doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ksauers1 rst - 04/30/22 01:27 AM
Has anyone tried to get on their website lately ? I just tried and its gone
Posted By: skeettx Re: rst - 04/30/22 01:42 AM
BP says NO LONGER AVAILABLE

https://www.ballisticproducts.com/RST-16ga-2-1_2-7_8oz-lead-25_bx/productinfo/RST16PL/
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: rst - 04/30/22 01:44 AM
Did they go under? I hope not but.......
Posted By: DaveB Re: rst - 04/30/22 01:59 AM
I haven’t been able to reach the RST web site as well.

In regards to Ballistic Products listing RST as discontinued. When I stopped at Lion County, they told me that they were no longer selling RST shells because RST no longer offered dealer pricing. I am sure Ballistic products is in the same boat.
Posted By: Replacement Re: rst - 04/30/22 02:43 AM
Not just ammo, but I have been seeing a number of products (electronics and appliances) showing as "discontinued," when the reality is that the vendors just can't get the product. Called one manufacturer in Asia to ask about an item and they told me it's not discontinued, they just don't don't have the components to build any right now.
Posted By: canvasback Re: rst - 04/30/22 03:33 AM
They shipped me two flats of 20 gauge last week.
Posted By: topgun Re: rst - 04/30/22 03:53 AM
They're still around; just struggling with a backlog of orders they can't fill because they can't get components.
Posted By: ksauers1 Re: rst - 04/30/22 12:51 PM
But then why take the website down? I’m on the list for some 16’s. This is not a good development
Posted By: KY Jon Re: rst - 04/30/22 03:31 PM
They can not produce more than what they can sell direct, so there is no reason to sell at a discount to other retailers, who will drop them in a second when supplies become easier to get. Right now things like powder are getting a bit more common but the prices have almost doubled.For a shell maker it is even more difficult when you can not predict which if any powders you can get when you find any at all. There is some ability to use different powders with different combinations but when you are loading to a lower pressure point there are only a few options to start with. Where other factory loaders can find six to ten powder choice you might only have three.
Posted By: AGS Re: rst - 04/30/22 04:37 PM
Anybody try a phone call? I was going to try, and realized without their web site, I don't have their number.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: rst - 04/30/22 05:23 PM
Originally Posted by AGS
Anybody try a phone call? I was going to try, and realized without their web site, I don't have their number.

Welcome to my world...

Best,
Ted
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: rst - 04/30/22 06:23 PM
Originally Posted by AGS

Try 570.553.1651
Posted By: mark Re: rst - 04/30/22 08:26 PM
https://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36284
Posted By: Antonio Re: rst - 04/30/22 10:42 PM
Thanks Mark. Very reassuring.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: rst - 05/01/22 03:33 AM
I offered 32 plus pounds of PB powder to help keep them running. Unfortunately there was an issue of liability. It seems since I was not a retailer of powder or hazmat shipper they had a concern about the powder being altered I was told and potential liability coverage. Perhaps 32 pounds of PB was not enough to help in the long term. Pity. But I will still hope for their continued ability to make good shells for our old doubles.
Posted By: mark Re: rst - 05/02/22 09:36 PM
RST is back up!
Posted By: Buzz Re: rst - 05/03/22 11:49 AM
I’m glad to see they are sorta up and going again, but prices for their shells seems pretty high and especially when you add on shipping.
Posted By: SKB Re: rst - 05/03/22 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by Buzz
I’m glad to see they are sorta up and going again, but prices for their shells seems pretty high and especially when you add on shipping.

The prices of components have gone up dramatically and not many other options exist for shooters of old guns. I have been buying shells in the UK and by the time they get here I am not saving a thing over RST shells. I am able to get the loads I like this way at a price that is comparable to RST shells. I just ordered 6 more flats this morning, not that I will run out anytime soon but I do not see prices dropping or supply increasing in the near future. Those of us shooting old doubles and short shells are a niche market and we end up paying for it.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: rst - 05/03/22 10:48 PM
Originally Posted by SKB
The prices of components have gone up dramatically and not many other options exist for shooters of old guns.

There's one big option .......... reloading. But as you implied, you have to be judicious in your buying of components. Still, savings can be had that way.
Posted By: Buzz Re: rst - 05/04/22 11:09 AM
I’d buy a flat or 2 of 16 ga for hunting at $17-$18/box because the cost of shells for a hunting trip matters little….but, for high volume clay target shooting, as Ed might say….fo’getta’bout it.
Posted By: SKB Re: rst - 05/04/22 11:27 AM
How many guys are shooting high volumes of clays with old guns requiring low pressure cartridges? Not too many is my guess. I absolutely love my vintage doubles and they are pretty much all I shoot in the field. If I were to take up high volume clay shooting I would choose a more practical gun for the job, one that could digest cheap promo loads when I needed it too.

Horses for courses as the saying goes.
Posted By: Buzz Re: rst - 05/04/22 12:34 PM
You ever been to the vintage SxS shoots? They shoot quite a few targets and often times with old guns. But, I agree. I will shoot my MX8 for high vol sporting clays.
Posted By: SKB Re: rst - 05/04/22 12:38 PM
I have, I was a member of the local Vintagers for years and once in a while still shoot with them. I picked up two flats of 7/8oz RST's for grouse and clays. I am not a high volume clay shooter but for the occasional round of sporting clays with vintage guns RST's work for me.
Posted By: Buzz Re: rst - 05/04/22 12:50 PM
You best stock up on those RST’s because unless the Republicans take over fairly quickly, you may see them at $28/box and before too long from now.
Posted By: SKB Re: rst - 05/04/22 01:01 PM
Yes I remember, the GOP is the party of fiscal restraint. Heck it was as recent as the Eisenhower administration that the Republicans had an administration with a balanced budget wink Stay well Buzz.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: rst - 05/04/22 01:15 PM
Reloading is the only way I can feed all my guns. 10-.410, five different ammo sizes with about the same number of different combinations makes for a lot of inventory of powder, wads, primers and shot. On the plus side I had fully stocked up on everything in 2020 so I am set for several more years. I still buy things at even todays crazy prices to try and keep my options open.

I always get asked do I save money? The short answer is yes but not as much as I want. The shells I load for $6.00/ box would cost $12.00/ box or more if I could find them, which I can not. The problem is with increasing component prices replacement cost when I restock will drive the cost per box to $8-9.00. Around here promo shells are running $11.00 and name brand shells $13.00 plus taxes. I save the most on smallbore shells and have no local source for 2 1/2” loads in 12 & 20 at all. Once you get a loader setup for them they are easy to crank out. With about 75,000 empties it will be a long time before I need to worry about what shells to load, only what to put into them and increasingly where to find the stuff.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: rst - 05/04/22 01:18 PM
Originally Posted by SKB
How many guys are shooting high volumes of clays with old guns requiring low pressure cartridges? Not too many is my guess. I absolutely love my vintage doubles and they are pretty much all I shoot in the field. If I were to take up high volume clay shooting I would choose a more practical gun for the job, one that could digest cheap promo loads when I needed it too.

Horses for courses as the saying goes.

Steve, I don't shoot SC all that often, but I shoot a lot of recreational skeet with old guns. And I'm getting ready for some sxs shoots here in the Midwest featuring SC where I need low pressure cartridges. While reloading has become more difficult these days with various components difficult to find, I'm still able to reload enough shells to acceptably low pressure to deal with SC. Although for us 16ga fans, it's tougher than it is for someone who shoots 12s or 20s.
Posted By: SKB Re: rst - 05/04/22 01:27 PM
Larry,
My only point is that RST is catering to a very small niche of the shooting public and when name brand shells are $13 a box I do not think 15$ a box for 2&1/2" cartridges is crazy. It does get costly for anyone shooting volume, I do not deny that but I think that the price is not out of hand considering they cannot come close to meeting demand. I completely understand why folks reload, I just have too much on my plate as is to start reloading shotgun shells again.
Posted By: eightbore Re: rst - 05/04/22 02:18 PM
I didn't let $5.00 a box shells cause me to sell my loaders. They are still on the bench, will be used more when my supply of $5.00 shells runs out. I am loading 7/8 ounce 12 gauge shells and searching for light 1 1/8 ounce loads at Wal Mart at $8.42 a box. I don't shoot enough 1 1/8 ounce loads to be worth changing the loader over for them. Life is good.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com