doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: John Roberts OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/12/22 02:55 PM
I am to the point that I do not travel without protection in my vehicle. Most trips are from Mississippi into Alabama, Florida, Louisiana, or Tennessee. I never check on reciprocity, trust Jesus, and hope for the best. Always carry my piece into my hotel room. Well, almost always. What do you all do?
JR
Posted By: eeb Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/12/22 03:17 PM
I always carry in my car and bring it with me to the motel room. Discretion is the name of the game. Better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/12/22 03:23 PM
Have a TX CHL. Travel from TX to MI a couple of times a year and out to AZ and NV. I always check reciprocity and avoid IL. Also fly to MA to hunt grouse in NH. I shipped and left a handgun at my cousins so I can carry there and avoid a handgun in the MA airport.
Posted By: Jtplumb Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/12/22 03:38 PM
Yep I keep mine in glove box or hotel/condo where ever I go. Just don’t forget about it if visiting a military base, that can be a real problem! Not a fun time.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/12/22 04:23 PM
There is a pretty big movement currently for "permit less carry", but I still keep a concealed carry permit to prevent misunderstandings. For a while, dealers were allowed to cite a valid "carry permit" as proof of background check. Unfortunately, dealers have been advised not to accept them in lieu of a background check any longer, but a valid permit can only help even if not technically required.
Mike
Posted By: FlyChamps Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/12/22 05:11 PM
Originally Posted by Der Ami
For a while, dealers were allowed to cite a valid "carry permit" as proof of background check. Mike

It depends on the state issuing the "carry permit" plus the "carry permit" will only replace the NICS background check in the state of issuance. Your location shows Alabama and Alabama permits are not a qualifying permit and out-of-state permits (even if qualifying in their state of issue) cannot replace a NICS background check.

BATF Permit Chart
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/12/22 07:05 PM
Canada really, really doesn't like it if you decide to carry a handgun into their country. I live in GA so surrounding States seem cool with it...Geo
I carry here and in Wisconsin. I’d go to more states, but, the scamdemic made travel more difficult. Reciprocity between WI and MN. We are in WI pretty frequently.

Every day, Canada becomes less likely as a destination for me, which, is not to say it was on my radar for the last decade, anyway. You can put Australia on that short list, also.

Hope they are thrilled with the actions they posed upon their subjects the past two years, and the subjects feel the same. The coherent rest of the free world was sickened and disgusted.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/12/22 08:58 PM
I carry, period. If I could carry my SXP discreetly I would.

eeb nailed it.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/12/22 10:30 PM
FlyChamps,
I wasn't very clear, I was only referring to Alabama dealers.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/12/22 11:28 PM
It’s becoming more and more of a challenge. I’m currently in CA dealing with details subsequent to the death of our son here. I called the USCCA prior to leaving to be double sure regarding CA and NV laws. While here I stopped in the last gun shop still open in the county where I was and they warned me about carry in AZ as I travel back.

And all this doesn’t even touch on what’s involved in visiting the grandkids in NY.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/12/22 11:49 PM
What was the warning regarding Arizona?
This is dated 3-2022
https://www.handgunlaw.us/states/arizona.pdf

https://www.shouselaw.com/az/blog/arizona-ccw-reciprocity-3-things-to-know/
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/13/22 12:00 AM
Texas now has constitutional carry. I am keeping my permit for the sake of reciprocity.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/13/22 12:31 AM
I carry. Almost zero people know that, I have done so for years. My wife did not know for many years until we got into a situation which made the need for ready access more important than total concealment. She knew I had a permit, but had never seen me carry. Concealment without compromising access is not easy but I think is important.

It’s getting harder to conceal as I lose more weight. Bulky clothing with a large body, gives you a lot more to work with, just like a jacket is a serious upgrade for concealment on skinny people. I’ve dropped 6”+ in waist and well more than a full jacket size. With my fat clothes I could hide two 1100’s.

I am limited in that I do not carry a second clip, but if I can’t put you down, with a .45, at extreme close range, I should not be carrying in the first place. Most people I know, who carry seem to think firepower is the answer. Never needing it is the answer but having it when you are wrong is priceless. For everything else there is Mastercard. Stay safe and keep your powder dry.
Posted By: Borderbill Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/13/22 12:36 AM
I've kept up my Arizona CC for umpteen years since they first offered it. You don't really need it in AZ as the carry laws are pretty liberal but I want it for out of state. Though it can come in handy in AZ. I was driving home one night from Douglas in the farm dually wearing a coat and tie as I was going home from Lodge and a BP pulled me over. As he looked in the window he asked if there was something I wanted to tell him. I hadn't a clue what he was talking about and I followed his eyes...my pistol was on the passenger seat, all perfectly legal of course but showing him my conceal carry card eleminated any discussion.
He had no probable cause to pull me over... although maybe the pollero uniform for that night was formal.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/13/22 12:38 AM
Originally Posted by KY Jon
I am limited in that I do not carry a second clip, but if I can’t put you down, with a .45, at extreme close range, I should not be carrying in the first place.

Very well said.
Posted By: craigd Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/13/22 01:23 AM
For me it depends which states I cross. I've done a transition from on me, to handy in the truck, to unloaded, to unloaded and cased. I suspect this is an era of a leo running an out of state license plate, and getting an instantaneous report of what the vehicle owner has for registered firearms. I don't know if an out of state felony arrest is recoverable. Simple solution, don't cross into or patronize some states unless absolutely necessary for a kid or grandkid.
Originally Posted by FallCreekFan
It’s becoming more and more of a challenge. I’m currently in CA dealing with details subsequent to the death of our son here. I called the USCCA prior to leaving to be double sure regarding CA and NV laws. While here I stopped in the last gun shop still open in the county where I was and they warned me about carry in AZ as I travel back.

And all this doesn’t even touch on what’s involved in visiting the grandkids in NY.

You have my deepest sympathy. I’m terribly sorry for your loss.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: John Roberts Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/13/22 02:31 AM
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by FallCreekFan

You have my deepest sympathy. I’m terribly sorry for your loss.

Best,
Ted
Amen to that, Ted. So sorry, FCF.
JR
Posted By: AZMike Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/13/22 10:09 AM
Yesterday afternoon as I got to my ranch gate there were 9 or 10 Border Patrol and Cochise County cruisers with a car and cuffed persons in the ditch. Between the ranch and farm is 4 or so miles, last week a very crashed car flipped/rolled and was 25 or so yards in the cow pasture-- a chase that ended quickly.
To not have access to a shooter at any given time would be like having no insurance or concern for safety. I am 7 miles from the AZ/MEX border.
Years ago it was just a bunch of farmers sons crossing the border for work, now there is a very dangerous and evil quality to to situation.
Thanks Brandon you idiot!
Posted By: AGS Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/13/22 02:27 PM
Originally Posted by FlyChamps
Originally Posted by Der Ami
For a while, dealers were allowed to cite a valid "carry permit" as proof of background check. Mike

It depends on the state issuing the "carry permit" plus the "carry permit" will only replace the NICS background check in the state of issuance. Your location shows Alabama and Alabama permits are not a qualifying permit and out-of-state permits (even if qualifying in their state of issue) cannot replace a NICS background check.

BATF Permit Chart

I live in KY and the laws are pretty pro-Carry here, with the legislature trying for even more liberal rules on open carry. This is considered more controversial here than CDW due to the "freak-out" potential. As I understand KY's position, they went to accepting a CDW as background when they adopted a system of automated monthly checks of their permit holders.

I am surprised that we don't have more permit holders here than we do. According to state records we have over 500,000 permits for a total population of 3.5MM. A lot of people seem to have dropped them or simply carry without a permit, which is legal if concealed and not visible. I keep mine due to travel and purchsae ease. One thing of note is that KY has a Concealed Carry Deadly weapon permit, not CCW, and allows carry of an entire range of defined items:

(4) "Deadly weapon" means any of the following:

(a) A weapon of mass destruction;
(b) Any weapon from which a shot, readily capable of producing death or
other serious physical injury, may be discharged;
(c) Any knife other than an ordinary pocket knife or hunting knife;
(d) Billy, nightstick, or club;
(e) Blackjack or slapjack;
(f) Nunchaku karate sticks;
(g) Shuriken or death star; or
(h) Artificial knuckles made from metal, plastic, or other similar hard material

I suspect these would cause heartburn in a lot of concealed carry states, so I would hesitate to carry these into other states. It does however make it possible to buy such items as automatic knives (switchblades) extensable police batons etc in authorized dealerships catering to law enforcement.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/13/22 03:20 PM
I like the “weapon of mass destruction”. Would that be a hand grenade or small tactical nuke? Asking for a friend. KY is a gun friendly state, Maryland, where I lived for several decades is not. Getting a CCW permit was not easy 40 years ago. Most found it easier to become a deputy axillary sheriff and get one issued by the sheriff than go through the State Police for approval. It was basically a shall not issue system, instead of a shall issue system. Wonder if that has changed? Not that I intend to move back there while living.
Posted By: AGS Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/14/22 09:15 PM
I laughed when I saw that, but after thinking about it, it along with the other designated items, would allow any Class 3 or NFA device to be caried.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/15/22 12:58 AM
To rephrase a statement by Clint Smith, "The purpose of a pistol is to fight your way to the nearest shotgun (Clint said "rifle"), which you should have never put down".

I am first and foremost a shotgunner. I feel the most secure when I am near my SXP, but my 1911 gives me much security when I can't be near the 12 gauge.
Originally Posted by Stanton Hillis
To rephrase a statement by Clint Smith, "The purpose of a pistol is to fight your way to the nearest shotgun (Clint said "rifle"), which you should have never put down".

I am first and foremost a shotgunner. I feel the most secure when I am near my SXP, but my 1911 gives me much security when I can't be near the 12 gauge.

Rule #1 of gunfighting, is, “Have a gun”.

You are covered. Remember when the Korean store owners in LA got laughed at for having 30” full choke pump hunting shotguns on the roof of their shops to defend them?

The laughing seemed to stop after the first load of buckshot went down the pipe.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: craigd Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/15/22 02:59 AM
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
....Rule #1 of [most anything nowadays], is, “Have a gun”....

For a little spin on it, that's why of a pocket .380, way more have, than not have. What ever the choice, try to resist that inner voice that says, I don't need the practice, lots of it. Around the house, it's been the same cheapie pump with a short slug barrel on it, for getting close to forty years. Probably, the best part is there's a bunch of other toys and tools options.
Posted By: AGS Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/15/22 03:37 AM

I think that was one of Coopers's original rules of gunfighting.
Posted By: Borderbill Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/15/22 04:15 AM
I've moved to tuned revolvers while I look for the shotgun. My arthritis makes the slide on the Colt Series 70 that I carried for years difficult.
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/15/22 07:38 AM
What is the situation for those who travel south to attend the Southern Side by Side in North Carolina? Is a loaded handgun in a car legal in Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, or North Carolina ? I find it difficult to blend the posted regulations into an understandable concept.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/15/22 10:55 AM
Originally Posted by AGS

I think that was one of Coopers's original rules of gunfighting.

That was who I had remembered said it too, AGS. But, when I did a search on it to make sure I quoted it right I found it credited to Clint Smith, who I believe was a student of Cooper's.
Posted By: eeb Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/15/22 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by eightbore
What is the situation for those who travel south to attend the Southern Side by Side in North Carolina? Is a loaded handgun in a car legal in Virginia, Maryland, Pennsylvania, or North Carolina ? I find it difficult to blend the posted regulations into an understandable concept.

Just be discreet Bill and no one will know.
Posted By: Chantry Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/15/22 04:31 PM
Originally Posted by eightbore

I make no promises that this is 100% accurate: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/resources/ccw_reciprocity_map

In Maryland you will go to jail, MD does not issue CCW permits or recognize CCW permits from other states
Posted By: tanky Re: OT-Handguns and interstate travel - 04/19/22 02:52 AM
What ever you do, do not, I repeat do not come to New Jersey with a hand gun. That applies to New York and some of the New England states. If you are passing thru carry your gun according to federal law to the T. Failure to heed this warning will cost you dearly in money and jail time. New Jersey does not respect your 2nd amendment rights. The Democrats{Commies} running the show there absolutely and positively hate you! An example of this is a man that spent 5 years in prison for being caught with a Marlin model 60 because the gun violated the assault gun ban for holding more than 15 rounds of .22's The kicker is they later removed all .22's from the assault gun ban list but the man still had to serve the remainder of his sentence because it's codified mandatory! New Jersey has ruined many citizens lives over gun violations. I since moved to Florida. Give us your huddled masses yearning to breath free!
My Dad always said the best day of his 80 year life was leaving New Jersey, and knowing he would never set foot in it again. That was in 1968.

Best,
Ted
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com