doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Hal Springfield double sideplated - 12/09/21 04:31 AM
My kid picked up an el cheapo Springfield. Only proofmark on the barrels is a "Q" on underrib. Huge "Springfield" in script on the sideplates. Searched and could find nothing. Anyone else seen one?
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Springfield double sideplated - 12/09/21 01:24 PM
The Stevens Springfield was of course a boxlock, and marked Springfield Arms Company Chicopee Falls.
Crescent may have made a Springfield tradename gun, for an unknown dealer.
Crescent-Davis, Springfield, Mass. may have produced some Springfield Arms Co. doubles, which would be a Crescent sidelock
Look like any of these?
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OxZo5Tkvx2G8eYf747QR9B5RJdN6Siu5JGIhfguSXXQ/edit
Posted By: ed good Re: Springfield double sideplated - 12/09/21 01:56 PM
wow...neva seed dat one befo...
Posted By: Hal Re: Springfield double sideplated - 12/09/21 04:49 PM
Have some nice pics, but now can't get jpeg.box to upload them. Can I send them to someone here to transfer to the thread?
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Springfield double sideplated - 12/09/21 05:07 PM
Send a couple of ‘em to me, I’ll get them up.
Email in my profile.
Best,
Ted
Posted By: John E Re: Springfield double sideplated - 12/09/21 08:36 PM
I will venture to say that it is a Crescent sidelock that was assembled in the last days of Crescent-Davis-Stevens, 1930-1943(?). There are any number of guns that were assembled from remaining parts and labeled with what ever stamp was on the bench.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Springfield double sideplated - 12/09/21 09:19 PM
After the Crescent-Davis Arms Corp., Norwich, Conn. went belly up in 1935, the remains went to the J. Stevens Arms Co. factories in Chicopee Falls. Mass. From then until WW-II, all manner of combinations of Stevens/Springfield and Crescent/Davis parts emerged from the factory at Chicopee Falls.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Here is a Crescent marked STEVENS --

Here is a SPRINGFIELD built on a Davis frame --

Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Springfield double sideplated - 12/09/21 10:10 PM
Thanks John and Dave. FWIW in 1937 Crescent-Davis Arms Corp. was still listed in Springfield, Mass., so maybe the big move to Chicopee Falls was 1938?
https://books.google.com/books?id=5mhcE-yQzzsC&pg=PA13603&lpg
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Springfield double sideplated - 12/09/21 10:27 PM
Uploaded for Hal:

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

Doesn’t appear to be a high end sort of gun.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Springfield double sideplated - 12/09/21 11:21 PM
I believe that is a Forehand design Iver Johnson Arms & Cycle Works gun. The very few I've seen had a "Modified Diana" monobloc barrel. Dave and John would know.
https://doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=398487&page=all

Or maybe a H&A frown
https://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=398670
Posted By: Hal Re: Springfield double sideplated - 12/09/21 11:57 PM
Looks like a junky knockoff to me. Just strange no one seems to have seen one. My eyes are bad...does it really say Springfield? Goofy proofmarks on action flats?
Posted By: Researcher Re: Springfield double sideplated - 12/10/21 12:08 AM
Actually marked Spring Field Arms Co. Looks like a "trade branded" Hopkins & Allen --

Not long ago someone was on one of the sites with one of these guns marked King Nitro in a somewhat similar script as this Spring Field Arms Co.
Posted By: Drew Hause Re: Springfield double sideplated - 12/10/21 11:19 AM
1913 Shapleigh catalog King Nitro

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]

[Linked Image from photos.smugmug.com]
Posted By: Hal Re: Springfield double sideplated - 12/10/21 11:28 PM
Great job gentlemen. Kid says yes, the cursives on the sideplate stampings are identical. Sort of neat to see a new stamping and gun is 16 ga. Perhaps the guns were named by bore size. Great to have solid evidence when the catalogue store was operating. Let me know if you need any detailed images.

Hal
Posted By: John E Re: Springfield double sideplated - 12/13/21 08:09 AM
The OP's gun is a Hopkins & Allen 110.
Posted By: Hal Re: Springfield double sideplated - 12/13/21 05:26 PM
OP? Yes sure looks like Hopkins and Allen made these up for Shapleigh.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com