doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: AGS Ithaca ID Question - 01/21/22 03:36 AM
Looking at an Ithaca NID. The water table is stamped with the gauge and F (it is a field grade). The number matching forend iron is stamped S F. Anyone know what the S signifies?
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Ithaca ID Question - 01/21/22 12:53 PM
Just a "WAG" her, bt Ithaca NID guns are sometimes stamped with a Star- normally on a field grade, could that mean the gun is a STAR grade field grade gun. Ask Walter Snyder, our resident Ithaca man-he will know for sure, if anyone does. RWTF
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Ithaca ID Question - 01/21/22 03:41 PM
Courtesy of Researcher
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=154196
Posted By: AGS Re: Ithaca ID Question - 01/21/22 04:17 PM
I am aware of the field, 1 , 1-S Grades in earlier guns but this is a mid to late 30's post cocking indicators NID. All were modern steel by then.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Ithaca ID Question - 01/21/22 04:58 PM
This is probably another case of no one left alive knows what those letters S or A on NID forearm irons means. S on a No. 2 --

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

A on a No. 2E --

S on a No. 2 --

S on a Field Grade --

S on a Field Ejector --

Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Ithaca ID Question - 01/21/22 05:44 PM
I’ve researched this same question as all my NID’s (CI’s & post) have the S on the forend iron. I’ve read all that Walt has written about it and unless some new documents turn up I’ve personally concluded that Researcher’s answer is as good as we’re going to get.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Ithaca ID Question - 01/21/22 09:31 PM
FWIW I've paged through my Lefever Nitro Special files and find A and S randomly on their forearm irons as well and found one with a W. I also see the A or S on Western Arms Long Range forearm irons.
Posted By: FallCreekFan Re: Ithaca ID Question - 01/22/22 12:08 AM
Hadn’t previously thought to look but just did and my NS and LR examples do have an S on the iron.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com