doublegunshop.com - home
I have another butt plate that I have no idea what it would go to.

It shows a game scene, is a little smaller and is curved. European I suspect.

It measures 4 7/16 inches heel to toe, is 1 ½ inches wide and the screw hole spacing is 2 5/8 inches.

Any ideas on what gun this one may be for? And thanks for your help in my other thread telling me my “MG” marked butt plate is for a Gebrüder Merkel. Much appreciated.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

European woodcock from what I can see. A much prized game species with much mythology and mystique about it.
If you go online to N C ORDNANCE Inc and browse their website you might find a match.
I suspect it is a butt plate made "for the trade".
Mike
Originally Posted by Parabola
If you go online to N C ORDNANCE Inc and browse their website you might find a match.
Originally Posted by Der Ami
I suspect it is a butt plate made "for the trade".
Mike
There doesn't appear to be any of that style at N C Ordnance. They did have the Gerbruder Merkel from my other post as suggested.

So, still "a don't know".

Thanks for your help.

Jolly
I have seen many Belgium trade guns with elaborate 'plastic' butt plates. Molding a nice game scene was very inexpensive and added a touch of 'fancy' to an otherwise plain gun. No proof of this just surmising.
I can't remember. Pieper had some cool ones like that
Does it depict Ducks or Woodcocks?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Originally Posted by ellenbr
Does it depict Ducks or Woodcocks?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Looks like those two on the butt plate could be either?

European woodcock might have a larger bill?
I believe they are woodcock as well. The branches and the birds’ posture all support that.
An artist’s rendition isn’t always a perfect likeness.
Wow, that's really beautiful. Definitely woodcock. Shorter, wide wings relative to body length, short tail... I love the deep relief aspect of it.
Sources give, and Wolfgang can elaborate, that it is indeed Schnepfen(Woodcock/Snipe family) and it would have been an early addition to a sporting arm in Germany, but I would say possibly of Belgian origin, maybe even French.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
"Duck Snipe" Rare Northern European semi migrant
Yeah, they require a special shotsize too......

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
I'm the owner of the butt plate and original poster inquiring about that butt plate.

I put it on ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/165433411116
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com