doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tamid My New Ride - 09/03/22 03:11 PM
I hunt on a grazing lease that is many tens of thousands acres large. There is one road in and you can not drive off it nor can I use an ATV due to the potential for fires. There is no camping either. Its impossible to walk in and out in a day. So its pedal power. Using my C. Hellis for the day.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: My New Ride - 09/03/22 03:17 PM
Originally Posted by Tamid
I hunt on a grazing lease that is many tens of thousands acres large. There is one road in and you can not drive off it nor can I use an ATV due to the potential for fires. There is no camping either. Its impossible to walk in and out in a day. So its pedal power. Using my C. Hellis for the day.

Fantastic. And a REAL bike no less. Sounds like a great place to hunt. What kind of birds?
Posted By: canvasback Re: My New Ride - 09/03/22 03:28 PM
My friend GLS from Georgia and on this site regularly uses a bike when he is turkey hunting. He'll probably chime in when he sees this.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: My New Ride - 09/03/22 03:41 PM
Read the title and thought you had a new girlfriend.

Anyway, be careful. We have a non E fat tire bike, and the kid has taken a few nasty spills on it, when he used it instead of the 29er for mountain bike team practice.

Nothing hurt save his pride, but, he is a kid. I would have been killed.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: My New Ride - 09/03/22 04:17 PM
These seem comfortable
They are E-bikes

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: liverwort Re: My New Ride - 09/03/22 04:20 PM
I think it is old age because I look at that bike and think that would be the ticket, but not for me. I saw a girl about 13 years of age cruising down a long street on one of those electric scooters. She was going pretty fast in her summer hot weather attire and Immediately I thought how scraped up she'd be if she fell. Damascus shotgun and an electric bicycle, who would have ever thought!
Posted By: Ken Nelson Re: My New Ride - 09/03/22 04:59 PM

Don’t pull a President Brandon…
Posted By: Tamid Re: My New Ride - 09/04/22 04:43 AM
The area is slightly rolling, very dry, full of sage and chokecherries, sandy floor and pockets of sharptail and huns. No pheasants. Dugouts where they exist are full of ducks. E-bikes are the rage in the cities and I expect as they get more powerful we'll start seeing more beefed up ATV/motorbike style run on electricity. Not sure if that will be a good thing or bad. Fortunately I have been active all my life and enjoy the exercise I will get on a full pedal bike.
Posted By: terc Re: My New Ride - 09/04/22 12:36 PM
Tamid, Great ride. Do what you want, but I've been riding long enough to know that sooner or later you are going to break that nice shotgun. It needs a hard case !
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: My New Ride - 09/04/22 01:45 PM
Originally Posted by terc
Tamid, Great ride. Do what you want, but I've been riding long enough to know that sooner or later you are going to break that nice shotgun. It needs a hard case !

I think the gun across the handle bars is a recipe for trouble - to the gun, or to your body parts when it hangs on something. If this was something I was going to do lot, I would invest in a saddle scabbard that lets it ride with butt pointed rearward and up. Might take a few trial and error adaptations to get it right, but someone must have done this already.
Posted By: oskar Re: My New Ride - 09/04/22 01:55 PM
you could add one of these, they are pretty lightweight and do protect your shotgun.
[Linked Image from imagizer.imageshack.com]
Posted By: Tamid Re: My New Ride - 09/04/22 08:38 PM
Good point about damaging your gun however I use the handlebar holders for my high power rifle and a crossbow. No damage yet. Don't like a half case with some of the gun sticking out. To me it is the same a having no protection. Oskar, I've seen and used that type of case on an ATV but its overkill for a pedal bike. Anyone know of a plastic case designed for just a shotgun that is relatively sleek.
Posted By: Tamid Re: My New Ride - 09/04/22 08:43 PM
Originally Posted by oskar
you could add one of these, they are pretty lightweight and do protect your shotgun.

I think you run the risk of having either coyote get caught up in the back wheel and the one coyote getting singed from the exhaust.
Posted By: oskar Re: My New Ride - 09/05/22 04:23 AM
I only pack them like that to the nearest sign post or windmill to skin them on, no trees tall enough. You can hold your hand in front of the exhaust without getting burned , barely hot enough to warm your hands on a cold day.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: My New Ride - 09/05/22 11:17 AM
What do good western coyote pelts bring nowadays, Oskar? Not a trick question. I trapped for years, when fur prices were lucrative, back in the late 70s and early 80s, and have always had an interest in what the markets have been since.
Posted By: GLS Re: My New Ride - 09/05/22 11:49 AM
I'd post a photo or two of my bike, but I'm about done with photo posting here. I've run through Photobucket, Hunt101, and jpegbox.com which all have faded away. Wish this site allowed direct posting without a hosting intermediary. I have a 90's era Cannondale hardtail mountain bike rigged with gun holder on handlebars and a plastic milk crate on the cargo carrier. The Cannondale replaced my old steel-framed Schwinn that I had been using since the 70's. I'm still healthy and fit enough to pedal without electric motor assist. When hunting with a red dot on my shotgun, I prefer to sling it over my back rather than rely on the handlebar holders as my bike has no shocks and I'm concerned about losing zero due to hard jarring along the trails I hunt. Gil
PS. Stan just pm'd that Jpgbox is working again. Here's a photo of me and the bike with the dog which is hell to get to sit still.
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Posted By: oskar Re: My New Ride - 09/05/22 01:04 PM
I have them tanned and sell them for wall hangings, use them for decoration and make things from them when prices are low. My wife wants a throw for the couch. And I want to sew a vest this winter. I have thirteen in the freezer right now, you get a break at the tannery with lots of 20.

Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: My New Ride - 09/06/22 02:02 AM
I put Mr Tuffy strips in my mtb bike tires

You won’t get a flat unless gunfire is involved.
Posted By: oskar Re: My New Ride - 09/06/22 04:20 PM
I sell them for garment tanned wall hangings for $60.00. Fur sale prices are in the dumps now, in the past anywhere from $10.-$100
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: My New Ride - 09/07/22 12:44 AM
Dang, you've got to tan them and go to all that trouble to get $60 !! That's amazing.

When I was trapping a good western 'yote pelt would bring nearly that much, fresh skinned. I need to dig out a couple of my old fur sale sheets, that I saved, and post them here. It would shock many, I'll bet, what the hides would bring without even skinning them ........... selling the whole frozen carcass, hide on.

Edited to add - I looked at some of the old fur price sheets last night and I sold large, well colored bobcats for as much as $45 in '84, unskinned. The buyers didn't want us skinning them because they wanted it done their particular way. $45 in 1984 is over $125 today, adjusted for inflation. That particular season I sold $2037 in fur, which would adjust now to $5808. Those fur sales were a welcome addition to the family household funds in lean farming years.
Posted By: oskar Re: My New Ride - 09/07/22 12:56 PM
Those were the days, I sold beaver for a buck an inch, fox for $100, muskrats for $7. and mink for $50. You could make a living on raccoon. Some years I made more money trapping than I did as a Journeyman Carpenter. I send them out for tanning, I just skin and stretch. I have a permanent beam in my back yard and a portable one for the truck. Not many hunting activities that are fun and pay for themselves. Nothing like a day on the desert calling coyotes and getting paid for it. Especially getting to do it with double guns.
Posted By: Tamid Re: My New Ride - 09/08/22 01:10 AM
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com][/quote]

That's a great shot (photo). Like the tie. I've never been in the proper company to wear one hunting. If you showed up in my camp today wearing one there would be many a sideways glance behind your back.
Just having the dog in the basket is an accomplishment. Mine were trial dogs and well trained but I think I would have a lot of cussing to keep them still.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com