doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Dr. P Double Gunsmith in Minneapolis - 06/06/22 07:01 PM
I am visiting my son in Minneapolis and he had a fore end lug fall out of his sleeeved Midland SLE shooting sporting clays with me today. He already has a small collection of vintage SxSs but someday will inherit a much larger collection.

Is there a good local Minneapolis (or environs) gunsmith he could build a relationship with without having to ship these old guns out for repairs? He is more than willing to drive a couple of hours or so out of central Minneapolis.
Posted By: Entropy Re: Double Gunsmith in Minneapolis - 06/06/22 07:09 PM
You might drop this ‘smith an email. He’s in the Central WI area a few hours east on 29.

No personal experience yet. He was recommended to me on this forum.

https://www.mbabllc.com/page/page/7927803.htm
Posted By: Dr. P Re: Double Gunsmith in Minneapolis - 06/06/22 07:54 PM
Good suggestion but website says they are not currently taking new work. Any other ideas out there?
Posted By: Entropy Re: Double Gunsmith in Minneapolis - 06/06/22 09:21 PM
It still might be worth an email inquiry tho...

Also might try Track of the Wolf up in Elk River. They are more BP oriented however they might have a reference for you. The sportsman’s club up there has some unique events, including one of the few officially sanctioned Swiss Rifle matches here in the US. It’s an eclectic crowd I hear.

I’ll keep me ear peeled. I have family up there as well.
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: Double Gunsmith in Minneapolis - 06/06/22 09:46 PM
A lot of people seem to like mark. I don’t. Always has been rude and a jerk whether asking about smithing or guns for sale I don’t bother anymore and I live in Wisconsin
Posted By: mc Re: Double Gunsmith in Minneapolis - 06/06/22 09:55 PM
Mark is matter of fact not rude I have known him for a long time he's a busy guy,
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Double Gunsmith in Minneapolis - 06/06/22 10:18 PM
Heard good things about this guy. Never used him:

http://www.odenthalgunsmithing.com/

Fred Ardoff is at Capras, in Blaine, right down the street from me. Same deal, never used him, but, people have and got good service.

tel:612-281-9550

I’ve heard some people bltching about Ahlman’s Custom Gun, in Morristown, MN, of late, but, I have had excellent results, just not of late. Google them

Best,
Ted
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: Double Gunsmith in Minneapolis - 06/06/22 10:33 PM
Originally Posted by mc
Mark is matter of fact not rude I have known him for a long time he's a busy guy,

Busy or not , when I asked him to inspect a gun for me and then be my gunsmith he was rude. There was no explanation that he wasn’t taking new clients. That would have been fine. His response was basically to take a blanking hike I was surprised at how unprofessional he handled it
Posted By: DoubleTake Re: Double Gunsmith in Minneapolis - 06/06/22 10:40 PM
That’s not the Mark I know. He’s always been fair and good-humored around me.
Posted By: keith Re: Double Gunsmith in Minneapolis - 06/06/22 11:59 PM
Originally Posted by DoubleTake

If you mention the free advertising of his business that he does in his tagline here, the "good-humor" man will get pretty pissed at you right quick.

We are not supposed to notice those who sell services and things here by advertising in their taglines.... thus circumventing the usual For Sale forum, and the obligation to pay Dave Weber the $12.00 fee that is requested on the "honor system".
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Double Gunsmith in Minneapolis - 06/07/22 12:07 AM
For over a year mark has been busy doing what he calls in house. He will buy older Sxs and fix them when he finds worthy candidates. You can't fault him if he finds that more rewarding. When I lived in Minn there was a 'smith named Larry Dallum up in Anoka, he was very good. Also go to the Horse and Hunt Club for sporting clays and ask them. Horse and Hunt is south of Burnsville.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Double Gunsmith in Minneapolis - 06/07/22 12:45 AM
Larry has been retired for about a decade. Believe he is in Arizona, now.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Dr. P Re: Double Gunsmith in Minneapolis - 06/07/22 09:44 AM
Thanks all…many good suggestions. I will provide follow-up!
Dr. P
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Double Gunsmith in Minneapolis - 06/07/22 07:42 PM
Originally Posted by DoubleTake

Surprises me as well, and I've done a bunch of gun deals with Mark and have had him work on several guns. If he sells you a gun, he stands behind it.
Posted By: ed good Re: Double Gunsmith in Minneapolis - 06/07/22 10:14 PM
nough awl ready...
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Double Gunsmith in Minneapolis - 06/07/22 11:43 PM
Originally Posted by ed good
nough awl ready...

You wouldn't know "enough" if it ran rough shod over you. Evidence? Your endless dummy dialect/speak should have ceased and desisted years ago. But, you continue to wear it.
Posted By: ed good Re: Double Gunsmith in Minneapolis - 06/07/22 11:53 PM
say watt...
Posted By: JNW Re: Double Gunsmith in Minneapolis - 06/12/22 02:35 AM
I’ll second Bob Odenthal. He’s done excellent work for me and what I really like is that if he can’t do something very well he won’t do it.

Laib’s Gunsmithing out in Spicer MN may also be able to fix your son’s gun. Give both of the above a call.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com