doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Lloyd3 Going Home... - 06/27/22 01:51 AM
And very much in the way the bagpipers use that traditional tune. Headed back tomorrow for the funeral of my good hunting & fishing buddy, who also happened to be a retired Pennsylvania Police Officer (& my brother-in-law). Taken too-early (54-years old) on his motorcycle last week (on Father's Day). I was just educated (by a very insightful person) that any death before it is expected is a life-burden for the survivors, and I've been feeling that weight all week. He leaves behind a devastated wife and 3 daughters and I know... sadly, how that life-burden for them will be a painful constant going forward. This will be a tough one.

He and I were supposed to fish Wyoming two-weeks before his passing (I couldn't go because of a conflict) so we'd been exchanging lots of photography of late. A larger-than-life individual (at 400-plus pounds!) Marty touched lots of lives over the years (he was even part of Colin Powell's security detail many years ago in Germany). A combined millitary and State Police funeral awaits him and his gathered family on Wednesday.

Godspeed Marty!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Going Home... - 06/27/22 02:23 AM
So sorry for your loss. Will keep your family in our prayers. Jon
Posted By: skeettx Re: Going Home... - 06/27/22 02:24 AM
Safe trip, sorry for your loss
Mike
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Going Home... - 06/27/22 02:58 AM
Lloyd,
Saddened to hear of the loss of your good friend and family member.
Karl
Posted By: liverwort Re: Going Home... - 06/27/22 03:07 AM
Deepest sympathy.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Going Home... - 06/27/22 03:15 AM
Do have a safe trip, Lloyd. You have my deepest sympathy.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Going Home... - 06/27/22 05:12 AM
Sincerest sympathies, Lloyd. I do feel for his family.
Posted By: keith Re: Going Home... - 06/27/22 05:40 AM
My sincere condolences to you, and to Marty's family Lloyd.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: Going Home... - 06/27/22 11:16 AM
Sorry to hear this Lloyd.
Lost my best friend about 8 months ago. Still hurts.
Prayers for you and his family.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Going Home... - 06/27/22 12:05 PM
Leaving the Midwest this morning heading back to CO. Went by the hospital yesterday afternoon to say goodbye to my last brother in law knowing he doesn’t have long. Empathizing with you this morning,Lloyd, and asking grace for his family and for you.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Going Home... - 06/27/22 01:49 PM
So sorry to hear this news Lloyd. You and your family have my sympathies. I lost my BIL almost two years ago. Suddenly. He was my age so it was way too soon. He was just a fantastic guy.
Posted By: SKB Re: Going Home... - 06/27/22 02:15 PM
Very sorry for your loss Lloyd. Have a safe trip.
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: Going Home... - 06/27/22 04:48 PM
may i suggest that you send his wife a copy of Joan Didion's book, "The Year of Magical Thinking"....it is a worthwhile read for anyone who has been thrown into the emotional abyss by the death of their spouse. a retired librarian friend gave me a copy after my first wife's death (June 16, 2010) and since that time i have given between 40 and 50 copies to friends, and some to strangers. it is not about religion or philosophy, simply about the realities of life, and focused on this particularly painful time.

my second wife died, February 8, 2021, and i struggle daily to maintain my balance and a positive outlook on "things". i have come to look on this as a part of my education....but, i am always saddened when i learn that someone else has been enrolled in this school. please convey my most sincere condolences to his family.

best regards,

tom
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Going Home... - 06/27/22 11:23 PM
Tom, I am so sorry for your losses as well. My wife and I have been married 50 years, and I often wonder what it would be like to lose her. The reality is that either she, or I, will likely find the answer to that question. You have my deepest sympathies.
Posted By: Mark II Re: Going Home... - 06/28/22 10:24 PM
I'm sorry for your loss. I know how you feel and really wish something could help ease the losses suffered. A toast to absent comrades.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Going Home... - 06/29/22 10:09 AM
Thank you all! As is usual here, you folks are wonderful and insightful. Got through the worst of it yesterday. The final act is today (over in Wellsboro, Pennsylvania).

Tom, I will look for your book. Thankyou for the suggestion (& my condolences for your lost loved ones as well).

Lloyd
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Going Home... - 06/29/22 08:41 PM
Praying for God’s peace and comfort to surround all of Marty’s family. What a loss!
Posted By: ed good Re: Going Home... - 06/30/22 05:15 AM
the longer one lives the more one suffers the loss of others...

the sadness we feel is one of the down sides of being here so long...

life is good...

death sucks...

try too live and be as happy as you can...
Posted By: limapapa Re: Going Home... - 07/01/22 02:28 AM
My condolences LLoyd. Safe travels and wish him Godspeed for me.

Mike P.
Posted By: damascus Re: Going Home... - 07/02/22 09:52 AM
I am sure that ed good's observation about getting older is truly the way life is. Growing older is also life's way of letting you know that you too are mortal so live each day as if it where your last.
These few lines I have always found have more meaning in bereavement than a thousand words.

Now that I am dead cry for me a little
think of me sometimes.
But not too much.
Remember me now and again as I was in life,
at some moment when it is pleasant to recall.
But not for long.
Leave me in peace, and I shall leave you in peace.
And while you live let your thoughts be with the living.

Anon
Posted By: Bob Cash Re: Going Home... - 07/02/22 08:30 PM
We shall honor him by carrying on.
Posted By: gil russell Re: Going Home... - 07/03/22 12:09 AM
What a beautiful tribute to a friend. What more could one ask for?
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Going Home... - 07/04/22 05:12 PM
It's the 4th today, and all the flags are triggering my memories of last week. Law enforcement services are a new experience for me, but I found it a fitting and lovely tribute for my hunting & fishing buddy. They say pictures are worth a thousand words and this little vignette says it all for me. I appreciate your forbearance, as this has nothing to do with fine shotguns...

The lines for the viewing were around the block most of the day, and the funeral procession involved easily 20 vehicles, with the State Police leading the pack. We travelled from Bradford, Pennsylvania to Wellsboro, a two and a half hour trip. Every little town we went through had their own police and fire departments out, blocking traffic for the funeral procession and standing at attention. Police cars would join and then depart as we travelled through their jurisdictions. I would normally find all of this extravagant but in this case it was simply touching. Not something I'll quickly forget.

When the volley of shots had been fired, taps had been blown, and the flag draping his coffin had been ceremoniously folded and then handed to his widow with the words "given with the thanks of a grateful nation" I was simply overcome.

Marty would have loved it.
Posted By: Karl Graebner Re: Going Home... - 07/04/22 06:51 PM
A great honor for a wonderful man, and service to country remembered.
Karl
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com