doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Shotgunjones NSI 688 primer review - 09/22/22 09:30 PM
I had a chance to buy a 10K pack of Nobel Sport Italia #688 primers recently.

My concern was that they would pierce like Cheddite, and/or fail to properly ignite Titewad like Fiocchi 616.

I'm happy to report that they do neither. Note this is the 688, not the 686 which I have not tried and likely will never try.

These have been tried in several guns including a CXS Citori with a J&P mainspring and firing pin kit installed. That gun has a 100% pierce rate with Cheddite, 20% with Fiocchi, and 0% with W209. The NSI 688 is also 0%.

As far as loads, you're on your own like I am. I simply swap for W209 in loads that are advertised at or below 10K PSI. This is not a recommendation, just a statement of what I consider safe in my MODERN TARGET GUNS.

I intend to support this vendor and encourage him to keep bringing in NSI products. I also bought several flats of their trap loads and they are of high quality and squeaky clean burning.
Posted By: eeb Re: NSI 688 primer review - 09/22/22 09:49 PM
I have never had an issue with pierced Cheddite primers but others have. I’ve always thought it’s because of firing pin length. Do the Nobel primers stretch the primer pocket?
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: NSI 688 primer review - 09/22/22 09:56 PM
They do, much like a Fio 616.

No matter to me, they load fine and I dedicate a batch of hulls to this primer.

The Cheddite piercing problem as far as I'm concerned is because of a too thin cap cover.

The W209 does not do this.

I will say this... the Cheddite primer is a very sensitive primer. I set one off in a MEC 650.

If you have an old gun with a tired mainspring, they might be just the thing.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: NSI 688 primer review - 09/22/22 11:40 PM
Been loading Cheddite primers for over 10 years. Never a pierced one, in several modern and vintage guns.

Mine are all salvaged out of scrapped Cheddite hulls I acquired. May or may not be the same as those one would buy for reloading.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: NSI 688 primer review - 09/23/22 12:37 AM
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
Been loading Cheddite primers for over 10 years. Never a pierced one, in several modern and vintage guns.

Mine are all salvaged out of scrapped Cheddite hulls I acquired. May or may not be the same as those one would buy for reloading.

That could very well be Stan.

The 'white box' Estate shells of a few years back were loaded in France by Cheddite.

They did not pierce. Their component primer seems different than the ones in their loaded shells.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: NSI 688 primer review - 09/23/22 01:04 AM
I was given a big cardboard box containing thousands of new Kent hulls that had been pulled from the assembly line during, or after, the loading process. They all had been cut open to salvage the shot. All had new primers which I salvaged. Somehow, they had been sent to a range owner I knew, during a delivery of clay targets.
Posted By: dukxdog Re: NSI 688 primer review - 09/23/22 01:20 AM
I've shot 10's of thousands (over 100,000) NSI 209-688 primers. Never had a pierced primer as mentioned. I've been 100% happy with them.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: NSI 688 primer review - 09/23/22 02:48 PM
Originally Posted by dukxdog
I've shot 10's of thousands (over 100,000) NSI 209-688 primers. Never had a pierced primer as mentioned. I've been 100% happy with them.

Thanks for the good report. That's a lot of shooting!

Opinions vary on these, but so far I've been pleased.

The 1,000 count trays are a bit of a nuisance, all I can figure is that these are packaged for commercial loading machines. Following a u-toob video I made a block with a refrigerator magnet on it and solved that problem. Now, I just wish I'd saved a few more empty primer trays.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: NSI 688 primer review - 09/24/22 10:15 AM
I've shot thousands of Cheddite primers in dozens of guns (all doubles, mostly sxs. Some modern, some vintage.) Can't recall a single pierced primer.
The best thing about them now is that they're relatively available. And the price has come down recently. Still a long ways from the days of $25 or so per brick. But realistically, I doubt we'll ever see that again.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: NSI 688 primer review - 05/12/23 02:20 PM
Update: I loaded the NSI 688 in 20ga AA shells for a K-20 that has cratered firing pins.

This gun pierces every brand primer except W209. I'm running out of W209, and the gun is not going in for new pins until I can't find primers it won't pierce.

A rant about Krieghoff firing pins is not germane to this post... other than to say they can't make a firing pin to save their arsch.

The NSI primers do not pierce in said krautgun.

W209 is now $92/brick when they can be found. NSI is about 4.5 cents a cap, which while still absurd can be considered a bargain today.

I fully support this product and Winchester can kiss my shiny nickel plated floorplate.
Posted By: tanky Re: NSI 688 primer review - 05/15/23 03:31 AM
My buddy had an A5 that would only double with Cheddites. He also told me they would be a good primer for a gun with a weak mainsprings. I kind of shrugged it off since I used W209's exclusively at that time. Some years later I bought some Cheddites because they were so cheap. I had one go off in my Ponsness Warren. No other primer ever did that in that machine. I was getting some minor piercings in various guns. Just a little black smudge in the primer dimple. Then one day half way around the sporting clay course I heard a simultaneous bang pop and saw something fall to the ground to my right. It was the right side of my RBL stock made the pop when the pierced primer dumped enough gas in the box lock action to push that side of the stock out. I swore off Cheddites at that time but If things get desperate I'll go back to them and break out the Rem 1100. They are available in quantity, something that can't be said of other American brands. Never had a problem with Fiocchi primers. Thankfully they are building a new primer plant in Arkansaw and should come online in about a year. That should help greatly with the primer shortage. Fiocchi primers are lead-free. I also read that federal developed a new lead-free primer based off of nitro cellulose. Wonder what effects they will have on load data especially in rifle!
Posted By: geco Re: NSI 688 primer review - 05/15/23 01:31 PM
Here is a link to a NSI chart with shotgun loading data including PSI. 12 gauge only from 7/8 to 1 1/2 oz of shot.
Posted By: GLS Re: NSI 688 primer review - 05/15/23 01:32 PM
Where's the link?? Gil
Posted By: geco Re: NSI 688 primer review - 05/15/23 01:41 PM
Sorry GLS I had brain fade:
https://www.dkgtrading.com/_files/ugd/b94571_041360ce3c024982b1864914934706f6.pdf
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com