doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Researcher Baker Paragon Ejector - 11/17/21 10:06 PM
There is a Baker Paragon Ejector in the Morphy Auction listed as a 20-gauge.

https://auctions.morphyauctions.com/_C__BAKER_GUN_CO_PARAGON_SIDE_BY_SIDE_SHOTGUN-LOT515026.aspx

I don't see an F after the serial number. I've always heard the 20-gauge wasn't added to the Baker offerings until the H & D Folsom years. The serial number on this gun is 201116. I've recorded Paragon Ejectors 201055F and 201085F.
Posted By: ChiefAmungum Re: Baker Paragon Ejector - 11/18/21 12:11 AM
I would think it is really a 16. The two Bakers I have owned, both 16's did not have the gauge marked on them. If it's a 20 it's kinda heavy too.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Baker Paragon Ejector - 11/18/21 01:06 AM
Only along the same vein as being the same auction, but I think this Morphy Auction has about every Vierling made in Austria or Germany?

Serbus,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: keith Re: Baker Paragon Ejector - 11/18/21 04:03 AM
The only 20 gauge Baker I have has an F after the serial number. I never weighed it, but it seems rather stout for a 20. I suppose this gun could actually be a 16 gauge. I've bought several shotguns that were advertised as a different bore size than they actually were. All were sold by FFL Dealers who should know better. On the other hand, I suppose it is also possible that whoever stamped the serial number neglected to add the letter F.

Am I the only one who thinks there is something amiss with the engraving on this Paragon Grade? I am not a Baker expert by any stretch, but I have never seen such bad engraving on a Baker. A lot of it looks like it was done last week... and not done well.
Posted By: Nudge Re: Baker Paragon Ejector - 11/18/21 02:04 PM
Researcher,

I've recorded 34 other Paragons, of which 6 were stamped F, the earliest being 2,266 F (which is the only other 20 gauge Paragon I have seen in the Folsom era, but I don't have the dimensions) and the last is 201,171 F. It's definitely is a little odd that there's no "F" but the rest of the gun looks right to me. And I know I have seen a Folsom-era Deluxe model which also did NOT have an "F."

Keith,

I agree it's interesting engraving. It's been a while since I looked through my pictures so I can't recall if I've seen that Ithaca NID-style stipling on the top the the frame behind the breach balls. But the rest of the gun seems right enough, and it's also such a late gun, that I personally think it's right. Tough to know as I've seen so few. But as was pointed out, the bigger question might be is it truly a 20 gauge...

CORRECTION: OK, it has really been a while. I looked through pics and a bunch do have that stipled engraving on top of the frame...I'm off my Baker game for a while.

Daryl H. should chime in!

NDG
Posted By: Daryl Hallquist Re: Baker Paragon Ejector - 11/18/21 02:47 PM
The gun appears to be a typical Folsom Paragon. Although Baker Gun and Forging company did not make twenty gauges, Folsom made quite a few with the Baker name. I've seen a handful of Baker Paragons in 20 gauge and this is similar .
Posted By: Researcher Re: Baker Paragon Ejector - 11/18/21 03:59 PM
Looked typical Folsom to me. Just surprised by the lack of an F.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com