doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: canvasback Steel Shot through a 16 gauge - 03/06/22 04:59 PM
It's generally suggested that steel shot is manageable in a gun with barrels NOT made for steel with chokes opened at least to modified. However, I think that is generally referring to 12 gauge.

What is the collective wisdom here regarding safe choke dimensions for steel in a 16 gauge barrel. Modified still, or should it be more open? My concern at this point is strictly barrel bulge. Also not concerned at this point with pressure or recoil issues. Simply likelihood of barrel bulge.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: Steel Shot through a 16 gauge - 03/06/22 05:28 PM
James: I would look first to the overall build of the gun. Some 16s can be pretty substantial, while others are fairly dainty. A heavier build would more-likely tolerate the steel shot IMHO, much like a standard 12 bore would with modified chokes. I suspect it boils down to barrel wall thickness as much as anything.

I does, however, beg the next question... why shoot steel in a 16?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Steel Shot through a 16 gauge - 03/06/22 05:32 PM
James,
Buy a different gun to shoot steel in. Or, find an alternative to steel. Steel, being what it is, is less forgiving at both ends, and 12 gauge perhaps should be considered the minimum gauge for use of same. My opinion. But, it isn’t plainly wrong.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: canvasback Re: Steel Shot through a 16 gauge - 03/06/22 05:55 PM
LOL, Ted, Lloyd. Its not my gun. I don't shoot steel. However I know this guy well, know that one day, when not properly prepared, he will send steel down the barrels and want to be able to advise him on a set up that minimizes (doesn't eliminate) the likelihood of a bulge. Not everyone cares as much as we do. LOL

Lloyd the gun is a Belgian made 16 gauge 6 pound 10 oz ejector with plenty of barrel wall thickness. It's got a 14" LOP to a pad and the stock is in fantastic condition. It's a good, solid post 1925 vintage SxS. 2 3/4" chambers. Its currently choked Mod and Mod (.020 approx).
Posted By: oskar Re: Steel Shot through a 16 gauge - 03/06/22 06:16 PM
If it is that nice of a shotgun, I wouldn't go near it with factory loaded steel shot. I keep a CZ 20ga Bobwhite around to shoot steel if I need something to shoot high volume steel. My nice hunting guns get ITX-10 or Bismuth. There are plenty of cheap shotguns out there if you have to shoot steel.
Posted By: ed good Re: Steel Shot through a 16 gauge - 03/06/22 06:21 PM
generally speakin, if it was made before the late eighties, the barrel steel is too soft for hard steel shot...gauge is not a factor...
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Steel Shot through a 16 gauge - 03/06/22 10:04 PM
James,

You just said the magic words-“It’s not my gun”.

Party on, Garth.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Replacement Re: Steel Shot through a 16 gauge - 03/07/22 03:47 AM
if it was made before the late eighties, the barrel steel is too soft for hard steel shot...

I guess someone forgot to tell the guys at companies like Remington and Miroku/Browning. I have their guns from the 60s and 70s and they are quite happy shooting steel.
Posted By: Perry M. Kissam Re: Steel Shot through a 16 gauge - 03/07/22 04:20 PM
And I have a Stevens 311 from 1962 that digests steel quite nicely.
Posted By: ed good Re: Steel Shot through a 16 gauge - 03/07/22 06:28 PM
generally speakin...
Posted By: Replacement Re: Steel Shot through a 16 gauge - 03/08/22 02:52 AM
Generally speaking, older fluid steel gun barrels are fine with modern steel loads, as long as the loads and the chokes are sensible. There are some exceptions.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Steel Shot through a 16 gauge - 03/08/22 12:00 PM
Originally Posted by canvasback
What is the collective wisdom here regarding safe choke dimensions for steel in a 16 gauge barrel. Modified still, or should it be more open? My concern at this point is strictly barrel bulge. Also not concerned at this point with pressure or recoil issues. Simply likelihood of barrel bulge.

Because it takes less constriction to tighten patterns the smaller the bore gets I would not go tighter than a light modified in a 16, James. Certainly no more than .015", which is considered LM in a 12 ga.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Steel Shot through a 16 gauge - 03/08/22 12:38 PM
Thank you Stan.
Posted By: ed good Re: Steel Shot through a 16 gauge - 03/08/22 03:52 PM
when shooting steel, choke constriction is certainly a consideration...

plus, one should also consider hardness of steel shot vs hardness of barrel steel...scoring and erosion of bores can occur when steel shot is harder than barrel steel...
Posted By: LeFusil Re: Steel Shot through a 16 gauge - 03/08/22 04:32 PM
Originally Posted by ed good
when shooting steel, choke constriction is certainly a consideration...

plus, one should also consider hardness of steel shot vs hardness of barrel steel...scoring and erosion of bores can occur when steel shot is harder than barrel steel...

Steel shot never gets close to the actual bore. Literally surrounded by an ultra thick, tough plastic/resin wad. There’s no scoring. There’s no scratching. Theres no erosion. The only thing that would cause any of that is foreign elements that were already in the bore (ie dirt, mud, etc). There’s only burnt plastic/resin and powder fouling left in the bore after firing a modern factory loaded steel shot shell.
Again Ed, the shot never comes into contact with the bore.
All factory steel loads are loaded with specially designed wads that eliminates any shot contact. I’ve never seen a factory steel load loaded with a brush wad or a felt wad.

The main issues have already been discussed. High Pressure. Choke constriction. Gun design.
Posted By: ed good Re: Steel Shot through a 16 gauge - 03/08/22 08:33 PM
fusil, having seen guns with bores scored from shooting steel, i beg to disagree...

granted, its been awhile. perhaps steel shot wad columns have been improved...
Posted By: Rubberhead Re: Steel Shot through a 16 gauge - 03/10/22 02:36 PM
[Linked Image from live.staticflickr.com]
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com