McIntosh and Trevallian jointly produced were combined into the outstanding book 'Shotgun Technicana" of gun work on classic shotguns----- the price of buying a copy of it shows it worth today.

I just do not see that Shooting Sportsman magazine has a vision of what it want to be in the market place and for what that matters a vision of what the market place is or is going to be. To my mind and way of thinking it seems to me that the influence of Senior Editor Vic Venters is needed more at Shooting Sportsman if it is going to survive and more importantly thrive.

If you need to understand more of the knowledge and skills of Vic Venters purchase his two books and you will understand.
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/10/22 04:58 PM
Magazines are advertising revenue driven.
The advertisers in the mag are trying to sell to the readers of the mag.

It must work.

I doubt very many here spend much at the destination facilities the magazine represents.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/10/22 05:32 PM
A thoughtful and cogent comment Mr. Bushveld. I believe David Trevallion had "Shotgun Technicana" reprinted last year. I think he had 300 copies made. Some may still be available. A "new" one is available on Amazon. In virtually every conversation David mentions Michael McIntosh. Vic Venters is living near Wilmington, N.C. He's been devoting a lot of some to his business there but said he is gradually getting back into writing.
Posted By: Mills Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/10/22 07:21 PM
It would be great if Shooting Sportsman would add one vintage gun article per issue. Just one good article per issue would make it worth a subscription for me.

What turns me off is when you read an article and it is obviously disguised advertising for a lodge, new gun, etc. Pretty much all the outdoor magazines are guilty of this practice
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/10/22 07:39 PM
I think that the addition of Del Whitman's articles are worthwhile to me. Hopefully, there will be the addition of others.
Karl
Posted By: Dave Weber Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/11/22 05:57 PM
Regarding Shotgun Technicana and the Amazon thing….Sole source unsure of what they are offering buyer beware.

From a long time advertiser and generally great lady:

Hi, Dave:

I thought I would let you know about his post.

Argo44 posted info. regarding David Trevallion's Shotgun Technicana book which is incorrect. David commissioned me to sell all copies of the reprint for him. Since the books were printed in Michigan, David had me pick up the complete run of books so I have all copies that were printed. Argo44 mentioned "New" copies of the reprint are available on Amazon $139.99. There is a seller stating they are selling "new" copies - I don't know what they are selling. They have not purchased any copies of the reprint from me as the books are not being sold to other book dealers. The price of the reprint is $90.00 plus shipping.

Thank for you help.

Carol

Carol Barnes
Gunnerman Books

So caveat emptor on securing a copy from other than the sole source.

Thank you,
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/11/22 09:49 PM
Every issue of Shooting Sportsman feels like the article are all paid product placement. Most likely because many or most are. Glossy pictures with powder puff articles get old fast with me.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/11/22 10:07 PM
Originally Posted by KY Jon
Every issue of Shooting Sportsman feels like the article are all paid product placement. Most likely because many or most are. Glossy pictures with powder puff articles get old fast with me.

Me too. IMHO the rag is trash now. I’ve got loads of old SSM’s from the late 80’s thru the 90’s and beyond, those old articles/stories were written by nobody’s…and they’re 100X better than the crap they put out now, even enjoy the pics more in the old issues. I can’t stand the “bougie” rags like Greys, Covey Rise, etc. all fluff and the articles seem to be written by the same goofs that write descriptions of wine tastings.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/12/22 12:08 AM
Thanks David. I was recalling a conversation with David Trevallion from last spring. At least I got some details right.
Posted By: Hal Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/12/22 06:34 PM
Like paper money, magazines and newspapers are nearing obsolescence. I would not mind a reasonable paywall for subscriptions to this Bulletin Board. Just a thought, but I could see it split into categories based on interests of those who collect, shoot, or hunt with double and single shot guns like DGJ appealed to. Maybe something like:

1. Collectibles and History
2. Hunting and Shooting
3. Ballistics and Loads
4. Gunsmithing and Repairing

I realize everyone here already has access to the wealth of information here on all these topics, so perhaps Dave could go back and select the longest or most informative threads in each category and place them there. The system might even reduce junk threads on cooking, politics, autoloaders, pumpguns, game laws, etc. that belong elsewhere.
Posted By: eeb Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/12/22 09:38 PM
About 10 or so years ago John Campbell started an e-magazine that was quite good, but it only lasted a short while. The business model was ahead of its time, but it could probably be viable today. He used to post on this board but I disremember his handle. He focused mostly on English guns of interest, DIY gun smithing etc
Posted By: campero Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/12/22 09:53 PM
Dave, I wrote you two e-mails without any reply. Please, can you tell me somethig about that.
Posted By: Mills Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/12/22 10:36 PM
The best sporting destinations rely upon repeat business built up over many years. I remember a flashy place that advertised “since 1840” or whenever the land was first granted, but the place had just opened as a hunting preserve. After a year, it and the ads were both gone
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/12/22 10:49 PM
Ed: John Campbell posts on the PGCA site as Kensal Rise.
The e-magazine was Double Gun Classics, the first issue back in Sept-Oct 2007. Something terrible happened with the outfit who were to host the site and the effort collapsed after only a few issues, much to his frustration our disappointment. For a time, print copies were available from Cornell Publications.
He continued to publish regularly in DGJ thereafter.
Posted By: eeb Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/13/22 12:36 AM
Thanks Drew. I was able to print all of his issues and put them in binders. He is another worthwhile writer who needs a platform. Ed
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/13/22 04:14 PM
Originally Posted by Drew Hause
Ed: John Campbell posts on the PGCA site as Kensal Rise.
The e-magazine was Double Gun Classics, the first issue back in Sept-Oct 2007. Something terrible happened with the outfit who were to host the site and the effort collapsed after only a few issues, much to his frustration our disappointment. For a time, print copies were available from Cornell Publications.
He continued to publish regularly in DGJ thereafter.

Drew,

I saved .pdf's of DGC, I have 12 issues running from July-August 2005 to May-June 2007, not sure if that's all of them.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Now That the DGJ is No More…. - 11/27/22 02:38 PM
DGC print copies are still available. Scroll down about 2/3
https://cornellpubs.com/product-tag/d/
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com