doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: FallCreekFan Boss & Co. - 06/27/22 12:10 PM
This is fine.

Posted By: spring Re: Boss & Co. - 06/27/22 07:15 PM
A really well-done video. Here's an article on the owner of Boss & Co. when he was quail hunting with a good friend of mine at his nearby Chokee Plantation. Chokee was purchased by another friend last year. It's a wonderful place to hunt.

Arthur DeMoulas hunting at Chokee
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Boss & Co. - 06/27/22 11:18 PM
Spring, isn't Chokee the place that used to sell a few wild bird hunts each year?
Posted By: spring Re: Boss & Co. - 06/28/22 12:38 AM
Yes, when Fred died and left it to his 3 kids, they decided to sell 10 hunts per year. The overhead to run Chokee ultimately lead to it being sold last year. It's a cool place. I've hunted there a couple of times including with Kevin Costner when he was in town for a celebrity event in 2014.
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: Boss & Co. - 07/03/22 06:24 AM
Wealthy, often titled clients, who did not pay their bills, causing financial hardship to gunmakers is a recurring theme. In the book "Purdey, the Guns and the Family" there is a passage about Purdey almost going under due to his non paying aristocratic clientele. Lord Bentinck had to shame some of those to settle their debts. As the video says Boss suffered from the same problem. If they did it to the top two they probably did it to others also.

So, when checking the order ledgers and feel a flutter seeing an imposing name as first buyer of a gun, maybe we should temper that with the thought that the client might have been one of the non paying high society chiselers.
Posted By: GLS Re: Boss & Co. - 07/03/22 02:39 PM
My late friend took his son and another man and his son and the cost for two days was $25,000 which included meals and boarding for two nights. Gil
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Boss & Co. - 07/03/22 03:26 PM
Originally Posted by GLS
My late friend took his son and another man and his son and the cost for two days was $25,000 which included meals and boarding for two nights. Gil

Dress code, I imagine. Guest list, too. I likely wouldn’t make the cut, even with the cash.

Best,
Ted

Posted By: canvasback Re: Boss & Co. - 07/03/22 03:41 PM
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by GLS

Dress code, I imagine. Guest list, too. I likely wouldn’t make the cut, even with the cash.

Best,
Ted

I’m regularly at private hunt clubs that have a dress code but not that are $3000 a day per gun. Maybe a third of that. Even if I could afford it, which I can’t, $3000 a day doesn’t seem like good value. lol.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Boss & Co. - 07/03/22 04:06 PM
Simon Reinhold is a fine speaker, who discourses with absolute assurance. The video is a good one. However, Simon does say some things occasionally which are questionable. His assertion early in the video that London gunmakers from 1800-1845 relied solely on word-of-mouth and that there was no public advertising at all is demonstrably not true.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com