doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: canvasback Double Gun Journal - 08/01/22 07:05 PM
Skuttlebutt is they have reached the end of the line. Anyone know any more??
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/01/22 07:43 PM
Ain’t Skuttlebutt if it comes straight from the horses mouth:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Best,
Ted
Posted By: bushveld Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/01/22 07:49 PM
Just this morning I sent an email asking Daniel/Joanna asking if the Summer 2022 issue had been mailed.
Posted By: MattH Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/01/22 08:20 PM
What is that from Ted?
Posted By: eightbore Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/01/22 08:44 PM
A letter from Dan and Joanna arrived today, August 1, 2022 stating that publication of DGJ was discontinued. If you are a subscriber, you will have the details.
Posted By: Brittany Man Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/01/22 08:53 PM
If it is the end, that is a shame but I'm not surprised. I was a subscriber from issue #1 until about 2 years ago when I did not renew. There were simply not enough articles re. the things I had an interest in & I'm sure others felt the same. I really enjoyed the publication for the first 15 years or so & then the focus started to change more to "hardware store" firearms & much less on higher quality items.
Posted By: MattH Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/01/22 08:54 PM
Thank you. Sad news indeed. I guess I haven't gotten my letter yet here in GA. ----Matt
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/01/22 09:23 PM
Have been afraid for awhile that this news would be coming. At least now the letter won’t be a shock.

Grateful thanks to Daniel & Joanna.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/01/22 09:34 PM
Our news/mail comes a little slower in Canada.
Posted By: craigd Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/01/22 09:40 PM
How about that, haven't gotten my note yet. Started at about the third or fourth issue, got the earlier ones, and subscribed steady since. They survived a heck of an onslaught from on line info and the pretty much demise of the magazine rack.
Posted By: topgun Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/01/22 09:50 PM
I'd heard two years ago that this was coming and had asked Joanna directly if this was a rumor as recently as early this year; I was told the Journal was their livelihood and they had no plans to stop publishing, but I suppose nothing lasts forever other than life here on earth. Dan and Joanna are getting on in years and Daniel had a really bad struggle with COVID; so I suppose we shouldn't be surprised. In my opinion this is a loss for the double gun world, and I actually have several interesting stories ready to go; but that's the breaks. I'll be watching my mail for formal notification.
Posted By: arrieta2 Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/01/22 09:56 PM
It was a job for them and I am sure for many years they enjoyed it

But like most jobs comes a point where you might like to retire

John Boyd
Quality Arms
Texas
Posted By: Chantry Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/01/22 10:44 PM
I got the letter today as well. Very unfortunate, I'm definitely going to miss getting the DGJ.
Posted By: Parabola Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/01/22 11:00 PM
A very great shame, but all good things must come to an end.

We should be grateful for all the pleasure they have brought us for these many years.

I have all the issues in hard copy, and perhaps I will start again at Volume One, Number 0ne. I will learn much.

Oddly enough today is the start of my final (?) retirement. I had intended to use some of the extra time I hope will be available to write and offer them a couple of articles on Edwinson Green. Woulda, coulda, shouda done that earlier.

Daniel, Joanna, very best wishes for a happy retirement.
Posted By: Mills Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/01/22 11:19 PM
I have not received the letter yet. They kept up a high quality product for a long time - 30+ years - so I am just thankful it went as long as it did. Probably just as well they didn't dumb down the product like a few other mags
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 12:15 AM
Thanks for the info, James. I am paid up through the next year so I hope to receive a letter of some sort explaining the details. I thank the Cote's for their labor of love for so long. I have been a loyal subscriber, and would stick with it if it were to continue as before. But, on the other hand, I have enough of them now that I can start back through them, rereading, and be perfectly happy.
Posted By: topgun Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 12:41 AM
My notice letter came in the afternoon mail and it is indeed official that the DGJ has folded. Seems the magazine was no longer profitable; they've been operating in the red for some time and finally had to stop the bleeding. This is very unfortunate as the DGJ has done immeasurable good for the double gun fraternity. I understand all subscribers will be receiving a letter offering DGJ products, to include the Index and Reader III, as reimbursement for prepaid renewals (I understand the Index and Reader is in works but delivery will be at some as yet undetermined point in future). I wish the situation was different. Tom
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 12:59 AM
As Parabola stated, nothing in Life is Static, so with Wolfgang's byline, Carpe Diem. As in many phases of my Life, at the time we just didn't know how good we had it until the phase is over. A True Loss. I sadly assume the Fraternity is dwindling??

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 01:26 AM
James, it may be dwindling, but another factor may be that all printed media has been suffering for some years. The internet has replaced it, it seems. Newspapers are no longer in the black because it's so much easier for someone to read the news on the computer and not have to deal with the refuse that a day old newspaper has become.

I would welcome DGJ offering an online subscription, but have no idea if Daniel and Joanna would be interested in such a venture.
Posted By: FelixD Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 02:16 AM
When I saw the letter today I felt like I learned of the death of a close friend. It’s been over 30 years since I read my first copy. That copy opened the door to a great interest that will always be there. The writers, the information, even the advertisements were unique and mind opening to a then young man. I will miss the Journal.
Posted By: WBLDon Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 03:22 AM
Haven't received my letter yet but does it address if this forum will continue or will it end as well?
Don
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 03:34 AM
Yes a sad day for me as well. This magazine helped spark my interest about 6 years ago and ignited a passion for fine guns that still burns strongly today. Each new issue fanned the flames of interest in fine doubles. I suppose in a way it is amazing that the publisher sustained it for this length of time. I’m not sure the De Cote’s realized the impact they had on the hobby. This magazine will be sorely missed.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 04:54 AM
Sad news to be sure. After decades I can say they help educate my double gun taste far beyond where I thought it would ever go. Through them and this site I have met and befriended hundreds of people. I have lost too many of those same people but think that knowing them has enriched my enjoyment of all things double related. I wish them well in what comes next for them and thank them for all they helped me learn. I hope this board remains active for as long as possible.
Posted By: BillK Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 06:28 AM
It is indeed sad news. Like many of you stated, I picked up the DGJ at a magazine rack years ago and it opened a window to a world unknown to me at that time. i was always interested in shotguns, but the DGJ educated me and introduced me to wonderful things unknown to me by then. It fueled my passion for fine guns and transported me to different times, far places, and wolds of mystic and adventure. The gift of passion about fine guns still burns in me strong and I will cherish the DGJ magazines I have accumulated. I am sure I will run my fingers through their pages again while sitting at my living room and appreciating some of the double guns I had the luck of acquiring as a result of the things I learned through the articles in the DGJ.It will be missed.BillK
Posted By: campero Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 06:37 AM
Very very sad news frown I haven´t received the summer issue yet, but I´m waiting to read the reasons for this sad news. The Double Gun and Single Shot Journal is for me, since I discovered it, the best and more beautiful publication about handcrafted guns. I am going to miss opening each issue and turning its pages like one who discovers a treasure in each one.
Posted By: campero Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 01:24 PM
I through that Summer issue would be the last one with the letter by Daniel & Joanna, but in The Double Gun Journal Group on Facebook they have told me that it was the Spring one.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

I haven't recieved any letter neither news, and no mail.

Today is a very sad day for me.
Posted By: bbman3 Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 01:30 PM
I have them all and it is a sad day there will be no more! Bobby
Posted By: 1916XE Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 01:34 PM
The closing of a chapter in an award-winning publication. Unique with a flavor all its own.
I wrote an article for them in 2003 on the family AAHE 1923 Parker.

Tom Kidd's articles on AH Fox shotguns could not be found elsewhere and had no peer.
Stay in touch, Stan.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 01:43 PM
WBLDon, since no one has stepped forward to answer your question, here goes. The Double Gun Journal magazine has nothing particular in common with the DoubleGunBBS. Daniel and Joanna Cote are the proprietors of Double Gun Journal and this forum is owned and moderated by Dave Weber.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 02:14 PM
Sad news and this is the first I have heard it. I never did subscribe but I bought copies on the news stands until they disappeared, and I've accumulated a good number of issues from folks who've collected them. I'll bet the going price for old issues will go up substantially as there is so much great information in every issue...Geo.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 04:19 PM
Great publication for sure, provided me with hours of reading and learning. I finally decided, several years ago now, I had no more room for them since I could never bring myself to trash a copy. Best wishes to the Cote's. Fwiw, I have 3 First Editions, unopened from their brown paper mailers.
JR
Posted By: WBLDon Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 06:11 PM
Eightbore,

Thank you much for the clarification....

Don
Posted By: HighWall Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 06:12 PM
I am going to miss Ross Seyfried's writing so much.. Been waiting for my issue. Now to hear this...
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 08:51 PM
Back in the early days of DGJ, those of us who wrote for the magazine really were "contributors". A little later on, when the first edition of my pheasant hunting book came out, I asked Dan if I could trade articles for ad copy. Worked out well for me. There were only some 300+ hardback copies of that book, and I sold the majority of them via those DGJ ads.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 09:56 PM
Originally Posted by 1916XE
Tom Kidd's articles on AH Fox shotguns could not be found elsewhere and had no peer.
Stay in touch, Stan.

So, so true. Tom's pieces on Fox guns are treasures. Tom and I have become long distance friends, and hope to shoot doves together this winter with our Foxes. We almost got to do so last winter but COVID got in the way.

I will miss Ross Seyfried's articles, too. He always has been one of my faves.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/02/22 11:01 PM
I thoroughly enjoyed the DGJ and had all issues from the beginning and they occupied two shelves of my bookcase. But early this year I realized I’d never get around to reading them again and gave away all 200 pounds of them at our Spring Rocky Mountain Vintager shoot in Raton, New Mexico. I only kept those issues by Sherman Bell dealing with shooting damascus guns using nitro—about ten issues. They found a good home and I think the new owner will get as much enjoyment from them as I did. I will miss the wonderful magazine and have fingers crossed someone will pick up the baton.
Posted By: Mills Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/03/22 12:27 AM
Got my letter today. Had a small credit so spent it on one of the DVD’s. I have the Parkers at the End of the Rainbow and recommend that one highly. I got the British guns so look forward to watching.

They say they are going to do some books on double guns and I hope that comes to fruition. Hate to say I am not holding my breath
Posted By: susjwp Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/03/22 11:45 AM
Mine arrived yesterday. Sad news for sure. This publication will be sorely missed.
Posted By: big al1 Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/03/22 12:24 PM
II hope and pray someone will step in and buy the company..Many thank to DGJ for being in business all these years..will really be missed
Posted By: Hal Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/03/22 01:58 PM
I have always hunted with doubles. Started out with a .410 Stevens. My dad shot a Nitro Special. I would spend hours looking at the engraved British and German guns in a dogeared old Stoeger catalogue. But I had never held one in my hands till I bought a Sauer Model 8 for $35 from a WWII veteran in 1950. It was made in 1911, and I was awed by the workmanship and wood like I had never seen before. It is still my grouse gun even though I can't hunt any longer. I began picking up and shooting American clunkers. I restocked a couple. In the early '60's I got into hunting with percussion doubles for waterfowl and at muzzleloader shoots. By then I fancied myself as a collector of duck decoys and double shotguns. So, when I saw my first DGJ in the mid-90's, I was in heaven and have since enjoyed every issue.

Goodbye old friend.

Hal
Posted By: Marks_21 Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/03/22 02:36 PM
It was with blissful ignorance that I checked the mailbox yesterday. Sad news for sure. I have previously daydreamed of a retirement plan that was continuing this publication, but I have no illusion that it was not lots of hard work and dedication and not a hobby! What an amazing piece it is!
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/03/22 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Mills
Got my letter today. Had a small credit so spent it on one of the DVD’s. I have the Parkers at the End of the Rainbow and recommend that one highly. I got the British guns so look forward to watching.

They say they are going to do some books on double guns and I hope that comes to fruition. Hate to say I am not holding my breath

Where can one order the dvds?
Posted By: eightbore Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/03/22 03:11 PM
I think you can order DVDs or any other products from older issues of DGJ.
Posted By: Mills Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/04/22 08:44 PM
If you got the notice, there is a list of stuff you can order and the DVDs are there.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/05/22 10:23 AM
Mills, I think there are more things you can order in addition to the items mentioned in the "letter". Maybe the "letter" only includes the items you can pay for with your credit.
Posted By: CJF Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/05/22 05:59 PM
Nothing unique to add here, but posting just in case Dan stops by to read as I want him to know how much I've valued the DGJ over the past 30 years. Back then I was young and our kids were little and there was little to no money for magazines, let alone nice doubles. But I bought the DGJ because it was truly different than the run of the mill gun magazines, which were (are?) just advertisements for boring stuff. Thank you for all the beautiful issues!
Posted By: Hal Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/05/22 06:10 PM
Is there any magazine that comes anywhere near a replacement? If not, I think it is this Forum.
Posted By: Remington40x Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/05/22 06:12 PM
I'm going to miss the DGJ very much and am taking a moment to include a letter in the return mailing to the Cotes telling them how much pleasure I experienced in the 33 odd years of subscribing to their quarterly. It is frequently one of the brightest highlights of my reading experience and I looked forward to receiving the latest issue with great anticipation, particularly when the reports came in from those who received their copies earlier than I received mine. I guess I'm just going to have to start over with Volume 1, Issue 1 and work my way through them again.
Posted By: marty weatherup Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/05/22 10:38 PM
I bought a few of them over the years on the new stands and enjoyed them but got my nose out of joint when I tried to subscribe ten years ago. My payment was processed but I never received a magazine. A dozen emails went without reply. I gave up and never bought or read another.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/06/22 12:07 AM
Originally Posted by marty weatherup
I bought a few of them over the years on the new stands and enjoyed them but got my nose out of joint when I tried to subscribe ten years ago. My payment was processed but I never received a magazine. A dozen emails went without reply. I gave up and never bought or read another.

That’s really too bad. I’m not discounting your experience. I’ll just say I always had the best service from them. Subscribing, ordering back issues and slipcovers and any other contact I had with them.
Posted By: craigd Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/06/22 12:38 AM
For years when I renewed my subscription or picked up a few of the books, I just called the phone number that was listed. I have no idea, it was probably Joanna, but someone always picked up the phone and processed my order, never once went to voice mail or some other automated phone service.
Posted By: marty weatherup Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/06/22 01:05 AM
The few people I’ve mentioned it to said the same thing but after never being able to contact them and being out the cost of a year’s subscription I figured it was just an expensive lesson.
Posted By: 1916XE Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/06/22 04:14 AM
Having written a Parker-related article for them in 2003, the Cote's and the DGJ were always a professional
pair to work with. They rewarded their contributors with a continuing subscription.
I will miss the quality of the Journal.
Posted By: keith Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/06/22 05:51 AM
I'm sorry to see DGJ come to the end of the line. But I suppose this is better than having the even worse alternative where quality and content decline to the point where I no longer look forward to reading the next issue. That's what happened a few years ago when I finally stopped subscribing to another gun magazine I had bought religiously since I was in college.

I really never understood why some guys would sell their DGJ collection. I find mine to be an invaluable reference, and all of them don't take up much more than 3 feet of bookshelf space. I guess I'll have more time to reread them now.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Double Gun Journal - 08/06/22 05:31 PM
Many years ago (I still had my hair in a ponytail) I met Sherman Bell at one of the Heritage Arms shows. A friend of mine was an acquaintance of his, and introduced me as a fellow writer for the mag (I am just a one trick pony). We had a real nice conversation, and he was selling surplus DGJ magazines, as he got a authors pre publication copy in addition to his regular subscription. He noted, “I hope they don’t turn out to be valuable collectors items someday, selling them at this price” which, may have been $5 a magazine. I told him he would feel a whole lot worse if the most collectible magazines turned out to be the ones we didn’t have an article in.
We had a real good laugh.

The best magazine I ever bought a subscription to.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: campero Re: Double Gun Journal - 10/17/22 02:32 PM
I haven´t received the letter yet, but David confirmed me by e-mail that I have a credit to order back issues.

I replied by email and Facebook, but haven´t received any answer.

Anyone know what is the problem?
Posted By: Researcher Re: Double Gun Journal - 10/17/22 03:28 PM
Back when I was writing articles, The Gun Report and the Canadian Journal, Arms Collecting sent me the layouts for approval. The articles to The Double Gun Journal, the first thing I would hear would be when a box of authors copies arrived. Some of their editing introduced errors into my articles. I did get them to print a correction once. Still was the best magazine ever and we owe them many thanks.
Posted By: ed good Re: Double Gun Journal - 10/17/22 03:42 PM
it was an interresting and over priced publication when it first started...

after a couple of years it became boring and redundent, not worth the ten bucks a pop price...

surprised that it lasted as long as it did...

now an on line version might be worthwhile...

ole jOe an udders here could be guest performers...
Posted By: Chantry Re: Double Gun Journal - 10/17/22 04:34 PM
Originally Posted by campero
I haven´t received the letter yet, but David confirmed me by e-mail that I have a credit to order back issues.

I replied by email and Facebook, but haven´t received any answer.

Anyone know what is the problem?

Probably back logged, I mailed a letter with what I wanted the day after I got my DGJ with the note that they were done and it took at least a month, maybe more before it arrived.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Double Gun Journal - 10/17/22 05:00 PM
I expected to hear such comments from Fred Good, the Fred Sanford of the double gun world. Personally, I think DGJ is to be missed, and is/was the great resource of double gun collecting. No, I have not yet received my residual payment item, but I'm sure it will come soon.
Posted By: mc Re: Double Gun Journal - 10/17/22 05:06 PM
If your only interest is selling guns why would you pay for a publication with information in it. edd has shown his lack of knowledge and laziness by always asking for someone to answer his questions ,I enjoyed it.
Posted By: Jack K Re: Double Gun Journal - 10/17/22 11:09 PM
Does anyone know if Ross Seyfried or Sherman Bell are writing for any other publications?
Posted By: Flintfan Re: Double Gun Journal - 10/18/22 12:02 PM
For anyone who received the notification in the mail, did they list the CCL gun finishing products? Not sure if I have an old issue laying around with their phone # to check if they still have them.

If someone could post the phone # they have listed on their last notification, it would be most appreciated.
Posted By: ed good Re: Double Gun Journal - 10/18/22 02:35 PM
now an on line video version might be worth while...

something like this...but featuring someone who spoke american , sos we could understand what the hell he is trying tp tell us...

Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Double Gun Journal - 10/18/22 03:28 PM
231-536-7439

And for the CCL products it says you need to order by phone or email so I take that to say they are available.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com