doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: battle Simson - 12/11/21 03:56 PM
Help with dating this guns age?
[Linked Image from i.ibb.co]
Posted By: skeettx Re: Simson - 12/11/21 04:26 PM
Your barrel proofs do not show well in the photo

https://www.shotguns.se/html/germany_1890-1945.html
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Simson - 12/11/21 04:44 PM
Interesting term >>Belgium 16Ga<< on the lower rib. Seems somewhat lacking of a full regiment of German proofs but wears Birmingham. I would say 2 the end of WWII and taken as a trophy of War back to England?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Simson - 12/11/21 04:54 PM
See what the Birmingham re-proof datecode might be.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: crs Re: Simson - 12/11/21 09:58 PM
My Simson has much more information and it is all readable, but I cannot make out anything of value on your barrel flats.
If you can get a good clear picture of every surface with marks , stamps. or writing it may be possible to be of assistance.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Simson - 12/11/21 11:50 PM
Originally Posted by ellenbr
See what the Birmingham re-proof datecode might be.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse

I cannot read the full "viewers mark"/date code due to the photo lack of clarity, but it would be from the 1980"s.
Posted By: tut Re: Simson - 12/12/21 11:42 AM
2 1/2" chambers but not marked 65MM. A bit strange. I think its certainly older then the 1980s.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Simson - 12/12/21 02:58 PM
Originally Posted by tut
2 1/2" chambers but not marked 65MM. A bit strange. I think its certainly older then the 1980s.

Tut;

The Bimingham proof house viewers mark that you can see at the rear of the left barrel flat (a circle with a B and a 1) was used starting in 1979 through the 1980's. I agree the whole thing about the proofing and the absence of other proof marks from Europe on the flats is strange. Viewing the photo, the barrels and the bottom rib I can see markings and if the original poster of this could supply a good clear photo of these markings maybe that will help with the mystery of the guns age. The markings on the bottom rib are likely the name of the importer, required by the ATF. As to the 65 mm vs. 2 1/2" chamber markings: apparently, the proof houses were not required to use metric markings until about 1989--you can also see that the bore size is in inches. If the original poster will provide a clear photo of the viewers mark, I can determine the exact year the gun was proofed.
Posted By: battle Re: Simson - 12/13/21 04:02 PM
Thanks guy i got it figured out.
Posted By: bushveld Re: Simson - 12/13/21 04:35 PM
Originally Posted by battle
Thanks guy i got it figured out.

OK, what is the answer to your original question?

Regards;

Stephen Howell
Posted By: battle Re: Simson - 12/13/21 06:00 PM
It was proofed before 1945.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Simson - 12/13/21 10:37 PM
Hum, from that pic, I would really like to know how someone arrived @ that. It really seems to be an end of the war cobbled together piece. Maybe the serial number had some significance.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Simson - 12/13/21 11:46 PM
The proof marks are not clear because the barrel flats were not polished bright after a reblue as they should have been ( including sides of under lugs, extractor, rear face of barrels, and muzzle).
Mike
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Simson - 12/14/21 01:24 AM
I don't really think that is a factor Ford. I inspected it pretty close.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com