doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Tamid Importing from Britain to Canada - 11/23/21 10:25 PM
Is there any of the members here imported a gun from Britain? I would like to understand the steps required, who to contact and approximate cost. I do believe it is far simpler process than in the USA.
I really need to understand if a broker in Canada is required or if the Canadian Postal system handles the brokerage.
Posted By: battle Re: Importing from Britain to Canada - 11/23/21 11:43 PM
Dont know about Canada, but i import here to USA
Posted By: Colonial Re: Importing from Britain to Canada - 11/23/21 11:49 PM
Try Prophet River or Irunguns ??
Posted By: Ted Schefelbein Re: Importing from Britain to Canada - 11/24/21 01:27 AM
The laws have likely changed, but, there was a time when you (Canadien guy) applied for a FAC (firearm acquisition certificate) for a particular gun, and then imported it. The FAC was about like an American having an FFL, but, without dealer type privilege, or, specific to the gun on the certificate.
You might want to contact James (Canvasback) here, he likely keeps his pencil sharp on those laws.

Best,
Ted
Posted By: Saskbooknut Re: Importing from Britain to Canada - 11/24/21 11:47 AM
https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/for...gun-from-a-family-member-in-the-UK/page2

The linked thread is not exactly what you wanted, but there is useful information there.
Holt's still lists two Canadian representatives, but Les Paul would be the one who may still active.
Posted By: Calgary Bill Re: Importing from Britain to Canada - 11/25/21 05:21 AM
Originally Posted by Saskbooknut
https://www.canadiangunnutz.com/for...gun-from-a-family-member-in-the-UK/page2

The linked thread is not exactly what you wanted, but there is useful information there.
Holt's still lists two Canadian representatives, but Les Paul would be the one who may still active.

I heard that Les has moved on to the next world. Can't be sure, but I heard that from reliable sources.
Perhaps, Canvasback can confirm the situation.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Importing from Britain to Canada - 11/25/21 12:03 PM
I don’t know if Les is still alive but I do know he’s been completely retired for a number of years now. Like a decade or so.

I have not imported from the UK. I have from France. One big reason I did that is because up until recently the French postal service was one of the few that would accept a firearm for international delivery. I’d get my IIC (free) and send a copy to the seller. He would use that to get a French export certificate (modest cost and hassle) and then pop the gun in the mail. Just that easy. Typically 5-6 working days later it would be at my door. And all for less than $150 Canadian.

Then the EU found out about that and decided that wasn’t nearly complex enough.
Posted By: tigertrout Re: Importing from Britain to Canada - 01/01/22 04:38 PM
If Les is not alive I have been speaking with a ghost.
Les is very picky about the work he does these days but he is still taking on certain jobs.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Importing from Britain to Canada - 01/01/22 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by tigertrout
Les is very picky about the work he does these days but he is still taking on certain jobs.

Interesting as two other well known gunsmiths in the area told me he had long ago stopped taking in work. As far as alive or not, I just hadn't heard of anyone being in touch with him in years.
Posted By: canvasback Re: Importing from Britain to Canada - 01/01/22 08:19 PM
Originally Posted by tigertrout

Interesting as two other well known gunsmiths in the area told me he had long ago stopped taking in work. As far as alive or not, I just hadn't heard of anyone being in touch with him in years.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com