doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein OT-What am I missing here? - 03/05/22 05:47 PM
Anybody?

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/925161550

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Mark II Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/05/22 05:57 PM
After being diluted by Remington and now Ruger the original Marlins are more collectible. I think that one is a bit over the top. You can always go down in price.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/05/22 06:00 PM
First thing you are missing is not being the seller. He will be very happy, if he ever gets paid. Three unrated buyers have run that price up on this auction. Time will tell if either of them ever pays for this item. On the plus side that is a 45 year old gun in almost 100% condition. I would call it a honest 98% gun which is a rare thing. But you are right it is too high for what it is.
Posted By: ithaca1 Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/05/22 06:08 PM
Yup!
He wont get paid.
BTDT.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/05/22 06:09 PM
Yousa!
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/05/22 06:26 PM
I thought it might be a listing from ed when I first saw it. Either that, or, there was something about 1975 Marlin 30-30s that I didn’t know about.

I get the “two idiot's at an auction” thing, but, the extra time involved in an internet auction seems to cool the jets, most of the time, on this particular brand of lunacy.

Most of the time.

Thanks.

Ted
Posted By: ed good Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/05/22 07:43 PM
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ....
Posted By: PALUNC Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/05/22 09:10 PM
Funny, I bought one back in the mid 70's at K Mart for $86. Your choice, 30-30 or 35 Remington.
Posted By: Nudge Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/05/22 09:50 PM
Yes,as others have said...ludicrous price, easily 4x over value. No rating bidders are suspicious.

NDG
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/05/22 09:51 PM
Originally Posted by PALUNC
Funny, I bought one back in the mid 70's at K Mart for $86. Your choice, 30-30 or 35 Remington.

After seeing the gunbroker ad, I ran to figure out where my 30-30 Marlin was, at least as nice as that one, but, when I saw how far back in the safe it was, I posted here, instead. Want to get my facts straight before I go to that much work.

Alas, mine has a push button safety, and will probably not be a collector item, at least not in my lifetime.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: crs Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/06/22 02:12 AM
Mmm, never owned a Marlin lever gun, Just Winchesters. Never sold any of them either.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/06/22 02:32 AM
Originally Posted by crs
Mmm, never owned a Marlin lever gun, Just Winchesters. Never sold any of them either.

I’m not a deer hunter/big game rifle guy. But, if I recall correctly, the Marlin makes for easier scope mounting. I don’t have any friends that can use iron sights anymore. The kid probably can.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/06/22 03:05 AM
Originally Posted by Ted Schefelbein
Originally Posted by crs

I’m not a deer hunter/big game rifle guy. But, if I recall correctly, the Marlin makes for easier scope mounting. I don’t have any friends that can use iron sights anymore. The kid probably can.

Best,
Ted
Makes for easier everything. Still not a $4k gun that I see.
Posted By: Tom Findrick Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/06/22 03:29 AM
Someone may buy at that price, but it won’t be me.
Posted By: graybeardtmm3 Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/06/22 08:41 PM
as i understand it....a fool and his money are soon parted...

best regards,
tom
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/06/22 09:07 PM
Up to $5600. Wish I had one to dump.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/07/22 12:44 AM

Best,
Ted

And now $10,024 to you... Gets stranger and stranger
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/07/22 03:26 AM
Sold. $10,024. Might have to dig mine out.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: AGS Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/07/22 09:05 PM
I am certainly not a Marlin or lever collector of any sort. I only own one of both and it is the same gun, a mint condition .256 from my boyhood and they are actually hard to find in any decent shape. It was one of those bucket list things that turned out to not have belonged there but the itch has been scratched. I also at that time was looking for a .218 Bee lever action for use on the farm. A number of conditions fueled that search such as common ammo with some single shots, handiness and safe training tool for grandkids. As mentioned, the ease of scope mounting precluded Winchester. After browsing a lot of ads, I realized that Marlin collecting is a serious sport, and anything at all with a JM stamp and high condition will start a feeding frenzy unexplainable to normal humans.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/07/22 09:48 PM
Originally Posted by BrentD

Best,
Ted

Strange is coming. Remember when I warned you a barrel of oil would be $200 this summer, and you laughed?

I’m laughing now.

Best,
Ted

Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/07/22 10:34 PM

Best,
Ted

Strange is coming. Remember when I warned you a barrel of oil would be $200 this summer, and you laughed?

I’m laughing now.

Best,
Ted

I'm still willing to wager you that it won't. And I believe you may have said this spring. Regardless, Marlin 336s are not barrels of oil.
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/08/22 01:18 AM
I suspect this auction is some kind of a fraud.

A 'show trail' with newly registered biders who are actually the supposed seller.

That's an honest $800 rifle in today's market. Watch the seller. Other items will appear.

I bought a similar rifle 2 years ago. A '75 in fact. No scope. Some hunting marks in the stock finish. I paid $450.

I stripped the 'Marshield' lacquer and found a nice piece of walnut underneath.

Varathane 'natural' stain and a satin wiping poly went back on.

It's a beautiful Marlin, and looks 100% better than this one. The metal is 99%.

You cannot convince me I wiped $9K off the value of the rifle.

This whole thing is just fantasy.
Posted By: John E Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/08/22 02:01 AM
Follow the money. That thing was stored in a Wayfair cabinet.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/08/22 03:37 AM

Best,
Ted

I’m laughing now.

Best,
Ted

I'm still willing to wager you that it won't. And I believe you may have said this spring. Regardless, Marlin 336s are not barrels of oil.

Regardless, your tag line would convince most to avoid wagers of any sort with you.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Shotgunjones Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/08/22 03:49 AM
References seem to indicate they only made 6 million of the model 336.

If 1% are in unused condition, that only leaves 60,000 for the serious Marlin collectors who must number in the hundreds.

What competition...

I have a pristine, mint, unused, genuine 870 Wingmaster for sale.

Bids start at $5,000.....
Posted By: KY Jon Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/08/22 04:15 AM
Throw in a thousand 209 primers and a couple pounds of Red Dot and your asking price seems almost a bargain.
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/08/22 04:16 AM
Good luck with that....

Best,
Ted
Posted By: keith Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/08/22 04:20 AM
This was a very strange auction. And it is hard to believe that any two bidders are dumb enough to bid that much for a .30-30 Marlin that is by no means rare. The made in Belarus scope is certainly no Lieca either. The seller has 11 more guns on Gunbroker currently. It will be interesting to see if the same unusual activity happens again.

That said, the market for a lot of guns is quite strong. I'm seeing selling prices for common lever guns that I never imagined. Ohio was a shotgun or muzzleloader only deer hunting state. But they recently legalized straight wall cartridge guns, so demand for lever action guns in calibers like .45-70, .444 Marlin, .44 Magnum, etc. skyrocketed.

I just saw a Russian SKS sell for $900.00, and it was in the same condition as one I bought at a local flea market for $120.00 several years ago. Even those much maligned vintage 12 gauge field grade doubles are selling for a good deal more than they were 10 years ago. I keep waiting for sanity to return to the gun market, but prices keep rising.

I suppose that demand for guns and other consumer goods could soon change though, as everybody is becoming poorer each passing day due to Biden inflation, and stock markets dragging down their investments and 401-K's. Printing trillions of dollars and vastly expanding the money supply will do that. Today, Vladimir Putin was threatening that he could drive up the price of oil to $300.00 a barrel. Ted's prediction of $200.00 per barrel oil doesn't sound at all far-fetched now. Trump was smart enough to order topping off the Strategic Oil Reserve in March 2020 when prices fell. Now it is being drained to prop up Altzeheimer Joe's sagging poll numbers. Who could've saw that coming?
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/08/22 01:30 PM

I’m laughing now.

Best,
Ted

Regardless, your tag line would convince most to avoid wagers of any sort with you.

Best,
Ted
You are still losing. As is Dave, but that's another story.
Posted By: LeFusil Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/08/22 04:07 PM
We’re all losing, you idiot.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/08/22 04:13 PM
Originally Posted by LeFusil
We’re all losing, you idiot.

You shouldn't talk about yourself like that - true as it is.
Posted By: Lloyd3 Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/08/22 05:04 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: eightbore Re: OT-What am I missing here? - 03/08/22 05:17 PM
I hope my computer doesn't explode for posting on this thread. Seriously, I know what's going on. The seller hired a shill to bid the Marlin up as high as possible, and the seller then forgot he hired the shill and bid against him. It remains to be seen whether the seller or the shill was the high bidder.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com