doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: SKB Interesting Lang - 11/28/21 02:39 PM
Lang patent trigger plate action, unique fences, she is a big girl too:

https://auctions.holtsauctioneers.c...++1413+&refno=++172908&saletype=
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Interesting Lang - 11/28/21 02:49 PM
Not sure I have ever handled a 12 bore that heavy.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Interesting Lang - 11/28/21 03:49 PM
Their price range seems to be almost an order of magnitude low for a gun like that.
Posted By: KY Jon Re: Interesting Lang - 11/28/21 03:57 PM
I have shot a cross over stock and would love to shoot a central vision setup. Pity they removed the chokes. Someone needs to come up with a micro welding technique or some other way to add metal to restore chokes.
Posted By: gunmaker Re: Interesting Lang - 11/28/21 04:08 PM
I like it…a lot. Would be a great duck and clay gun.
Posted By: BrentD, Prof Re: Interesting Lang - 11/28/21 04:20 PM
How does the safety operate? It looks a bit unusual and I am wondering if it pivots, which seems unlikely, but then that gun is very unusual in so many ways.
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Interesting Lang - 11/28/21 05:37 PM
I assume the gun was rebarreled. Not really a bad thing. I have a few with wonderful newer barrels that , now, are fine shooters.
Posted By: SKB Re: Interesting Lang - 11/28/21 06:00 PM
Originally Posted by BrentD
How does the safety operate? It looks a bit unusual and I am wondering if it pivots, which seems unlikely, but then that gun is very unusual in so many ways.

You are correct, the safety pivots. While it may seem unusual today, it was quit common of the early hammerless sidelocks. I have owned several by T. Woodward and I owned a Lange trigger plate patent that had a pivoting safety too. The Lang I owned may actually have been the same patent as the one above. You will see some early Scottish round actions that used the pivoting safety as well. The early hammerless snap action guns have always intrigued me.

Steve
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Interesting Lang - 11/28/21 06:28 PM
Heavy gun. I believe the Hurlingham weight limit for pigeon guns was like this:
1880 season - 8 lbs 2 oz
1882 season - 8 lbs
1883 season - 7 lbs 8 oz.

This doesn't at all look like a pigeon gun but when the barrels were swapped, wondering if the flat file cut rib went.
Posted By: SKB Re: Interesting Lang - 11/28/21 06:36 PM
I do not think this gun ever had a flat cut rib or was re-barreled. Look at the action shaping in the top view and note the concave transition between the flat tops on either side as well as the auction description. It looks like original barrels re-proofed to me.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Interesting Lang - 11/28/21 07:32 PM
MacNaughton used the pivot safety for most if not all of his round actions. The new MacNaughton skeleton actions from Dickson also have the pivot safety.

Ken
Posted By: SKB Re: Interesting Lang - 11/28/21 07:35 PM
Originally Posted by KDGJ
MacNaughton used the pivot safety for most if not all of his round actions. The new MacNaughton skeleton actions from Dickson also have the pivot safety.

Ken

I did not know that about the new McNaughtons.

Shouldn't you be packing for a deer hunting trip about now? No snow in the forecast.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Interesting Lang - 11/28/21 08:46 PM
Heading out again on Tuesday!

Look at the second picture Pendulum Safety

Ken
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Interesting Lang - 11/28/21 08:50 PM
Fluid steel in 1880 would be unusual. Maybe the proof marks could ferret it out.
Posted By: KDGJ Re: Interesting Lang - 11/28/21 10:39 PM
Daryl,

I have Rigby made in 1883 with original steel barrels. Not sure when gunmakers first started using steel barrels.

Ken
Posted By: SKB Re: Interesting Lang - 11/28/21 10:43 PM
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Edward Paton, 1870's I believe, steel barrels but a damasus top rib.
Posted By: SXS 40 Re: Interesting Lang - 11/29/21 05:40 AM
Lang, matched pair of Live Pigeon guns in original oak and leather case. Trigger plate actions, pivot safties, flat filed ribs, with somewhat nicer engraving on the fences.(IMO) Sorry, for the poor photo quality.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: Interesting Lang - 11/29/21 11:03 AM
If the action is cocked via the underlever, it is likely that the bar is solid, with no recesses cut for internal action parts, hence fairly heavy. Add the weight of the sideplates and the stout 3 inch chambered barrels and it all adds up. Still a pretty gun though, the smooth top tang with no top lever looks more elegant, to me at least, than top lever guns.
Posted By: lagopus Re: Interesting Lang - 11/29/21 03:38 PM
I have one in 8 bore but with a very plain action that is Nickel plated. The push forward underlever does cock the action and allows the barrels to drop; that and the swivel safety makes it a very easy gun to use with thick gloves on. Nitro proof damascus barrels but sadly now only really sees service for goose shooting in Scotland where lead is still legal away from wetlands. Nice guns but not the prettiest. The side plates are just dummies as it is a true trigger plate action. Lagopus.....
Posted By: Calgary Bill Re: Interesting Lang - 11/29/21 09:20 PM
Originally Posted by Daryl Hallquist
Fluid steel in 1880 would be unusual. Maybe the proof marks could ferret it out.

I have an 1880 Purdey bar-in-wood hammer gun with original Whitworth fluid pressed steel barrels. It was one of the first with steel barrels---I have seen reference to several other Purdey's with similar steel barrels.
Posted By: Argo44 Re: Interesting Lang - 11/29/21 10:36 PM
Whitworth fluid steel patent is from 1865 extended in 1879 for 5 years. 1880 is widely understood to be the first Purdey made with Whitworth steel barrels - the records exist. However, even though it was expensive, would not be surprised to find someone somewhere tried it out much earlier.

I'll repost the Reilly info on Whitworth Steel barrels just for information:

In January 1882 Reilly advertised for the first time guns equipped with Whitworth compressed fluid steel barrels (originally an 1865 patent extended in 1879 for 5 years).*xxx
[Linked Image from jpgbox.com]

The first extant Reilly with a confirmed Whitworth barrel is SN 24365, a 12 gauge SxS pigeon gun with 31” barrels - top lever, side fences, low hammers, flat file cut rib. It is dated per the chart to 1882.*xxx

(There is a Reilly .500 SxS BPE rifle from 1876 SN 19953, which appears to have steel barrels; however they may be blued Damascus, the gun description being minimal.)
http://www.rockislandauction.com/viewitem/aid/64/lid/534
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Interesting Lang - 11/29/21 11:39 PM
Looks like most adverts were in the early to mid 1890s:

https://shotguncollector.com/2017/06/21/the-beginning-of-the-steel-age/

https://www.doublegunshop.com/forum...rds=manganese&Search=true#Post465881

Although in 1873 some data was published.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com