doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: bls Swedish (Euro) Shotgun Slings - 11/19/21 02:59 AM
What would a shotgun sling as used in Europe, by say the Swedish, what would the sling have looked like (any image links?)

Where could I get one similar to what would have been original?

What the heck were they used for! Wellll....of course they were used to sling the gun. But, was there a certain place they used them, or a specific reason?
Thank you
Posted By: Researcher Re: Swedish (Euro) Shotgun Slings - 11/19/21 04:08 AM
When my Wife and I visited her relatives in Jamtland, Sweden, they all had modern SAKO bolt action rifles for their Elg hunting (like our Moose in North America), but their shotguns were the Husqvarna underlever hammer guns with about a 7/8 inch wide carrying strap fixed to the swivel on the barrels with the length adjustable end through the swivel on the stock. The Elg were just "winter meat to them" but the trophy that they were really proud of and got them talking was the Capercaillie. Unfortunately I have no idea how they used the carrying strap on their shotguns. To me a "sling" is the multi-adjustable strap used by target shooters.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Swedish (Euro) Shotgun Slings - 11/19/21 12:22 PM
I typically use AKAH, https://www.akah.eu/our-products/leather-products/, and up until the current environment, I ordered them from NECG or New England Custom Gun(https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/). GGCA might have a lead also.

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: L. Brown Re: Swedish (Euro) Shotgun Slings - 11/19/21 12:57 PM
My first classic sxs was a between the wars Sauer 16. Came with sling swivels. I was first exposed to them hunting Barbary partridge with a multi-national group in Morocco. Bought a sling in France for my Sauer a few years later. In addition to the Swedes, the French, Germans, and Austrians commonly use slings on their shotguns. IMO, they make a lot of sense if you're hunting open country birds where a sling doesn't get in the way. Comes in handy when you're taking pictures, doing something with the dog that requires 2 hands, etc. Better than putting the gun on the ground. Not a good idea in thick stuff, like when hunting grouse and woodcock. Just take it off. The swivels don't get in the way, and don't really look out of place on a shotgun.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Swedish (Euro) Shotgun Slings - 11/19/21 02:49 PM
The quick shortening sling is best for most guns, since a quick "tug" shortens then out of the way. An O/U with extra barrels will benefit from the clothbacked double buckle sling because it is easier to change barrels ( They can't be "pulled up tight" out of the way, but are easy to remove. Over 40 years I never felt the need to remove one because it was in the way). The braided ones make a lot of noise, when new. I never used one long enough to know if they are noisy when worn. They are not used for shooting because the swivel is soldered to the barrel and changes the POI. For me a sling is a requirement. These coments relate to the types shown in Raimey's NECG link, GGCA has them also.
Mike
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Swedish (Euro) Shotgun Slings - 11/19/21 05:34 PM
I've never been to Europe much less hunted there, but from pictures I've seen those guys use their slings to shoulder their guns with the barrels pointing down at each other's feet instead of safely pointed up in the air. I've tried it and it just doesn't feel right to me and people look at me as if I were nuts...Geo

p.s.: Ok, I'll admit that may not be the only reason they're looking at me that way.
Posted By: bls Re: Swedish (Euro) Shotgun Slings - 11/19/21 06:31 PM
Great replies and info. Appreciate the tips and contributions from everyone!
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Swedish (Euro) Shotgun Slings - 11/19/21 07:48 PM
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern
I've never been to Europe much less hunted there, but from pictures I've seen those guys use their slings to shoulder their guns with the barrels pointing down at each other's feet instead of safely pointed up in the air. I've tried it and it just doesn't feel right to me and people look at me as if I were nuts...Geo

p.s.: Ok, I'll admit that may not be the only reason they're looking at me that way.

George, in our country when a shooter is using a sling and the barrel is pointing up I politely ask him to point it down. I don't like to be following him in the brush and have the muzzle swinging past my face every few steps! Besides, if a quick shot is needed its much faster to mount a gun that is pointed down than up, IMO.
Posted By: Geo. Newbern Re: Swedish (Euro) Shotgun Slings - 11/19/21 09:02 PM
Originally Posted by Joe Wood
Originally Posted by Geo. Newbern

George, in our country when a shooter is using a sling and the barrel is pointing up I politely ask him to point it down. I don't like to be following him in the brush and have the muzzle swinging past my face every few steps! Besides, if a quick shot is needed its much faster to mount a gun that is pointed down than up, IMO.

Joe, I respect your opinion and I know you are a long time bird hunter. I am too. The European carry I'm referring to is barrels down with strap over the shoulder. I'd agree that a sans strap hands on gun down carry is safer than a sloppy port arms when no strap is present. When I carry the gun barrel down with the strap over my shoulder I have to dedicate my right hand to holding the barrels. What matters in any case is where the business end is pointing at all times. JMHO... Geo
Posted By: tmc Re: Swedish (Euro) Shotgun Slings - 11/19/21 11:27 PM
I have never hunted overseas but my older European friends said they had slings because game could be scarce and you could carry a gun a long time between realistic shot opportunities so the sling was to carry in between and save fatique. tmc
Posted By: Joe Wood Re: Swedish (Euro) Shotgun Slings - 11/20/21 01:08 AM
tmc, that sounds a lot like much of our quail hunting here in the Texas Panhandle. Sometimes miles between coveys these days.
Posted By: Shotgunlover Re: Swedish (Euro) Shotgun Slings - 11/20/21 06:22 PM
In countries that have serious hunter education and exams, and that includes Sweden, the suggestion when slings ar used is for the gun to be OPEN and slung on the shoulder with the barrels pointing down.

Generally speaking slings are used where and when there is more carrying than shooting, especially when dogs are used and the hunter will have to deal with his dogs a lot, like in hare hunting. It is also easier to carry game if the gun is slung. On the continent there is a lot of walking when hunting and very little static driven shooting.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Swedish (Euro) Shotgun Slings - 11/20/21 07:42 PM
I hunted in Germany over a 10 year period and cultivated the habit of generally carrying the gun with the sling over my right shoulder barrels up, in front. I usually had my right arm over the sling in a manner that I could control the muzzle( in wet weather I did the same, except usually had a glove covering the muzzle and the scope and action under my un buttoned jacket/mantel ). During drive hunts, when actually hunting "in line" carried it in my hands, but when walking from drive to drive carried it broken open( unloaded) barrels up slung over my right shoulder as described above.
The sponsor of large drives fed the hunters and drivers after the hunts were over. At these events, a "court" was held and anyone violating safety rules were punished( from being required to take a drink through the barrels of his gun to being "invited to never return". In all that time I was never called to court.
Mike
Posted By: oskar Re: Swedish (Euro) Shotgun Slings - 11/21/21 02:07 PM
I like slings on my shotguns, invaluable waterfowl hunting as there is no place to set a shotgun down. Very many places there are long walks through farm yards, through parking lots, away from places until you are beyond safety zones and long walks back with a limit of birds. Carrying muzzle down on the left shoulder with my left hand on the forend, ust a quick twist and the sling is off the shoulder and the shotgun can be swung up to shooting position.

I have a woven one that came with one of my drillings and another leather and cloth one that I bought in the Franconia store in Germany that fit Euro width sling swivels.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com