doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: DLH Low pressure alternatives to RST - 07/11/22 10:04 PM
Are there any 12 bore 2.5" alternatives to RST shells aside from reloading? Many thanks...
Posted By: ClapperZapper Re: Low pressure alternatives to RST - 07/11/22 10:32 PM
You can bring back “some” ammunition in your checked bag from the UK.

RST was the only dependable source I have seen for some time.

I gave away a few cases at double done shoots, thinking it would be a good fundraiser.

The winners didn’t even know what the heck it was they had won. And the people who needed it were too cheap to buy tickets for the raffle.

Good luck finding appropriate ammunition stateside.
Posted By: Fudd Re: Low pressure alternatives to RST - 07/11/22 10:44 PM
Don't know if this fits your definition of low pressure, but Kent have these in 2.5":

https://kentcartridge.com/us/shotshell/elite-low-recoil-training
Posted By: Replacement Re: Low pressure alternatives to RST - 07/12/22 12:56 AM
Those short Kents are real popular with the old fart target shooters around here. I have a flat but I'm not old enough to shoot them yet.
Posted By: Tamid Re: Low pressure alternatives to RST - 07/12/22 02:05 AM
Try William Larkin and Moore in Scottsdale
Posted By: Owenjj3 Re: Low pressure alternatives to RST - 07/12/22 03:15 PM
Check old threads here, I was able to purchase some B&P comp 1 oz. low pressure 2 3/4" from a site recommended here which I use in some of my older doubles.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Low pressure alternatives to RST - 07/12/22 03:38 PM
I haven't found 2 1/2" Kent Elite shells anywhere
https://ammoseek.com/ammo/12-gauge/Kent-shotgun?sl=2%201%2F2

Natchez Shooting Supply is out of the 7/8 oz. and 1 oz. B&P, but keep watching. I purchased a case of the 7/8 oz. from them last fall.

William Larkin Moore's supplier here in Phoenix has been unable to source components and they have had no shells for quite some time

The Fiocchi 7/8 oz. Training Loads are also unavailable. They have a Shooting Dynamics 7/8 oz load but it is 1350 fps
Posted By: JDH Re: Low pressure alternatives to RST - 07/13/22 01:24 AM
I have two 10 box cases I bought years ago from Midway. They are Federal Vintage Gold Metal 12 guage 7/8 oz #7-1/2. Never shot them.Anyone familar with them.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Low pressure alternatives to RST - 07/13/22 11:22 AM
2 1/2" shells, as far as I know, are all CIP approved. In 12ga, that means a maximum service pressure of 10,730 psi compared to our American SAAMI standard of 11,500.

But here's the rest of the story: Many of the foreign lead loads available in this country (when they're available!) are hunting vs target loads. Heavier shot charges and more velocity (meaning more recoil) than you may want, particularly for target shooting. RST's 2 1/2" shells, as well as being low pressure, are mostly modest velocity and lighter shot charges. So lower recoil.

Nontoxic loads for vintage guns are another topic. British shotshell makers offer steel loads which are approved for use in "standard proof" (previously marked 850 bar, now marked STD) shotguns. But they have less velocity and are restricted to smaller shot sizes than are steel loads for guns that have passed steel shot proof. And I don't know if they're available in the States (or will be when the supply chain is actually working). If I were looking for nontox loads to use in vintage guns, I'd probably look at Kent's Tungsten Matrix loads. I have a few boxes of those in case I choose to use my 120 year old William Evans for pheasants where nontox is required. They're as good as lead. Shot charge is relatively light (1 1/16 oz), which is OK for me as long as I don't try really long shots.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Low pressure alternatives to RST - 07/13/22 02:31 PM
Originally Posted by L. Brown
2 1/2" shells, as far as I know, are all CIP approved. In 12ga, that means a maximum service pressure of 10,730 psi compared to our American SAAMI standard of 11,500.

But here's the rest of the story: Many of the foreign lead loads available in this country (when they're available!) are hunting vs target loads. Heavier shot charges and more velocity (meaning more recoil) than you may want, particularly for target shooting. RST's 2 1/2" shells, as well as being low pressure, are mostly modest velocity and lighter shot charges. So lower recoil.

Nontoxic loads for vintage guns are another topic. British shotshell makers offer steel loads which are approved for use in "standard proof" (previously marked 850 bar, now marked STD) shotguns. But they have less velocity and are restricted to smaller shot sizes than are steel loads for guns that have passed steel shot proof. And I don't know if they're available in the States (or will be when the supply chain is actually working). If I were looking for nontox loads to use in vintage guns, I'd probably look at Kent's Tungsten Matrix loads. I have a few boxes of those in case I choose to use my 120 year old William Evans for pheasants where nontox is required. They're as good as lead. Shot charge is relatively light (1 1/16 oz), which is OK for me as long as I don't try really long shots.

I've got a bunch of TM in both 12 and 16 but it's all heavier waterfowl loads. Nothing I want to shoot out of an old gun. A few years ago I pulled apart a bunch of TM #6 and a friend reloaded the shot into some nice 1 oz low pressure loads. I'm just not shooting at ducks enough.
Posted By: Mills Re: Low pressure alternatives to RST - 07/15/22 12:21 AM
Hopefully RST will be back soon.
Posted By: skeettx Re: Low pressure alternatives to RST - 07/15/22 03:21 AM
https://www.rotometals.com/bismuth-shot/
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Low pressure alternatives to RST - 07/15/22 11:07 AM
In addition to the B & P Comp One loads which are in the 8000 psi range, there are these ........... Winchester AA Low Recoil Low Noise loads which are very close to 15/16 oz. (26 gr.) and are in the 6000 psi range. I would not hesitate one moment to use either of these loads in a sound 2 1/2" chambered gun with good barrel wall thicknesses. It has been shown that doing so only increases the chamber pressures a few hundred pounds at most, not enough to be concerned about. There used to be an "equivalent" load offering from Federal but, I don't know if they are listed anymore.

https://winchester.com/Products/Ammunition/Shotshell/AA/AA12FL8

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=31805&page=all (Notice the post by Drew Hause concerning these loads and their pressures)
Posted By: RARiddell Re: Low pressure alternatives to RST - 07/15/22 11:20 AM
I think those Federal are the subsonic loads. They still make them.
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: Low pressure alternatives to RST - 07/18/22 05:17 PM
Ah, the reason I still reload. With a razor or band saw I can make any size shell my little heart desires and at any pressure. Black or smokeless. I've never had to hunt for them.
Posted By: Grouse Guy Re: Low pressure alternatives to RST - 07/18/22 11:52 PM
I was surprised to find a shop with cases and cases of Eley 2.5 inch, unfortunately all in 12ga. #8 lead but 28gm (1 oz.) so might not crack a vintage stock.
Unable to confirm if Larry B's statement that these are of moderate pressures is accurate, but hopefully so.
Pretty unusual to find short shells in Montana!
Posted By: Southern Sport Re: Low pressure alternatives to RST - 07/20/22 02:14 PM
Does this Montana shop ship out of state? I would love to get my hands on a case or two. Nothing to be found here in NC. Thanks.
Posted By: Grouse Guy Re: Low pressure alternatives to RST - 07/20/22 11:15 PM
Originally Posted by Southern Sport
Does this Montana shop ship out of state? I would love to get my hands on a case or two. Nothing to be found here in NC. Thanks.

I'm going in to buy a case or two tomorrow. I'll ask.
Posted By: Grouse Guy Re: Low pressure alternatives to RST - 07/23/22 01:11 PM
Southern Sport... I sent you a PM.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com