doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: big al1 2 bore die - 02/06/22 10:56 AM
Can anyone help me..I am looking someone to make a 2 bore reloading die.
Posted By: skeettx Re: 2 bore die - 02/06/22 02:04 PM
What outside diameter and thread pitch are you wanting?
Vice die or press die?

What hull? All brass, etc?
Which case length will you be using?
Are you only looking for a sizing die and the rest done by hand?

What final crimp if any, single shot?
Shot or slug loads?
For what gun?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2_bore

http://www.2-bore.com/home.html

Thanks
Mike
Posted By: big al1 Re: 2 bore die - 02/06/22 03:02 PM
I am trying to get the based where i do it as reloading tool.My cartridge length will be 3.50.What i need to know do you do it or know someone who can do it?
Posted By: GLS Re: 2 bore die - 02/06/22 03:36 PM
If you use brass hulls, and presumably one gun, you shouldn't need a resizing die. Brass is easier to turn, but the hard steel necessary to make a resizing die is more difficult. Rocky Mountain Cartridge can make custom size hulls. Gil
Posted By: skeettx Re: 2 bore die - 02/06/22 08:04 PM
The vise sizing die should be straight forward,

But I still can not envision what you want made.

Regular reloading dies will not fit in any existing press.
The case diameter is about 1.40 inches so the threaded die would have to
be nearly 2 inches in diameter.

Using the Lee Loader system
As GLS says resizing should not be an issue for a single shot.

Easy to make a depriming punch
Easy to make a repriming punch,

Easy to make a wad seating punch (or just use the repriming punch.

So if you are shooting a single shot, no need to crimp
just use waterglass on the over shot card wad.

Trying to help
Mike

p.s. shot or bullet load?

https://www.rockymountaincartridge.com/
Posted By: GLS Re: 2 bore die - 02/06/22 08:13 PM
Without regard to head's rim, the approximate OD of a 2 ga. is approximately 1.35 inches. RMC uses brass rods to make hulls. They might not have the necessary diameter rods for the job and may have to special order the brass or you could find a local machinist to do it. RMC recommends Duco Cement on the edges of the seated OSC. I use RMC brass in my .410 turkey gun and follow RMC's directions regarding the Duco Cement. RMC can also make the brass reloading kit. Gil
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: 2 bore die - 02/07/22 07:28 PM
Wow! Just checked the price at Speedy Metals and 12” of 1 1/2” 360 brass rod is $116.25! Then there is shipping and tax…..
Posted By: GLS Re: 2 bore die - 02/07/22 08:08 PM
Joe, one could get 3 hulls out of a foot of the brass. It'd last a lifetime. I looked at the site and saw where there is "cartridge" brass and another type brass alloy, the 360.
The 12" billet of 1.5" would weigh over 6.5 lbs. That's a lot of brass on the floor after making the hulls. Gil
Posted By: craigd Re: 2 bore die - 02/08/22 01:08 AM
Originally Posted by GLS
....I use RMC brass in my .410 turkey gun....
Sorry to go off topic Gil. If you ever find the need for more .410 brass, take a look at 9.3x74r brass. A 41 mag seating die can lightly size the mouth of a case, and crimp an over shot card. I just put a little epoxy in the bullet seating cup to make it a flat. Haven't done them for a while, but it can work fine.
Posted By: GLS Re: 2 bore die - 02/08/22 09:15 AM
Craig, thanks for the tip. I have plenty of unfired brass from RMC to take me to the Long Good-bye. Cowboy Action Shooters report over 3,000 reloads with RMC's brass in 12 ga. A few brass hulls go a long way with my turkey gun and the uncrimped rounds with Duco'd OSC's seem to work fine so far. Gil
Posted By: keith Re: 2 bore die - 02/08/22 07:55 PM
Originally Posted by GLS
Joe, one could get 3 hulls out of a foot of the brass. It'd last a lifetime. I looked at the site and saw where there is "cartridge" brass and another type brass alloy, the 360.
The 12" billet of 1.5" would weigh over 6.5 lbs. That's a lot of brass on the floor after making the hulls. Gil

I can't recall where, but I once read about someone who made brass shotgun or bore rifle shells by lathe turning the base section from solid brass round stock, and turning a separate piece of appropriate diameter brass tubing for the case hull. Then the hull section was soldered to the base to make a complete shotgun shell. Has anyone else ever heard of this? It would seem to be a viable method that would involve a lot less machining time, waste, and overall cost.
Posted By: craigd Re: 2 bore die - 02/10/22 01:49 AM
It was not for big bore arms specifically, and I might be remembering it wrong, but Cartridge Conversions by Nonte might have gone over several two piece cartridge case options. There are probably many other tutorials on this topic. Take care, keith.
Posted By: skeettx Re: 2 bore die - 02/10/22 01:58 AM
Back to big alI original question

Who do y'all know that will make a 2 bore reloading die.

Mike

p.s.I did not get enough data or info to give a proper response
Posted By: Der Ami Re: 2 bore die - 02/10/22 03:01 PM
skeetx,
Take a trip to Austin and talk to Joe Pieczynski (Joe Pi). ( see Youtubejoepieczynski). He can make anything, seems to be a good guy, and is pretty close to you.
Mike
Posted By: skeettx Re: 2 bore die - 02/10/22 04:42 PM
Yes, ONLY 500 miles to Austin

About like driving from your house to the Atlantic Ocean smile

This is not for me but big al1
Posted By: Der Ami Re: 2 bore die - 02/10/22 08:54 PM
I don't think it is 500 miles to the Atlantic Ocean.
Mike
Posted By: GLS Re: 2 bore die - 02/10/22 09:29 PM
Mike, since Big Al hasn't posted in 7 days after his OP, I'll step further into the thread with TX distances trivia:
From Atlanta to Houston is about 800 miles. From Houston to El Paso, just under 800 miles. From El Paso to Los Angeles, 800 miles. TX is wide... Gil
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com