doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: ed good after market choke tubes in sxs guns - 03/08/22 08:42 PM
occasionally one hears of a classic side by side gun where some philistine machined the barrels for choke tubes...

and occasionally, one also hears that one or both barrels no longer shoot to original point of aim...

a recent report about a problematic bss prompted this thread. care to share your experience with this problem...no names please...
Posted By: Hal M Hare Re: after market choke tubes in sxs guns - 03/09/22 12:12 PM
I have had good luck with choke work by B....... They trued the barrels on my 16 gauge and the flush chokes now give me more shooting options than the M/F bbls. Ditto their work on a 20 gauge Pedersoli that was IM/IM. Now is viable for Skeet and Sporting Clays. Finally, my CSMC M-21 received the same magic touch for the same reasons. Now I can use these former fixed choke shotguns for more leisure time shooting.
Posted By: eeb Re: after market choke tubes in sxs guns - 03/09/22 12:51 PM
As steel becomes mandatory in the UK Teague will be kept busy putting choke tubes in classic doubles
Originally Posted by eeb
As steel becomes mandatory in the UK Teague will be kept busy putting choke tubes in classic doubles
Yep. Nothing wrong with it either.
Posted By: ed good Re: after market choke tubes in sxs guns - 03/09/22 05:14 PM
I'm sure pinfire aficionados thought centerfire shotguns cartridges were an abomination too.
Posted By: ed good Re: after market choke tubes in sxs guns - 03/09/22 06:57 PM
redundant
Posted By: ed good Re: after market choke tubes in sxs guns - 03/09/22 07:01 PM
well, in fact, any kind of cartridge firing gon is an abomination...beginn wid dat 44 henry rim fire...

here is an example of awl we really need...

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...hotgun.cfm?gun_id=101834510&cdn_bp=1
Posted By: eeb Re: after market choke tubes in sxs guns - 03/09/22 07:25 PM
Nice
Lighten up, Francis. They're just tools.

I’m sure the vintage guns that are well struck for lead, will have inadequate wall thickness to put in choke tubes.

I don’t know what shot size is being recommended this year for the moors, nor what is recommended for the later seasons high pheasants.

I’m just booking days now, but I can report back when I find out.

I would hate to split a set of barrels after going through the process of having the microthin choke tubes installed. I haven’t heard mention of the trapezoidal thread profiles in a long time.

But I have read about a guy that had his A&S tubed with disastrous results.
Posted By: ed good Re: after market choke tubes in sxs guns - 03/10/22 12:32 AM
for moors, 00 buck in the right barrel is recommended...and if that dont stop erm an he is on you wid his sword, then, a slug out of the left barrel should do the trick...
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com