doublegunshop.com - home
A friend turned up an old Damascus 16 gauge back action sidelock hammergun marked (in Gothic script) on one side: "P. (or D) Schwartz et fils." And on the other 'a-something Mercsh."

Mersch is a locality in Luxembourg.

A search on-line finds a Drilling made by the Schwartz freres of Luxembourg. Does anybody have any information about this firm?

It has long 30" barrels, but it's a light gun, and comes right up. It must be quite early. You turn a lever sideways to open it, then you turn a smaller lever underneath the first the other way to release the barrels. In the French mode, the metal forearm remains attached to the action. Also: no halfcocks. Not broken, but never were any. You have to carry it fully cocked. Those hammers are basically sitting resting on the firing pins.

-----------------------------------

I have a couple of boxes of black powder 2 1/2" 16 gauge shells, but they're in plain white boxes and I forget where I bought them. Does anyone know a source for black powder 16 gauge shells?
"
The firm sold some incredibly highly decorated guns. I have two box locks that had deep relief engraving and beautifully carved stocks. I did spot the Sauer caveman on one , so guess they came in part from Germany .

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

another Schwartz detail.

Posted By: ellenbr Re: P. Schwartz et fils, Luxembourg - 06/22/22 11:28 AM
Fantastic adornment on the offerings by Schwartz Frères Armuriers de S.M. le Roi des Pays-Pas. Arquebusier Schwartz Frères looks to have been one stop shopping? I do wonder where they sourced their platforms? Looks like it was founded in 1660 by Büchsenmacher Heinrich Schwartz - Schlechter, Wiltz? And Arquebusier P. Schwartz joined the club in 1842, probably acquired his mechanic's sheepskin in 1842?

Nuggets of info here:

https://www.industrie.lu/schwartzfreresmersch.html

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: P. Schwartz et fils, Luxembourg - 06/22/22 11:35 AM
Maybe after 1929 their wares were stamped >>Schwartz Frères à Mersch (Luxbg)<<??

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: P. Schwartz et fils, Luxembourg - 06/22/22 11:36 AM
Originally Posted by David Zincavage
....... It must be quite early. You turn a lever sideways to open it, then you turn a smaller lever underneath the first the other way to release the barrels. In the French mode, the metal forearm remains attached to the action. Also: no halfcocks. Not broken, but never were any. You have to carry it fully cocked. Those hammers are basically sitting resting on the firing pins.......

The longarm may wear non-rebounding locks??

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com