doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Shotgunlover Quality sinbgle shot - 12/04/21 10:43 AM
In the Holt's catalog came across this

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.c...221+++1598+&refno=172404&image=0

Having often mentioned quality singles, I thought it might be useful to have a reference to a representative specimen. Makes you wonder what sort of buyer ordered this type of gun and how he used it.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Quality sinbgle shot - 12/04/21 11:38 AM
Looks to have a flat rib so maybe a single barrel trap gun. Looks very nice. Lagopus.....
Posted By: SKB Re: Quality sinbgle shot - 12/04/21 01:21 PM
There is a very nice c bolt top lever, Westley single In Gavin's current catalog as well.

http://gavingardiner.com/BidCat/detail.asp?SaleRef=0044&LotRef=232
Posted By: eightbore Re: Quality sinbgle shot - 12/04/21 03:10 PM
Hunting gun, not a trap gun. 6 pounds plus, solid rib.
Posted By: Hal Re: Quality sinbgle shot - 12/04/21 04:22 PM
I knew a couple guys that hunted diving ducks strictly with singles. One guy shoots and the other is right there to swat any bird that is not belly up. They take turns at this and have a lot of fun in addition to seldom losing a crippled bird. I used to reserve my second shot from the full choke barrel on my doubles for swatting cripples. Once all you can see is the head of a crippled diver swimming away it often takes several shots to get a pellet in that head and sometimes even that system fails, especially under windy conditions. A retriever that knows how to dive and force the cripples to dive until they tire out then becomes a valuable asset. Nothing worse than losing crippled birds.
Posted By: eightbore Re: Quality sinbgle shot - 12/05/21 01:18 PM
I remember shooting a great sixty yard double on Potomac River buffleheads and then using most of a box of shells to put them in the bag.
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Quality sinbgle shot - 12/05/21 01:36 PM
Buffleheads and Eiders are darn near bullet=or, pellet proof. Before non=tox became mandatory, I used Federal Premium copper plated no. 4 shot for divers- Layout shooting, IMO, the tricky-est of all waterfowl gunning, in so far as dead ducks to shell expended ratio-- RWTF
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Quality sinbgle shot - 12/05/21 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by Run With The Fox
Buffleheads and Eiders are darn near bullet=or, pellet proof. Before non=tox became mandatory, I used Federal Premium copper plated no. 4 shot for divers- Layout shooting, IMO, the tricky-est of all waterfowl gunning, in so far as dead ducks to shell expended ratio-- RWTF

They were damn bullet proof back in The Days of Yore and Lead too. Add Golden Eyes to that list.

Bismuth works as good as lead or good enough that I can't tell the difference.
Posted By: John Roberts Re: Quality sinbgle shot - 12/05/21 05:34 PM
Hey Run, I've been wondering where you got your idea for your byline, "When The Man In Black Comes Around-Rev: 6-8"?, because it's certainly not a quote from Revelation, the 6th chapter, vs. 8, or anywhere in Chapters 6 through 8. Again, not judging, just asking what you mean by it...
JR
Posted By: AGS Re: Quality sinbgle shot - 12/07/21 01:21 AM
I would like to see the other side of the single listed by Holt's. I wonder if it has a false sideplate to connect the active side to.

Not a lot (or any) info there unless I am missing something. Seems odd just 2 weeks before auction.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Quality sinbgle shot - 12/07/21 01:54 AM
Originally Posted by AGS
I would like to see the other side of the single listed by Holt's. I wonder if it has a false sideplate to connect the active side to.

Not a lot (or any) info there unless I am missing something. Seems odd just 2 weeks before auction.

Pretty easy ..........just click on the picture provided by Holt's.

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.c...221+++1598+&refno=172404&image=6
Posted By: eightbore Re: Quality sinbgle shot - 12/07/21 05:20 PM
I want that gun. Too bad it's in enemy hands.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com