doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bsteele Anyone know when the 24ga was introduced? - 06/08/22 11:00 PM
Interested if anyone knows if the 24ga cartridge pre-dates the German proof laws of 1891. I know of an early gun with not many proof marks, maybe a provisional mark, but certainly not a full set of German proofs.
Posted By: mc Re: Anyone know when the 24ga was introduced? - 06/08/22 11:52 PM
There were pinfire 24ga. 1860s I'm not sure exactly
Then it makes sense there might have been center fire 24’s pre-1891. Thanks!
I have a G.E. Lewis double 24 bore centrefire that I can date to 1873. Lagopus.....
Posted By: AGS Re: Anyone know when the 24ga was introduced? - 06/09/22 06:43 PM
It pretty much shared a case design with the Snider conversion and the .577 black powder rounds, and was a common muzzle loading shotgun size, so I would be much surprised if it wasn't developed along with all the other common gauges, much earlier than the German proofs. It was actually probably dying down before that date.
Posted By: AaronN Re: Anyone know when the 24ga was introduced? - 06/10/22 03:35 AM
The earliest pinfire shotshells from the 1830s have only ever been seen in 24g even.

Also, if you go back that far though 24g (in Paris) did not mean the same thing as a later English 24g.

However, I was looking on the IAA forum to try to find a couple examples for your specific question. This would be a good one.

This is a German 24g by Utendoerffer who ceased operations in 1889 when they sold to RWS. So definitely made before 1891.

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
The knowledge on this board is unequalled.

Thank you AaronN for the info and picture!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com