doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Some guns are just fun to look at. - 11/28/21 03:16 PM
I recently received this gun from a friend. Looking at it is similar to opening the back of a nice pocket watch and looking inside.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Sometimes they were sold with spare locks, probably so you didn’t have to work so hard by taking it apart to enjoy the view.

Best,
Ted
Ted, I remember seeing these guns with spare locks. Never had an opportunity to afford one at the time. Also, saw a very nice one with the locks missing. Taking the locks out is done in less than a minute with no tools.
Posted By: Nitrah Re: Some guns are just fun to look at. - 11/28/21 03:56 PM
I would think fairly reliable, stout parts, simple v spring.
It was sort of a joke, Daryl, goes along with the Purdey guy not caring how hard his gun was to close, as he didn’t close it.

Best,
Ted
I love drop locks and trigger plate actions.
Ted, I thought you were kidding, but some don’t know about these things. As I recall, most of the guns I have seen with spare locks were double rifles. They also used the droplock design in their Ovundo over/under.
Posted By: bsteele Re: Some guns are just fun to look at. - 11/29/21 12:28 AM
I hope you have as much fun with that gun as I did Daryl! It’s a great gun that isn’t so nice you feel bad about taking it hunting.
Posted By: gil russell Re: Some guns are just fun to look at. - 11/29/21 02:33 AM
Daryl: Thanks for sharing that. What a wonderful gun--and fantastic photos. Gil
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: Some guns are just fun to look at. - 11/29/21 11:06 AM
It is identical to my Droplock built in 1911. Mine is missing the barrels. The price quoted to rebarrel it is more than a decent new car. So I keep it as a barrel-less curio.
Shotgunlover, I do wish that you can complete your gun someday. Someone felt my gun important enough to have the renowned gunsmith, I. M. Crudgington , rebarrel the gun . Mr. Crudgington, along with Mr. Baker, was an author of the valuable three volume set of British Shotgun. I enjoy looking at Mr. Crudgington's work as much as looking inside the gun.
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: Some guns are just fun to look at. - 11/29/21 04:37 PM
Darryl,

The cost, around ten thou, is the primary inhibiting factor. I considered a high tech approach after seeing the capabilities of CAD and 3D scanning on Jay Lenno's garage. And using 3D printing to build a working SXS prototype of my own action.

I am pondering whether a 3D scan of the action body would yield sufficient data to build a monobloc and then into that fit Boehler Super Blitz tubes. I have visions of a ribless setup with a detachable sunken top rib in carbon fiber. Asking around I found that such a high tech approach is nowhere near as costly as a dovetail barrrel set made in England.

The approach is unorthodox, heretical to some. For me monobloc is fine, I do not mind the visible joint at all, and ribs, well my views on those have been often posted.
I suppose that soon your idea , or something similar, will be available. I think my barrels are from the 1960s. My gun is number 2 of 2. Maybe you have #1.
Posted By: shrapnel Re: Some guns are just fun to look at. - 11/29/21 05:48 PM
This is one of those that was just so nicely done, it was a shame, but I traded it off for something else I wanted and I don't even remember what that was. It is a Westley Richards 10 bore with massive barrels and frame, probably built on an 8 gauge frame. It weighed 12 1/2 pounds. It had Kilby barrels and Stanton sidelocks. The sidelocks were like the ones pictured earlier on this thread, jeweled, polished and all the screw heads were aligned.

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com