doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: GMCS chamber inserts - 10/24/22 02:56 PM
Can someone recommend a 10 to 12 GA chamber insert that works and is available thanks Al p
Posted By: skeettx Re: chamber inserts - 10/24/22 03:47 PM
Works is a special word,

https://www.littleskeeters.com/products/guages/

Chatted with them this morning and the 10-12 adapters are in stock

Little Skeeters, LLC
633 Commerce Street
Thornwood, NY 10594
Phone - 914-769-5506

p.s.

https://www.littleskeeters.com/shop/
Posted By: KY Jon Re: chamber inserts - 10/25/22 03:37 AM
I have used the 16/20 ga version with good luck. I bought four to speed things up as reloading them can be a bit slower than you expect. With four I can shoot any station at Skeet without holding people up. Just never miss because you need five then and I only have four.
Posted By: Chantry Re: chamber inserts - 10/25/22 02:43 PM
How do the chamber inserts affect pressure?
Posted By: Vol423 Re: chamber inserts - 10/25/22 03:49 PM
I have a set of chamber mates in 12/28 ga. They will work with ejectors guns and stay in place. They use rubber 0 rings or Teflon tape to hold them in the gun. I don't think they are in business any more.
Posted By: sxsman1 Re: chamber inserts - 10/25/22 04:01 PM
I used the 16/20 gauge version once, I shot the first station at station one with a Merkel 16 gauge sxs, and that was the last time I used them. The 20 gauge shells were stuck in the little skeeters never to come out again.
Pete
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: chamber inserts - 10/25/22 04:18 PM
Chantry: Sherman Bell's report for Gauge Mate in 2006

In the 16-gauge gun with 28-gauge Gold adapter:

A Remington 28-gauge STS factory load of 3/4 ounces of #8 lead shot, gave a velocity of 1215 ft/second and developed a pressure of 5100 psi at the front of the forcing cone.

A Winchester 28-gauge AA factory load, also with 3/4 ounces of #8 shot, gave a velocity of 1252 ft/second and developed a pressure of 5800 psi.

A 28-gauge handload in the STS hulls used the following components: W 209 primer, 13.5 grains of Universal Clays powder, Remington PT28 wad and 3/4ounce of #8 lead shot. The hull was closed with a six-point fold crimp. This load gave a velocity of 1158 ft/second and developed a pressure of 4900 psi.

In the 12-gauge gun with 20-gauge adapters:

A Winchester 20-gauge A-A Sporting Clays factory load of 7/8 ounces of #7 1/2 lead shot, fired in a Silver adapter, gave a velocity of 1319 ft/second and developed a pressure of 7700 psi. The same 20-gauge load fired in a Go1d adapter gave a velocity of 1324 ft/second and developed a pressure of 7800 psi. With all 0-rings removed from the Gold adapter, per your request, the velocity was 1302 ft/second and the pressure was 7900 psi.

In the 12-gauge gun with 28-gauge adapters:

A Winchester 28-gauge A-A factory target load of 3/4 ounces of #8 lead shot, fired in a Silver adapter gave a velocity of 1247 ft/second and developed a pressure of 8300 psi. The same 28-gauge load fired in a Gold adapter gave a velocity of 1285 ft/second and developed a pressure of 8400 psi. With no 0-rings in place on the Gold adapter the velocity was 1255 ft/second and the pressure was 8100 psi.

A different lot of the same Winchester 28-gauge A-A factory target load was fired with Gold adapters. The velocity was 1318 A/second and the pressure was 8200 psi. With 0-rings removed the velocity was 1297 ft/second and the pressure was 7700 psi.
The variation in measured pressure and velocity produced by changing from the Silver to the Gold adapters is of no ballistic significance and no more than the variation one can expect between various lots of the same ammunition.

All the tests indicate very good performance of the sub-gauge ammunition fired in Gauge-Mate adapters.

I tried 12-20 and 20-.410. Worked OK but messy and tiresome when target shooting.
Posted By: Replacement Re: chamber inserts - 10/26/22 02:11 AM
I hunt with ChamberMates 12/20 with black powder in a hammer gun, and they work just fine. The only problem has been getting the ChamberMates out of the gun for cleaning, because I didn't have the ChamberMates removal tool. Took lots of fiddling with rods and cleaning gizmos.

I have Lil Skeeters in 16/28 but have not used them yet. They are for those times when I can't find 16ga ammo.
Posted By: AGS Re: chamber inserts - 10/26/22 03:10 AM
I have quite a few Lil Skeeters and they work fine. They would be ideal to shoot normal sub gauge ammo in a short chambered old guns. If you look at Sherman Bell's data, they basically are about 1/2 dram less performance (if that makes sense) with black powder pressures. The drawback is that they are 2-3/4 " profiled for the the parrent chamber. The instructions do state that they are for standard loads, not high velocity loadings. If you stick to standard and light trap loads and skeet loads, I have never had a sticking problem.

Their was a brand sold on eBay for a while last year that were around the same price and made from stainless. They worked very well and seemed to hanled HV loads well. Don't remember their name and haven't seen them for a while.
Posted By: eightbore Re: chamber inserts - 10/26/22 04:34 PM
Are those Little Skeeters made of plastic? What exactly are they made of? The website says "Nothing".
Posted By: skeettx Re: chamber inserts - 10/27/22 12:43 AM
Let your fingers do the walking, call them

https://www.littleskeeters.com/skeeters-history/

Thus began the quest for a material that would resist distortion and provide a tube that would function at a level that would make it practical for everyday use. I then turned to a friend, Leonard Vallender, President of FenBar Precision Machinists, Inc., a superb precision machinist and engineer who as a shooter was very interested in the potential of the product – although having doubts about the concept. Soon after machining the tubes in aluminum and test firing them, he was as convinced as I was that the patterns were on the money but that the distortion of the tubes and bulging of the ammunition was a concern.

After months of trial and error, we came upon the right combination of materials, size tolerances and internal and external dimensions that would be universally acceptable to all guns – knowing that chamber size varied from gun to gun. We have theorized that as the shot column enters the larger diameter bore, the shot column shortens so that when the shot column exits the barrel very few pellets pass from the rear of the column causing less disturbance or turbulence. Our patterns displayed no flyers, which attest to our theory.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: chamber inserts - 10/27/22 01:10 AM
That's very interesting. Thanks so much for the link.
Posted By: LGF Re: chamber inserts - 10/28/22 01:41 AM
Do the Little Skeeters split the hull like silver Gaugemates, or otherwise damage them?
Posted By: skeettx Re: chamber inserts - 10/28/22 04:20 AM
No damage to hulls

Let your fingers do the walking

Call them

https://www.littleskeeters.com/

Posted By: keith Re: chamber inserts - 10/28/22 01:53 PM
I can understand why someone might wish to have subguage inserts to shoot 12 ga. shells in a short 10. The 2 7/8" 10 ga. factory loaded shells are always costly and not always readily available. But I think a better solution there is to simply reload 10 ga. shells.

For all other gauges, if I wish to shoot a smaller gauge shell, I will just grab a different gun. The subguage inserts have always sounded like they are more trouble than they're worth, especially to shoot a typically more expensive shell such as a 16, 28, or .410
Posted By: HomelessjOe Re: chamber inserts - 10/29/22 02:23 PM
You can knock a vintage gun off face using them.
Posted By: Lucky1 Re: chamber inserts - 10/30/22 12:01 AM
I have had excellent performance from Chambermates in every gauge. I never jumped over one gauge reduction. Any bigger drop & patterns suffered. Wish I kept all of them back, only have 12 to 20 left.
Posted By: Replacement Re: chamber inserts - 10/30/22 05:34 AM
There are also the Briley Side-Kick subgauge chamber sets.

https://www.briley.com/c-467-side-kick-chamber-tube-sets.aspx
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com