doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Dust 2 Dollars Grade 5E Ithaca Double from 1927 - 11/20/21 06:31 PM
The factory letter indicates it was built with "All Extras" and shipped to Von Lengerke & Antoine in March of 1928.
Before being shipped the letter states "December 1927 - High Grades for Knick".
Not sure what that is stating??
[Linked Image from hosting.photobucket.com]
Posted By: jlb Re: Grade 5E Ithaca Double from 1927 - 11/21/21 04:43 AM
I think that all extras would include a Monte Carlo stock.

jlb
Posted By: Researcher Re: Grade 5E Ithaca Double from 1927 - 11/21/21 04:52 AM
Originally Posted by jlb
I think that all extras would include a Monte Carlo stock.

jlb

Maybe the original stock was a Monte Carlo, with a cheekpiece.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Grade 5E Ithaca Double from 1927 - 11/21/21 12:12 PM
I'm not speaking for Ithaca, but I wouldn't consider a MC stock an "extra" in the sense that it was just added garnishment. Stock configuration speaks of the intended use of the gun. Stocks configured with a MC comb are for rising birds, or rising targets. This is more a usefulness, or a need, than an "extra", IMO. However, there is no way for me to know what Ithaca meant, or intended, by the term "All Extras".
Posted By: eightbore Re: Grade 5E Ithaca Double from 1927 - 11/21/21 12:53 PM
I'm more curious about the "high grades for Knick" wording.
The Ithaca term "All extras" in the Ithaca world meant beaver tail fore end, single selective trigger, ejectors, vent rib and sometimes a recoil pad. MC stocks and cheek pieces were special order. Nice restocked and recolored gun imo.
Posted By: Stanton Hillis Re: Grade 5E Ithaca Double from 1927 - 11/21/21 01:33 PM
Thanks, Walt.
Posted By: Researcher Re: Grade 5E Ithaca Double from 1927 - 11/21/21 04:37 PM
The Ithaca Monte Carlo, cheekpiece, stock on the original Magnum-10 made for Capt. Chas. Askins --

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
Posted By: Kutter Re: Grade 5E Ithaca Double from 1927 - 11/21/21 10:37 PM
I wonder why the trigger guard tang was left so plain. It could have rcv'd at least the double border and a few accents like the top tang got.
I'd guess that the Initials on the TG bow were done after the orig engraving had been completed. Has that laid over the top look instead of
orig being incorporated in the TG engraving.
Is the trigger checkered (stippled ?) Looks like it kind of,,

Awfully nice looking Ithaca.
Posted By: mc Re: Grade 5E Ithaca Double from 1927 - 11/22/21 03:02 AM
If it was restocked mabey it was damaged the trigger guard lookes really plain the numbers look odd who knows
Posted By: Researcher Re: Grade 5E Ithaca Double from 1927 - 11/22/21 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by Kutter
I wonder why the trigger guard tang was left so plain.

I thumbed through all the NID pictures in my files and a single line around the serial number is the "standard" on the No. 5E trigger guard strap. Up into the high 45xxxx range it is a long U like the OP's gun and on the higher serial number guns it is a long O.

The single selective trigger is sometimes checkered and sometimes not. The triggers are checkered on the only double trigger No. 5E I have pictures of.
Posted By: Paul Harm Re: Grade 5E Ithaca Double from 1927 - 11/22/21 04:39 PM
great find - a just wonderful looking gun.
Posted By: Calgary Bill Re: Grade 5E Ithaca Double from 1927 - 11/22/21 08:25 PM
It's a beautiful gun. I hope that you will enjoy it for many years and that you shoot it well.
Bill
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com