doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: K Crowley Webley and Sons or ? - 02/08/22 01:39 AM
I've had this piece for many years and just started using it recently. I love shooting it, bunged screws and all, but I have no idea who to attribute it too. As you can see from the photos it has a Webley Patent screw grip, and the barrels are marked Webley's Siemens Steel. But that's it for markings other than the full compliment of proofs on the flats. Does anyone have the Webley record pre-Webley & Scott?

[Linked Image from lodgetrail.com]

Posted By: Rocketman Re: Webley and Sons or ? - 02/08/22 02:35 AM
Definitely a higher grade Webley Screw Grip. Attribute it to Webley. Their grades met the defacto grade standards of the UK trade. Looks to be in good condition. Might want to have the barrels checked for useable wall thickness as the reproof diameters could indicate marginal walls. Screw Grip actions were not, to my understanding, used on best work guns. However, they were popular in the grade next to best work. The faux side plates and carved fences are nice touches and a clue that this is a higher grade gun. I'd expect some very nice wood on it, too. The screws can be set right (slots welded, clocked, recut, and reengraved) at reasonable cost and this is a gun worth a few bucks of restoration. Thanks for the viewing.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Webley and Sons or ? - 02/08/22 03:39 AM
Looks like original London proofs from 1887-1896? Defer to the proof gurus.
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Webley and Sons or ? - 02/08/22 12:06 PM
London reproof in 1989.
Posted By: K Crowley Re: Webley and Sons or ? - 02/08/22 06:47 PM
Thank you. Anyone in MN/WI you'd recommend for the work?
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Webley and Sons or ? - 02/09/22 11:53 AM
Dennis Potter would be a good choice. I don't have contact info for him, but I'm sure someone here does.
Posted By: K Crowley Re: Webley and Sons or ? - 02/09/22 12:52 PM
Thanks Larry!
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Webley and Sons or ? - 02/09/22 10:41 PM
No problem. Dennis is top notch. If he can't help you, he may well recommend someone who can.
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Webley and Sons or ? - 02/10/22 02:08 PM
PM me for Dennis’ contact information.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com