doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gil russell Fitting New Hammers to a Hammer Gun - 09/21/22 07:59 PM
I'm restoring a British Hammer gun (from about 1900) and am not clear on fitting the new hammers to the gun. One of the old ones was fitted pretty well, the other was a terrible replacement so I might be able to use the good one as a pattern (for lack of a better term) for the new ones. I understand the need to get the throw and timing correct but beyond that it's something of a mystery. Any help would be most appreciated. thanks, Gil
Gil,

I have 4 pairs of English hammers. 2 pairs are plain. One pair has some engraving. The last pair is attached to a very pretty G.E. Lewis set of back action locks. I'd hate to orphan the hammers from the locks, but, they need a gun to go with. The parts came from the UK from unserviceable guns that were destroyed. None of them are early "shrouded" hammers.

Can you post a photo of your good hammer?

Joe in Charlotte
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Fitting New Hammers to a Hammer Gun - 09/21/22 09:09 PM
I have found donor hammers off eBay. Best is to get a set of take off pairs. You can find new ones which have no hole for
The tumbler axle bored and require a lot of fitting. As you may know they have a square taper hole not a straight hole. At least the ones I have fit. There was a square tapered anvil that was used to finish the square taper. And I’ve only heard about them and do not have one to loan. I have thought about buying hammers and locks from Holts but know I’d mostly collect more junk and never use them. Good luck in you quest. Do you know what sizes you need? I have about 30 to look over to see if there is a decent match.
Posted By: ed good Re: Fitting New Hammers to a Hammer Gun - 09/22/22 05:31 PM
then you have the heat treatment issue...hammers need to be anealled for bending and filing, aka fitting...and then there is hardening and drawing...all can be accomplished with a torch, distilled water and used motor oil...or if after fitting send erm off fur heat treating...or call dixon's gun shop in kempton, pa...they can do the whole job...perhaps including a pair of appropriate hammers...
Posted By: LGF Re: Fitting New Hammers to a Hammer Gun - 09/22/22 09:20 PM
Blackley & Son https://www.blackleyandson.com/ <mail@blackleyandson.com> in the UK have a large selection of hammers. You might send them a photo of your good one and see if they have something similar.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com