doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Nitrah old sxs won't accept all shells - 05/20/22 07:40 PM
my reloads won't fit in all the way so when attempting to close gun the action won't close all the way. I don't fore it, juts put those shells aside. It is a small number so not a major deal but I wonder of it isn't too much work to deepen the space cut into the beginning of the chamber.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: old sxs won't accept all shells - 05/20/22 08:33 PM
I’d first check your resizing die. Over time it can creep out of adjustment and not be resizing the brass all the way down to the rim.
Posted By: Kutter Re: old sxs won't accept all shells - 05/20/22 11:31 PM
Some mfgr shells, the 'brass head' actually steelon most all hulls made today is a bit springy as compared to others.
Since theya re all being sized by the same sizer die, they are all being swaged down to the same dia.
But some will spring back a bit more than others.
Those are usually the ones that chamber almost all the way but then refuse the little bit.

I used to have trouble with a certain Winchester 20ga promo hull. Can't remember the actual marketing name of the load. They loaded real nice but they would
refuse to chamber in one particular gun. Win AA hulls, Federal , Remington reloaded on the same press had no problem.

Also, the mouth of the reload can sometimes have a mushroom type look to it and that can prevent it from chambering all the way.
The final crimp die on the press is supposed to do just that (final crimp) but also give a slight taper to the end of the reloaded shell.

Sometimes a simple readjustment of the final crimp die resolves that.
Make sure the pre-crimp isn't overdoing it's job. Too much pre-crimp can cause a bulge just below the final crimp that sometimes can't be made to dissapear
by that that final crimp stage.
Posted By: oskar Re: old sxs won't accept all shells - 05/21/22 04:48 AM
I have the same problem sizing the heads on a Mec 600 and run everything through a Super Sizer, problem gone.
Posted By: eightbore Re: old sxs won't accept all shells - 05/22/22 11:26 PM
Buy a PW 375 and resize your loaded shells in that resizer, but stand back if one ever goes off in the sizer. Best to reload all of your shells in the PW 375. The MEC collet resizer is a joke if you want all shells to fit in all guns.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com