doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: pipeliner Pad suggestion for Nick special pads - 04/26/22 03:08 AM
Picked a couple of ns one 16 bore 30 inch BBL F/F and a 20 bore M/F will need advice on a pad for both going with a Isis comb pad.Case color on th 20 ,80%.16 case color 50%.Currently have about 500.00 in each gun.Can do the install.Thanks
Posted By: Researcher Re: Pad suggestion for Nick special pads - 04/26/22 03:27 AM
Up thru 1931 when a recoil pad is shown on Ithaca's Lefever Arms Corp. paper it is a Hawkins with the heart-shaped openings. From 1932 onward it is the Ithaca "bridge trestle" pad.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Pad suggestion for Nick special pads - 04/26/22 12:47 PM
Since you are adding a pad to a gun which did not come with a factory pad I am a little bit more flexible. Always liked the Sunburst pads and don’t think they look out of place on either of your guns. But Hawkins pad, if you can find a good one also look nice. I come across more Sunburst pads than Hawkins.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Pad suggestion for Nick special pads - 04/26/22 09:42 PM
What is a "nick special"? While we're at it, what is an Isis comb pad? Both sound like they would be more appropriate with a Pachmayr White Line pad.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Pad suggestion for Nick special pads - 04/26/22 09:57 PM
what is an Isis comb pad?

https://recoilsystems.com/combraiser.php
Posted By: battle Re: Pad suggestion for Nick special pads - 04/27/22 12:19 AM
Nothing is appropriate with a white line pad.
Posted By: AGS Re: Pad suggestion for Nick special pads - 04/27/22 01:40 AM
Actually, I have a last year production NID 16 that I bought in the 60'same for 75 bucks when it was not yet 20 years old and essentially unwanted in my area because there was zero demand for doubles and an old farmer owned it. It is a field grade with really high quality wood. It was all original although used and is fitted with a white line recoil pad. From the fit and look I have always been convinced this was original. It was one of the last guns made and likely using parts available.
Posted By: pipeliner Re: Pad suggestion for Nick special pads - 04/27/22 03:51 AM
I just purchased 2 nitro special for my only grandson one a 20 bore the other a 16 bore both in nice condition.He is 2 years old.Life is short.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Pad suggestion for Nick special pads - 04/28/22 08:06 PM
AGS, Ithaca's own logo pads were available in all modern times. The white line pad is not original to your gun. OK, now I understand that a Nick Special is a Lefever Nitro Special. They sound like very nice examples.
Posted By: pipeliner Re: Pad suggestion for Nick special pads - 04/28/22 10:43 PM
Just shooters the 16 has 2.75 drop the guys on the helped with drop going to purchase the English Isis comb pad.
Punctuation would help us understand your posts a lot better. Not criticizing, just sayin'.
Posted By: pipeliner Re: Pad suggestion for Nick special pads - 04/29/22 04:16 AM
Thanks working from a kindle fire I agree
Nothing wrong with a Nitro:

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

I wonder what the story was on this 16 gauge that came out of Maine. Barrels were rusty, but, the rest of the gun looked like new. I bid $275 and won the auction for it. Checks a lot of grouse hunter boxes-26” barrels, choked Cyl and Mod, original 2 3/4” chambers, pretty light as Nitros go. I always wonder if some poor soul saved to get his perfect grouse gun, and never really got the chance to use it? 1937 vintage, just doesn’t need a pad. I use it often on a local, Federal WMA that requires non toxic shot, with some older Heavi-Metal ammunition I bought from a guy, here.

[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]

Best,
Ted
Posted By: pipeliner Re: Pad suggestion for Nick special pads - 04/29/22 11:25 PM
Will try be correct ,sic,once in a life time bargin.jmho
Posted By: pipeliner Re: Pad suggestion for Nick special pads - 04/29/22 11:26 PM
What's the dah ?
About 2 3/4”. Works OK for a bit of grouse hunting, for me, as is.

Wouldn’t want any more drop than that, however.

Don’t forget, I blued the barrels. I got half a dozen guns over the years that were free, but, I got them after friends and family couldn’t use them anymore, which, always makes me kind of sad.

Best,
Ted
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com